• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to buy?

wanderlust37

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) Where do you want your home resort to be? Maui

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? I would like to be in Maui for most of the time

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations? Honolulu, New York, San Francisco, Orlando, Paris

4) How many people do you usually travel with? 2 - 4

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? Anytime

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? Nope

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? Yup

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 4+

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? $100,000

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? $5000

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? Nope

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?Yes

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I cannot suggest what you want---but I know my 'friends' here at TUG will be able to suggest things that'll be far less than 100K !!!

Read on.................as they come in

Pat

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? I would like to be in Maui for most of the time

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations? Honolulu, New York, San Francisco, Orlando, Paris

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? $5000

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?Yes

wanderlust37

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Pat, I should have clarified that I was actually looking to spend a couple months a year in Hawaii. Still trying to decide between Waikiki and Kihei

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wanderlust, I dropped a reply in your other thread.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

I'm thinking we need to add a question to the survey! "how many weeks a year do you intend to occupy?"

Clearly, your situation is unique (to this post). It would be possible to use timeshare systems (like Worldmark or Wyndham) to string many weeks together in the islands; one resort or more. It would be doable, but it would require planning and effort and would not supply a steady stream of 4+ star rentals.

What you really are searching for is a fractional ownership. There are a number of real estate companies that have listings and offerings for Maui fractionals. You can buy as little (1 week) or as much (12 months?) as you want. It's all about the $$$$. 60 day fractionals are pretty common (on initial glance) but I'm sure you could buy 30 here and 30 there. Some allow you to trade/sublet.

So, why not give Syed a call and ask about fractionals; I'm sure he can help or reccomend a property/broker who can help you. If you purchase a fractional, you could trade (NY and Paris are NOT good timeshare options) but more likely, you would sublet a week and use the income to rent in NY or Paris (a good VRBO option).

$100K seems low for Maui for 2 months; I'm thinking for 4*, it maybe closer to $125--but that's just on initial glance. Not sure what the annual fees are, but they would be substantial.

Good luck!

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, I am thinking Hilton. The Maui property is still under construction, so you wouldn't be able to buy a resale there right away. You could buy any of their other properties and use those points to book Maui, but I am not sure that would be the right thing to do.