• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What stupid laws have you encountered while vacationing?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I quit smoking 2 years ago. However, whenever I go to Honolulu, I still find it stupid that it is criminal to smoke in a public park. Look, if someone is 500 plus feet away from anyone else sitting under a palm tree having a smoke, what’s the harm to others? Ok, if they leave their butt behind, that is ignorant, but not criminal. I suppose a littering fine might be in order but not criminal charges. Yes, let’s assume they are a careful smoker and make sure no lit cherry is smouldering.

7e47d8cb5b4b60d819323c658dce8c48.jpg

So, what stupid law or laws have you seen while vacationing in a certain place? Why do you think it’s stupid?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
I agree with you that smoking is stupid. Unfortunately the government uses our tax dollars to pay for smokers' health problems; a stupid law i encounter on my travels.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In Florida, it is illegal to fart in public after 6pm on Thursdays.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
Durian is a forbidden fruit in Singapore hotels and on public transportation..but sold in my neighborhood Safeway in Colorado.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Had to become a private club member in order to buy beer in a dry county in Arkansas once.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Back in the 90's I went to Singapore and my wife packed a box of chewing gum in my bag as a surprise. Chewing gum in illegal in Singapore. You really don't want to break the law in Singapore. You end up getting caned….

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's one that's perfect for an election year...

Virginia state’s Code of 1930 includes a statute prohibiting corrupt practices or bribery by anyone other than political candidates.

Brett

Reaction score

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
I quit smoking 2 years ago. However, whenever I go to Honolulu, I still find it stupid that it is criminal to smoke in a public park. Look, if someone is 500 plus feet away from anyone else sitting under a palm tree having a smoke, what’s the harm to others? Ok, if they leave their butt behind, that is ignorant, but not criminal. I suppose a littering fine might be in order but not criminal charges. Yes, let’s assume they are a careful smoker and make sure no lit cherry is smouldering.

7e47d8cb5b4b60d819323c658dce8c48.jpg

So, what stupid law or laws have you seen while vacationing in a certain place? Why do you think it’s stupid?

I agree, that law may seem stupid, but I have friends who are extremely allergic to any kind of cigarette, or cigar smoke; and if the wind is blowing in their direction they cannot breathe. Plus, where do people put their burnt out butts? In the sand!!!!
It all comes down to consideration for the other person.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bob McDonnell knows that!
But this activity is legal in Virginia
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...tion-for-violating-vancouver-bylaws-1.5456776
Either making up these laws simply makes lawmakers feel like they are doing something or they are looking to create so many unenforceable laws that every citizen is guilty of violating at least one law. Think about locals where they hand out hypodermic needles (legal) that end up on the street but you can't give out straws to paying customers without breaking the law.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

I hear ya.

I know folks extremely allergic to cigarette smoke as well. But should someone smoking be criminal especially when the purchase of these products are legal. If the product was illegal, I would think differently.

I also know people who are extremely allergic (to the point that breathing it in causes the wind pipe to close) of peanuts. Should we make eating a peanut butter sandwich or chewing nuts in public criminal because some are deathly allergic to it?

I agree smoking near anyone is ignorant. Whenever I breathe it in now it does make me nauseous. However, I don’t see it as a criminal act.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I can’t remember the location, but one timeshare we stayed at did not offer salt and pepper and blamed health laws.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I believe some of this has relaxed over the years, but in Pennsylvania you can't buy beer or wine in a grocery store. You can take out 6 packs or quarts of beer from a bar, but if you want to buy a whole case, you have to go to a licensed beer distributor. Wine and liquor can only be bought in a state operated store. I almost flipped when I went to Illinois and saw beer, wine and liquor for sale in the grocery store. But they did have steel bars to put around the liquor shelves on Sunday

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Blue Laws:
Texas-
No hard liquor sales on Sunday
Car dealerships cannot be open both on Saturday AND Sunday (usually closed on Sunday)
Grocery stores could not sell clothing on Sunday (Has been repealed)

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe some of this has relaxed over the years, but in Pennsylvania you can't buy beer or wine in a grocery store. You can take out 6 packs or quarts of beer from a bar, but if you want to buy a whole case, you have to go to a licensed beer distributor. Wine and liquor can only be bought in a state operated store. I almost flipped when I went to Illinois and saw beer, wine and liquor for sale in the grocery store. But they did have steel bars to put around the liquor shelves on Sunday
Those laws have been relaxed. You can buy beer at most grocery stores. The caveat is that there is a limit on how much you can buy and it has to be a separate area and checkout. The funny part of course is you can go right back in and buy the limit again as the law reads per transaction. Also the beer distributors now can sell less than a case. And don't get me started on the three tier distribution laws.

In related news appropriate for this thread the big boys were trying to pass a law in FL that would make every beer go through a distributor. That would mean a brewery with a taproom would have to sell to a distributor and then buy it back to serve it. Cigar City led the charge against it saying they would leave the state. I never heard the outcome but assumed it did not pass.......yet.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Places that don't allow alcohol on public beaches. It's just so, so wrong.

That's what a Yeti (or if Canadian, a Timmie's) cup is for! :)
Not that we've ever done that! ;)

~Diane

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

~Diane

I like to disguise it in a slurpee. did I say that?

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score

~Diane
Yes, Diane, we all figure out how to get around it, but it sure is nice to go to the Outer Banks with a huge cooler full of tasty beverages and not have to worry about hiding it like I do on Hilton Head.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Myrtle Beach -- No private umbrellas closer to the beach than the concessionaire's.
They said it was an ordinance, but then, they may have been blowing smoke.