• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What should I Buy?

zygetsu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone and thanks for the help. I'm new to this so I'm going to fill out this survey and then give my take. I'd appreciate any help.

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

Yes I like to stay local and just get out of the house. Arizona, Phoenix Area. Willing to travel a bit but would not want to have to exceed a typical 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

Home, however, o have family in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts. So some flexibility would be nice.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Arizona, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts.

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?

2-4 typical on the 2 side but would do the 2 bed type stays.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

My travel is based on leave I bid on a year in advance. Which is why I'd like something with the ability to do locally. This would ensure use.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

Yes as my leave from work is typically bid a year out.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

Majority of the time but flexibility for a short stay does interest me.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

At the least is like a minimum of a StayBridge suite. I.e. Dishwasher, kitchen, pool, etc. Anything above that is just bonus.

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

Depends on payment type.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

I can afford a decent amount but would prefer monthly payments with option to pay in full.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

No.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Yes.

So based on what I've seen I'm thinking WorldMark would work for me. I was thinking in the realm of 50,000-100,00 points.

However, I'd like some feedback. I'm not sure I'd this is one of those bigger pictures type things. Based on 100k points that's 10.5 red weeks, 14.2 white weeks, or 20 blue weeks. Arizona seems to be mostly red and white with some resorts having blue.

Plus there is the value of automatic banking is I don't have the chance to use.

Anyways maybe I'm thinking incorrectly so is appreciate any help with understanding what I'm missing.

Thanks for any help. Sorry if this is the wrong section.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
You might want to checkout www.wmowners.com/forum. This is a site by Worldmark Owners for Worldmark Owners. Wyndham and Worldmark have nothing to do with it. Besides providing a lot of information it has has Accounts for resell.

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
Hi everyone and thanks for the help. I'm new to this so I'm going to fill out this survey and then give my take. I'd appreciate any help.

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

Yes I like to stay local and just get out of the house. Arizona, Phoenix Area. Willing to travel a bit but would not want to have to exceed a typical 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

Home, however, o have family in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts. So some flexibility would be nice.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Arizona, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts.

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?

2-4 typical on the 2 side but would do the 2 bed type stays.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

My travel is based on leave I bid on a year in advance. Which is why I'd like something with the ability to do locally. This would ensure use.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

Yes as my leave from work is typically bid a year out.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

Majority of the time but flexibility for a short stay does interest me.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

At the least is like a minimum of a StayBridge suite. I.e. Dishwasher, kitchen, pool, etc. Anything above that is just bonus.

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

Depends on payment type.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

I can afford a decent amount but would prefer monthly payments with option to pay in full.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

No.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Yes.

So based on what I've seen I'm thinking WorldMark would work for me. I was thinking in the realm of 50,000-100,00 points.

However, I'd like some feedback. I'm not sure I'd this is one of those bigger pictures type things. Based on 100k points that's 10.5 red weeks, 14.2 white weeks, or 20 blue weeks. Arizona seems to be mostly red and white with some resorts having blue.

Plus there is the value of automatic banking is I don't have the chance to use.

Anyways maybe I'm thinking incorrectly so is appreciate any help with understanding what I'm missing.

Thanks for any help. Sorry if this is the wrong section.
50k-100k?? Yikes, that seems aggressive unless you are looking to travel the ~10.5 weeks you quoted? WM (Worldmark) has cash options so you could probably do a significantly smaller account than this (think 10k or 12k). And yes, points "autobank" (save for next year), but they do expire so unless you're planning on the 5-10 weeks, I suggest thinking smaller.

WM has resorts in Arizona (Phoenix area + Scottsdale + Overgoard + Lake Havasu + Pinetop + Oro Valley), Nevada (Tahoe + Vegas) and only one resort in PA by the way.

I am a WM owner and loooove my WM. Feel free to ask any questions! Based on the AZ resorts alone, if they interest you, I think WM could be a good fit (based on my experience). My approach would be to buy on ebay (how I got mine) or via here on TUG marketplace or wmowners if you want to go on another site (I don't go over there because I like this site so why add another, but I hear lots of folks find value over there).

If you buy (resale, OF COURSE!), note it could take up to 6 months to close.

Let me know if you have specific questions!