• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What it is like in Sun City

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I notice that people are interested in life in Sun City. I don't live in Hilton Head, but I figured I'd give you an idea of my week. I don't play cards or Majj, although I used to on Fridays.

Here are a few things we've done in the last week or will do this week:

On Saturday morning we had a Craft Fair. There were about seventy booths, and all the items were made by residents. Most were members of our various arts & crafts clubs or woodworking club. There were doll clothes, ceramic and porcelain items, jewelry, table napkins, placemats, runners, wooden toys, stuffed animals, pet items, and much more. Much of it was very reasonable. I even got some Red Hat sticky note pads for gifts!

Sunday we had tickets to a Performing Arts Show. The show, "It started with a Kiss," was music and dance from the late 1940's thru the 1970's. It was "our" music. Our Performing Arts Club puts on several shows a year. We have readers, singers, dancers, and more. This production had about fifty people. The music was great, the singing superb. Many of the performers sang professionally before their retirement. The show was 2-1/2 hours long. Tickets were $10. They sold out three shows (900 tickets). We were home about five minutes after we left the theater, and we went by golf cart.

Tuesday I have a Villiage Friends pot luck lunch. There will be about 25-30 of us, and it will be about two hours. Its a good way to keep up on your neighbors.

Jerry will be running the camera for our public access television station on Tuesday, doing the taping of next week's broadcast. He'll also be going to the dedication of the Veterans' Plaque at our center. Every veteran who lives (or lived) here has his name on it on a small plate.

Thursday is the Women's Club I will go with several girlfriends. There will be charity raffles (money goes to women's and children's local charities), a buffet luncheon, and then a talk by a Thunderbird Pilot. The Thunderbirds are based at Nellis AFB. We've never been able to have them speak before, so this is quite a coup.

Jerry will go to a production meeting for Channel 99 on Thursday, and after that all the technical staff and their spouses will go to a local tavern for dinner and socializing (a tavern is a Vegas version of a coffee shop). We've been doing this for several years every week. We visit for several hours. We've also done other social activities with various others in the group.

In addition I am "on call" for Community Service this week, which means I will be taking telephone requests and finding volunteer drivers to take people to the doctors, etc.

On Saturday we have a Health Fair. Many doctors will be there, plus our Wellness Center's Staff, there will be Flu Shots (free to people on Medicare), free handouts, and more.

I'm also doing lunch with a TUGger this week, and another lunch with a girlfriend.

And you know what? This isn't even a really busy week. You should see NEXT week!

Fern

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
i am in SUN CITY CENTER,KINGS POINT in fl. right now visiting my aging aunt and i have to say 'I COULD SO EASILY SLIP INTO THIS LIFESTYLE.' there is always something to do OR just relaxing by the pool is great. grounds are kept immaculate and beautiful. personally i love it here and am truly considering this as my retirement location.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
All the activities sound like fun, and I certainly understand the pleasure of having it all so convenient to your home. My sister and brother-in-law spend winters in a trailer park in AZ that is mostly retirees from the midwest and they are very active with social activities there, too.

One question I wonder about is how you continue to include a broader range of ages in your social circle. In my last work situation and in several activities like my book club and a church group, I find the mix of ages really helps makes the conversations interesting. I know from research studies I worked with that people are shaped by the life experiences unique to their age group - that is, we share lots of similar experiences with those of the same age cohort. So when you have a group with a wide range of ages discussing something, you're bringing each of those different perspectives to the topic. Of course, I also know that it can be wonderful to share a discussion with people who bring the same life experiences - like when I get together with some high school friends to laugh about where we are in life now!

Just curious about how you feel about this aspect of the Sun City experience.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Just like any other community, residents of any of the Sun City communities have the same opportunities to get involved and develop relationships outside of Sun City - church, volunteer work, politics, etc. Thus, whether one restricts relationships to a very few or extends the network outside of Sun City is a personal decision.

Further, the nearby educational opportunities are abundant at most Sun City developments.

Last edited:

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in Sun City Hilton Head. I was headed to the indoor pool at 6:30 am for water aerobics and then swam several laps. I'm home getting ready to leave for an hour of pickleball. I have mah jong at 6 tonight. Tommy is playing golf with the neighborhood group this morning. Tomorrow I'll walk 5 miles at 7 and then have ladies coffee at 10 in the neighborhood. It's home for lunch and book club at 1. We have dental appt at 4. Wed morning we have blood work first thing and then I'll either go to the pool or walk. I have a red hat tea at 2 and we have a dining out group at 5:30. Thurs I had best make a desert and clean up a little. Tommy's investment club meets here Thurs evening. I either walk or get water exercise 6 days a week. We have couples Mexican Train dominoes once a month in the neighborhood and pot luck dinners six times a year. Sun City is divided into about 20 neighborhoods. There are many activities that you can join that include everyone in Sun City and then neighborhoods plan activities. We have a wonderful little church just off property and we are both very involved in those activities. We have season tickets to the theatre group on HHI and go to those productions with several of our neighbors. We have a great theatre group here in Sun City along with a wonderful chorus and orchestra. You have to experience these activities to really appreciate the life style. Unfortunately, we had a funeral of a dear neighborhood on Saturday. The place was packed with our neighborhood friends. It is nice to know that as we grow older, our neighbors will be there for us. We have children spread all over and visit them often. They are very happy that mom and dad are enjoying life to the fullest. We do have a range of ages from early 50's to 80's and 90's. We also volunteer in the community so we do get to experience different age groups. We all are excited when neighborhood grandchildren arrive for visits.

Last edited:

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sun City Grand Surprise AZ

We visited 10 different age retirement places before selecting SUn City Grand AZ. We have over 7000 homes and about 15,00 people. We are here only from sometime October until late April/early May.It is too hot in the rest of the year.
There are more amenities here than any other retiremnet place we have seen including 4 full golf courses,an indoor walking track,two outdoor large pool complexes. We are together in the RV Club,bocce club,bon appetite club,bridge club and golf on our own. I also play pickleball . There are lots of performances to see- about one a week. We associate entirely with other retirees except for visitors.We actually lived in a mixed age community before in CA and only did things with people 50 or over.
In our community one person must be 45 and no one under 18 for more than three months although we had our son, wife and kid here a little longer when they first moved to AZ.
The major reason I wanted to move here was for the activities and I have not been disappointed. I also anticipate my wife living a lot longer than I and this is a good place and there are many groups of widows doing things together.
We have many acquaintances here but few close friends as we have been gone half of every year. We liek it and with an RV and 10 timeshare weeks a year we have a good travel/ home routine. This year we plan to sell oUR RV and get a small condo in CA.

Santina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where are all the Sun Cities located? I thought that there was just one in Hilton Head, my mistake.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Click on any shaded state on this map to find Sun City communities. A number of states have multiple Sun City communities. In many cases, starting at the map, you can drill down to see home plans and current pricing (such as for Sun City Hilton Head).

kpitch

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Having visited Fern and Jerry several times, I can attest to the fact that activities abound at Sun City in Henderson. Besides what Fern listed, we've witnessed Bocce Ball leagues, computer meetings, a wonderful activity center with excerise equipment, running/walking track, library, etc. If we decided to move to a retirement community, it would definately be Sun City.

Kathy
:)

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The map Dave refers to only shows Sun City communities still under development. There are also many "built out" communities which are not on the map at all. You can google Sun City + State or Town to try to find the others. For example, there are four Sun City communities in the Las Vegas Valley, but only two of them show on the map. There is also a Sun City in Tucson, AZ, long sold out, and that one doesn't show either.

Fern

Click on any shaded state on this map to find Sun City communities. A number of states have multiple Sun City communities. In many cases, starting at the map, you can drill down to see home plans and current pricing (such as for Sun City Hilton Head).

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I forgot about our lending library. I brought some books in on Sunday. I'd read them and figured I could get rid of them. Fat chance. I ended up exchanging for others that looked interesting. Maybe next time I'll go when I'm in a hurry so I don't browse...

Did I mention that we also have the largest durable medical equipment lending service in Nevada? Not just canes and crutches, but walkers of every description, wheelchairs, scooters, and several hospital beds.

Fern