• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Should I Buy?

AJCU

Reaction score
Within a month after Hawaii reopening from COVID we were able to exchange my parents timeshare for a week at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Villas (WKOV) in a 1 bedroom. We loved our trip, partially because there was no one there ;)

Fast forward a bit, we were able to go the following may on a Getaway award booked through (again) my parent's timeshare and Interval in a one bedroom at WKOV. While we were there, my partner was wooed into a timeshare presentation due to $250 credit for Pina Coladas at the bar. My parents always said that points timeshares were a lot more expensive and out of our means (which I generally agree for when iw as growing up). After hearing the presentation, we denied the "opportunity to buy at a great price" but were able to book an Encore package for 5 nights in a 2 bedroom at Nanea.

Between these trips I extensively researched the Vistana, Marriott and Hilton programs. To me, the best deal seems to be Vistana, and I am still trying to understand what my options are to make an educated purchase if/when we are ready. After a third trip to Hawaii staying at this property, we are pretty sold on the Westin product, and generally like where else you can exchange/use our points at. The maintenance fees are high but it is also Hawaii. I would prefer to use our timeshare in Hawaii, because it is an easy and quick flight from rainy Seattle for us, so the ability to book at a home resort there seems to be awesome for me, but I am also wondering if there is a better way. Many people trade points into higher tier properties, but my hesitation with that is flexibility and availability. You can always book something, but what are the odds that you will be able to book the week you want, which is where I like the Vistana program a bit more.

As an aside, i have looked into this Abound program, and am really wondering what the draw is. It wakes 148,100 Star Options to book a 2 bedroom, at any resort, any week in Hawaii. With the Abound program, it looks like you would transfer those to Abound, and then not be able to book any week, which means you will not be able to book any week of the year at the other Sheraton/Westin properties. AND, the maintenance fees are higher. I am confused, but maybe someone can clarify why there is excitement about the Abound program. Regardless, I am here to learn what I don't know, and see if I should be looking into something else, regardless of the program. We are not unfamiliar with timeshare philosophy the traditional way, but those weeks are becoming harder to use. Growing up, we went all over the place with my parents timeshare, but now, availability is mostly dried up unless you are lucky or place a request far enough out.

Sorry if that was an essay, but I am trying to determine what the best options are out there from a purely objective standpoint. The numbers need to make sense in our minds.

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?
Hawaii, but also open to visiting and discovering other tropical and snowy destinations. We love skiing, but are pretty self sufficient for skiing between friends, cheap motels and winter camping.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
If in Hawaii, yes.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Whistler, Caribbean occasionally, Vancouver Island and whatever else looks enticing. We are interested in other destinations like New York, Japan, etc, but most Timeshare usage would be in North America.

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?
2-6, depends if friends come along.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
For now, anytime, in the future, a school schedule will likely be in play.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
Generally, yes.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
Yes.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
3+, but I think we all agree the higher the nicer :)

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
Currently we would like to spend less than $15k. This also might be about a year out.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
I would like to be below $2500. I am willing to pay more for guaranteed bookings.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
Yes.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
Yup!

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
I'll toss my opinion in here. I would suggest buying Westin Kaanapali ocean resort villas (north or south) on the resale market. I suggest this above Nanea, because nanea is points based and WKORV is weeks, and since WKORV is a mandatory resort, you will have access to staroptions to book other resorts at 8 months, where with Nanea resale you will not. You missed the deadline for resales to be included in abound, but I don't see that as a big loss and we will usually want to use your home in hawaii, especially considering the maintenance fees for hawaii are higher, and trading to mainland locations is usually a trade down. you can get into an every year two bedroom for around 20k through here or Syed at Advantagevacations. There is SOME resale value to the weeks at WKORV and after a few uses will have paid for itself. You won't regret MAUI EVER!! once you get settled, you could research what kind of additional purchase it would take to gain access to the abound program if that is necessary, but as I stated above, those resorts would be a step down from what you own.. IF you decide to buy from the developer, you are looking at at LEAST twice as much money down, but you will have abound access and marriott gold, but thats really about it. ok, said my piece. others may disagree, but thats why we call it america. LOL.

AJCU

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! So far there is clearly no opposition ;)

It looks like you have 2 of these. Do you use your points at other resorts very often? Are places like the St. John property particularly challenging to get at the 8 month mark?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Should you select WKORV, do not buy island view (many IV units have an excellent view of the parking lot), do not buy a one bedroom unit (MF's are almost the same as for a two bedroom), and do not buy a "deluxe" unit (MF's are ~$1000 higher than the typical "premium" room).

And should you elect to work with a broker, Syed at www.advantagevacation.com is an excellent choice,

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
I have THOUGHT about using my points elsewhere, but then realize that I love Maui. that is why I purchased there, and that is where I want to go. St. John and the bahamas, I have no experience with, but I hear that booking is tough at 8 months on popular weeks. I am considering Cancun next year, but that is still in the air. And to add on to what cavationtime1 said,... one of my ownerships is a 1 bedroom, the maintenance fees are only a couple hundred less that the two bedroom, so the value isn;t really there loong term, but I only paid 3k for it resale, so I really don't mind for a while. (got it during the perfect time when marriott was taking over and they must have missed the ROFR). I got it through Syed as well, he is wonderful to work with. the second ownership is a two bedroom annual (both ocean view) and if I had more time to take for vacations, I would want more to stay longer. maui also has really high trading power through interval I hear (which I have never used, but you may research).

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think from the description you've given you should probably buy Kaanapali - either North or South.

If you're relatively confident you will only need 1br units you could try buying an II trader type unit. This would be way cheaper (Ie SDO where I own should be $1000 or less with much lower MF). If you can be flexible on times (ie go spring/fall) getting a 1br at the Westin is fairly straightforward with an ongoing search.

All that said, given your budget and preference for guaranteed reservations I'd probably just buy on Maui. Maybe buy an every other year to start and see how you like it.

PDX Matthew

TUG Member
Reaction score
Before you commit to buying a timeshare, review the maintenance fees for what you are thinking about buying. Whenever I see ads for resales in Maui on TUG Marketplace, the maintenance fees are $1,600 - $4,000 for a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom. There are currently ads offering to rent those weeks for $1,900 on TUG Marketplace, and you can also check out other rental sites as well, such as Redweek (which is priced higher than TUG Marketplace). You'll likely find that the maintenance fees will increase at around the same rate as the rental fee, so you may be able to save yourself some money by renting a timeshare rather than buying.

Also, try staying at a few other resorts before committing to one. Marriott looks nice, we've stayed at The Whaler in Ka'anapaali a couple of times, and the units there are quite nice, although the resort lacks the amenities of resorts like Westin, Hyatt, Marriott - however, resales at The Whaler are very expensive and not commonly available - The Whaler appears to hold its value well, compared to other time shares, but its maintenance charges are also sky high.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I think Worldmark hit all of the answers. In Hawaii, a resale Worldmark has two resorts on Maui, one in Kona and one on Kauai that can be reserved in unit sizes from studio to 3 bed. Worldmark has resorts in Canada including 2 in Whistler and one in Vancouver. Worldmark has many resorts in the Western USA , a few in Mexico and one in St Thomas. Worldmark also exchanges well with II and RCI. Other perks are bonus time and inventory specials.

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I think Worldmark hit all of the answers. In Hawaii, a resale Worldmark has two resorts on Maui, one in Kona and one on Kauai that can be reserved in unit sizes from studio to 3 bed. Worldmark has resorts in Canada including 2 in Whistler and one in Vancouver. Worldmark has many resorts in the Western USA , a few in Mexico and one in St Thomas. Worldmark also exchanges well with II and RCI. Other perks are bonus time and inventory specials.

Bill

Agree with you, (although the Marriott will have generally higher quality resorts.) Also, OP mentioned Vancouver Island. WorldMark has their great resort in Victoria in addition to Vancouver. It might be easier, and probably cheaper, to book WorldMark, too.

Dave