• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What they don’t tell you about surviving COVID-19

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
What they don’t tell you about surviving COVID-19
'Recovered' doesn't mean healthy again

Most people who catch the new coronavirus don’t experience severe symptoms, and some have no symptoms at all. COVID-19 saves its worst for relatively few.
ICU nurse Sherie Antoinette has seen the serious cases first hand.
The lucky ones — if you can call them that — recover, but not in the sense that their lives are back to normal. For some, the damage is permanent. Their organs will never fully heal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have read many reports of people who survived the virus.
There was a man in our area, 61, healthy, no health issues, thought he would not be seriously sick if he contracted the virus. Diagnosed and 2 days later was so seriously sick, he was put into a drug-induced coma. That was March 25. He survived, and was finally released last week, June 17th!!! Almost 3 months later. He will have months and months of rehab to gain strength back as he lost 30 pounds, and is still very weak.
This story just reinforces why I do everything possible to stay safe.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We may determine that Covid-19 is more akin to polio in regards to its lasting impact to survivors.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what I keep trying to impress on family and friends. Lung, heart and nervous system damage will change a persons quality of life forever. I am sick of people talking about the 99% survival rate. Surviving does not = making a full recovery in all cases.
Edited to mention my 60 year old relative who was on a vent now has permanent heart damage and the kidneys are totally shot. We are blessed that he lived to see his first grandchild who was born last week of course however he is never going to have the same quality of life post COVID.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Fear mongering is not helpful either.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Fear mongering is not helpful either.

That’s never helpful. But, I don’t see that here. I see this as a clear warning with evidence to support it. This isn’t fear mongering based on fiction, as some do.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
That’s never helpful. But, I don’t see that here. I see this as a clear warning with evidence to support it. This isn’t fear mongering based on fiction, as some do.

I think, my opinion, is that a little fear is a good thing.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I think there is plenty of fear out there about COVID-19
Some will become sick. Some will die. Some will have lasting effects from this disease.
Since it doesn’t seem to be going away we all need to do what feels best for all of us. Some need to shelter in place and some need to get on with living.
Life is a crap shoot.
Live your best life now tomorrow isn’t guaranteed . COVID 24/7 isn’t healthy for anyone’s psyche .

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I think, my opinion, is that a little fear is a good thing.

Yes, absolutely. However, "fear mongering" is not. Remember, there is a difference between "fear" and "fear mongering".

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yes, absolutely. However, "fear mongering" is not. Remember, there is a difference between "fear" and "fear mongering".
I probably should have added, again from my perspective since some people get touchy :rolleyes:, a little fear is a good thing if it results in being cautious.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I probably should have added, again from my perspective since some people get touchy :rolleyes:, a little fear is a good thing if it results in being careful.

Yup, I see no reason to throw caution to the wind like others and rationalize C19 as just another risk factor.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are not fearful. Just cautious. This disease is not going away, and really it's just getting going. It will become harder and harder to avoid as more people are infected and don't show symptoms. We are just trying to stay safe until effective treatment and/or vaccine is developed. This may be a really long haul.

Our local numbers have increased between 300% and 500%. The counties have dropped back to 'phase 3' from phase 4. As of Wednesday midnight, No bars, No groups over 10. Masks MUST be worn in public. No nursing home or homeless shelter or prison visits.

'Bout time.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
OMG! That article is scary but it isn't surprising. COVID-19 is proving to be an unknown beast. We're not scared but we are being very cautious - to the point that we had to piss off my aunt because we would not go visit her before she moved from the state. She couldn't understand why we weren't out just flitting about like she was doing. God bless and protect her because she is one of the "It's nothing. It'll blow over soon" people.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
OMG! That article is scary but it isn't surprising. COVID-19 is proving to be an unknown beast. We're not scared but we are being very cautious - to the point that we had to piss off my aunt because we would not go visit her before she moved from the state. She couldn't understand why we weren't out just flitting about like she was doing. God bless and protect her because she is one of the "It's nothing. It'll blow over soon" people.
We pissed off dh's sister when we wouldn't go over to their house for drinks and appetizers.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If there was one poison jelly bean among 100 jelly beans - would you be fearful in eating one of the 100?

How much would you be willing to be compensated to eat just one? 5? 20?

This is not fear-mongering.
Facts don’t care about your opinion or fears.

I suggest reading the Undoing Project by Michael Lewis - story of a famed Psychologists (Daniel Kahneman and his colleague Amis Tversky) that won a Nobel Prize in Economics - to truly get an idea of what people are willing to risk for gain vs. insurance against the same outcomes (1/100 bad outcome vs. 99/100 good outcome).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I see it as not fear mongering but as reminder of the effects of COVID-19 for those who are slowly letting our guards down.

We are definitely suffering from quarantine fatigue. Last week we made our first and only grocery store run since March 14, to Costco during senior hours and we were the first to be in and out, all under 20 minutes. Tomorrow we will be dining at our clubhouse restaurant with a couple who are close friends of ours. They have been very cautious about COVID-19 exposure as well. We have also committed to hosting July 4th dinner with the same couple, followed by fireworks viewing from our home. We have the best views of fireworks from our home and they have come over every year during July 4th to have dinner and watch fireworks. After that we have no other plans that would expose us unnecessarily. We are planning to cancel our Newport Coast vacation in September. Time will tell whether we will also be cancelling our Thanksgiving trip to Rancho Mirage/Palm Desert area.

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quarantine fatigue is a real thing. DH has been getting bouts of anxiety about getting ill as he’s in a high risk group so we have definitely been cautious in going out. Part of his anxiety is also because our 25 year old daughter who’s living with us has not gone out with her friends so as to not put us at risk, and that’s been getting her down.
But when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. We are thankful that no-one in our immediate family has fallen ill. and DH has promised me that when this is all over, he’ll never say no to any travel destination I suffer.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
The article starts as follows:
"Most people who catch the new coronavirus don’t experience severe symptoms, and some have no symptoms at all. COVID-19 saves its worst for relatively few."

I take this to mean that 99% (or so) of people who get Covid do not experience long term consequences. They may get a mild case with no symptoms or very mild symptoms. The article is clear that the unlucky few are the ones who are experiencing long term consequences.

Reading this article did not scare me at all. I have read all of this before that the unlucky few who get a severe case and recover are not the same as before. This is very sad and scary for people in this group.

Please do not attack me for my interpretation. This just does not scare me. Maybe if I or someone I care about ends up in the unlucky 1% I will change my mind and you can all say "I told you so." I hope not. :censored:

P.S. I still remember the early days of HIV/AIDS in the 1980s. There was so much widespread fear and miscommunication in the early years. This reminds me of then. Much of what we believed in the beginning of the HIV/AIDS epidemic turned out to be false. We have never found a vaccine but there are treatments so you do not hear too much about HIV/AIDS anymore even though close to 40 million people have it worldwide. I know that if you are not in a high risk group, you would not worry about getting HIV/AIDs now so many people would say this is not a good comparison. But if you remember the early days, we were told you could get it by drinking out of a glass of water or touching a person with AIDS. Remember Lady Diana visiting AIDS wards in the early days and touching people before the science said it was safe. I so wish Lady Diana was alive now. She had a heart of compassion for people with infectious diseases. She did not wait for science to catch up to comfort people.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
The problem is still what we don't know about the disease. The first assumption was that it was a respiratory disease, but now we are suspecting that it attacks the vascular system. I think it will be some time before we are able to assess the true damage the virus does to young people who catch it and have enough reserves to absorb the damage but could feel the effects in later years as they age.

I think polio is a good analogy. Most people who caught polio were asymptomatic. Only a small percentage had the virus attack the brain or spinal chord. If you have met a survivor of paralytic polio, they have good days and they have bad days, but few are fully recovered.

We just don't know what it REALLY does when it infects a person.