• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Kind of Car should I reserve

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
We are going to Maui and we are a family of 5, 2 parents and 3 adult kids

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You are going to need something large for 5 adults + luggage, and it is going to be very $$$.

If I were you, I would also price 2 economy cars - it may be less.

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are going to need something large for 5 adults + luggage, and it is going to be very $$$.

If I was you, I would also price 2 economy cars - it may be less.

Good Idea, Denise….thanks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
During high season, the rental agencies run out of cars.

So, I suggest that you make a cancelable reservation right away, even if it's high, and then shop for a good deal. Don't wait to long.

I find the best rates with www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

But I always shop around, too.

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
During high season, the rental agencies run out of cars.

So, I suggest that you make a cancelable reservation right away, even if it's high, and then shop for a good deal. Don't wait to long.

I find the best rates with www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

But I always shop around, too.

We have also found competitive prices at autoslash.com they will email when prices drop and will even book a cheaper deal if it matches your request. Makes it easy to keep on top of price drops

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
Sugarcube, I can't recall what month you are traveling to Maui. We have gone several times in the last few years and like Denise M, I do often find my best rate through Discount Hawaii Car Rental, but at least as often I find the best deal through CostcoTravel (if you're a member of course). Once in a while I find the best rate directly through a car company. I actually generally find pretty good rates for our trips to Maui though when we travel in February which is our favorite time to go, we do sometimes pay more than I would prefer. But Maui is SO worth it!!! :banana:

I agree that you should snag a car rental rez asap. Book the best rate you can find for what will work for your group. With that size family (it is a family of 5 total, right??) I would book a mini-van. That's what we do when there are 4 adults in our party. If you think you will be splitting up and going separate directions often I like Denise's suggestion of looking into 2 cars.

Now after you have grabbed a car rez, here's the big tip…..KEEP CHECKING THOSE RATES. More times than not I can find a better rate later, but not always. There have been trips where the rate sky-rocketed because as Denise says, there are a finite number of cars on island and it's not like they can drive some more down from San Jose if you know what I mean. :D

I

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We have been finding the best prices through Costco. I do check discounthawaii and autoslash as well.

We're going to the Big Island in April. I've been checking prices for months. Got the lowest price about a month ago, which would be 6 months out. Prices have gone up, I don't know if they'll drop again. I will keep checking.

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have status with one of the major car rental companies that entitles you to a complimentary upgrade, you may find that your own frequent user number will get you the best rate. I have a standard corporate discount with Avis and that plus my status plus booking 6 months out gets me SUVs cheaper than Costco or discounthawaiicarrental.com rates, I find. (I too always keep looking!)

And for your party, check on whether any SUVs are cheaper than vans. The companies seem to stock more SUVs than vans, IME.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just made a reservation for August for a premium car on Maui for $208 total for 5 days through Costco.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I just made a reservation for August for a premium car on Maui for $208 total for 5 days through Costco.

We are at $318 all in for a fullsize on the Big Island for two weeks in April. Current price (as of today) is $397. This is through Costco.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at $318 all in for a fullsize on the Big Island for two weeks in April. Current price (as of today) is $397. This is through Costco.

Good price, Big Island is a lot cheaper than Maui though. Same car that is $208 on Maui for 5 days is $195 for 7 days on Big Island when I'm there in August. The demand on Maui is probably much greater.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Good price, Big Island is a lot cheaper than Maui though. Same car that is $208 on Maui for 5 days is $195 for 7 days on Big Island when I'm there in August. The demand on Maui is probably much greater.

Earlier this year (March) we were on Maui for two weeks. We rented a minivan as there were 6 of us (all adults). We paid $493 all in for the two week rental. By the time we got to Maui we supposedly picked up the last minivan on the lot. And when I'd been checking online they didn't show any availability for a minivan, and the prices for SUVs were sky high.

In 2013 we paid $303 all in for two weeks on Maui in August for a fullsize.

You just need to start looking early and keep checking back. I've found that the prices start high, drop down, and then go back up again. I'm guessing that for our April, 2016 rental they've gone as low as I'm going to see them, but I will keep checking.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Earlier this year (March) we were on Maui for two weeks. We rented a minivan as there were 6 of us (all adults). We paid $493 all in for the two week rental. By the time we got to Maui we supposedly picked up the last minivan on the lot. And when I'd been checking online they didn't show any availability for a minivan, and the prices for SUVs were sky high.

In 2013 we paid $303 all in for two weeks on Maui in August for a fullsize.

You just need to start looking early and keep checking back. I've found that the prices start high, drop down, and then go back up again. I'm guessing that for our April, 2016 rental they've gone as low as I'm going to see them, but I will keep checking.

I'm wondering for my August 2016 trip to Maui, if the prices will come down a bit before the trip. I signed up for auto slash but I've yet to receive any emails. I'm going to check Costco again in the morning to see if prices have come down

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I'm wondering for my August 2016 trip to Maui, if the prices will come down a bit before the trip. I signed up for auto slash but I've yet to receive any emails. I'm going to check Costco again in the morning to see if prices have come down

I got the lowest price for our upcoming trip about 6 months out. So if that is the "sweet spot" the prices for your rental should be coming down. I am also signed up with autoslash, but even when I've gotten emails from them the prices are still higher than what I'm confirmed with for Costco.

Also, be careful with autoslash. There may be a charge for the second driver through them.

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
We have a quote through AutoSlash with Thrifty car rental and the Thrifty terms and conditions states a second driver is $13 a day.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We have a quote through AutoSlash with Thrifty car rental and the Thrifty terms and conditions states a second driver is $13 a day.

Yep, that's what I've seen when I've checked the small print for AutoSlash.

That does NOT apply if you rent in California, and from what I read here awhile ago there may be car rental companies that will not charge that additional fee when renting through AutoSlash.

You just want to be careful and be aware of that additional fee.

Renting through Costco the second driver is always free.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
Agree with Luanne. Renting through either Costco or Discount Hawaii Car Rental the extra driver is almost always included. Just be sure to read the conditions before booking.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Everyone,

I am going in August and the reservation that I made through Costco is great, I have a quick question, can I add an extra day on to the reservation? I found airfare that is going to cut about $1,500 off the total cost if we leave one day later, but I don't want to be gauged for a hefty car bill for that one day extra?

Does anyone know if you can add a day onto an existing reservation through Costco?
thanks

Sugarcube, I can't recall what month you are traveling to Maui. We have gone several times in the last few years and like Denise M, I do often find my best rate through Discount Hawaii Car Rental, but at least as often I find the best deal through CostcoTravel (if you're a member of course). Once in a while I find the best rate directly through a car company. I actually generally find pretty good rates for our trips to Maui though when we travel in February which is our favorite time to go, we do sometimes pay more than I would prefer. But Maui is SO worth it!!! :banana:

I agree that you should snag a car rental rez asap. Book the best rate you can find for what will work for your group. With that size family (it is a family of 5 total, right??) I would book a mini-van. That's what we do when there are 4 adults in our party. If you think you will be splitting up and going separate directions often I like Denise's suggestion of looking into 2 cars.

Now after you have grabbed a car rez, here's the big tip…..KEEP CHECKING THOSE RATES. More times than not I can find a better rate later, but not always. There have been trips where the rate sky-rocketed because as Denise says, there are a finite number of cars on island and it's not like they can drive some more down from San Jose if you know what I mean. :D

I

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Hi Everyone,

I am going in August and the reservation that I made through Costco is great, I have a quick question, can I add an extra day on to the reservation? I found airfare that is going to cut about $1,500 off the total cost if we leave one day later, but I don't want to be gauged for a hefty car bill for that one day extra?

Does anyone know if you can add a day onto an existing reservation through Costco?
thanks

I've never tried it. I'm not sure there is an option to modify an existing reservation with Costco. I'd suggest calling whoever the reservation is with and asking them if you can add a day.

I just went and looked at an existing reservation I have with Costco. This is in the email confirmation from them:

"Should you wish to make a change to your reservation online, you are advised to book a new reservation with the updated information and then cancel your original reservation."

Since doing this will most likely result in your rates going up (unless for some reason they've dropped since you made the reservation) I'd still suggest calling the rental car agency directly and see if they will work with you.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

thanks

You may be going about it the wrong way.

Suggestion: Forget adding a day to an existing reservation. Instead, do a new separate car rental for that one missing day, and string them together that way.

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never tried it. I'm not sure there is an option to modify an existing reservation with Costco. I'd suggest calling whoever the reservation is with and asking them if you can add a day.

I just went and looked at an existing reservation I have with Costco. This is in the email confirmation from them:

"Should you wish to make a change to your reservation online, you are advised to book a new reservation with the updated information and then cancel your original reservation."

Since doing this will most likely result in your rates going up (unless for some reason they've dropped since you made the reservation) I'd still suggest calling the rental car agency directly and see if they will work with you.

What she said - be very careful that ANYONE who says they are adding a day to your reservation is not simply creating a new reservation, which may result in significant increase in your rate, even if the reservation number stays the same. (Been there, done that - got the original rate for a SAME day change of arrival time only after emailing the original reservation after getting overcharged; with a change of date the new rate would have been inescapable)

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There have been 2 times when I've asked to extend a premium suv rental over a holiday weekend through Budget while I had the car. Both times they said it was no problem and I would be charged the daily rate that was booked through Costco. I was surprised because booking a new reservation would have led to a much higher daily rate.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk