• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2021 ] What is your favorite timeshare brand and why?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
I have purchased and sold many timeshare in the past 15 years I thought this might be interesting and educational. What is your favorite and runner up? Disclaimer, I only buy resale and resale is better/worse for some brands than others.

Favorite - Hyatt - Love the flexibility of the HRC system (not HPP) and how I can use my fixed week or points for short or long stays. Love the waitlist and the website. Also like the included II account. And of course, the resorts are first class. I seem to be able to stretch my one week for 3 or more stays per year and was able to nearly cover my MFs by renting out 3, 2 night stays with my left over 320 points. The MFs for Pinon Pointe are good. I don't care for the fact that you can't rent or borrow points if you are short and I am hoping we get some decent expansion from Welk. I would be in favor of buying more points resale.

Runner Up - HICV - I've owned HICV for 10+ years. The rooms at most resorts are on par with Marriott and Hilton. This is not so true for some of the acquisition locations by SilverLeaf. My main reason for loving this smallish brand is the flexibility of the system. You can use your points for 2+ day stays, Global Choice gives you points for your non-HICV locations, it comes with an RCI account, you can borrow points for use in the next year for free or for the current year for prorated MFs and if you have leftover points you can convert them to IHG points which never expire. The MFs feel better than some other brands. I get 10x points for paying MFs with my IHG credit card. The down side for me is limited locations in the West and nothing in Hawaii. However I used my HICV points via RCI for a week in Hawaii at a Hilton which I am looking forward to. I would not buy more points unless I relocated closer to the SE or they built more in the West.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We ended up going with Marriott. Excellent, consistent quality with a big choice of great locations.

At one point we owned DRI, but the quality was inconsistent and the fees were as high as Marriott. They had a lot of great locations, but their resort placement in those locations was nearly always second rate.

We also put a toe in with Hilton. Great quality resorts. Very reasonable MF’s. The problem was they initially were concentrated in Oahu, Orlando and Vegas. There just wasn’t enough there for us to ever own more than 7,000 points (standard 2 bedroom platinum week in Vegas).

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I vote for Marriott due to variety of locations, good quality resorts and ability to stay at Ritz Carltons as well as ability to earn points with the hotel side and the perks that come with Presidential level. My biggest wish is for Marriott to integrate Vistana and Hyatt into the Marriott Vacation Club so I can get points for my WKOVRN and use points at all the timeshares MVC now owns.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We ended up going with Marriott. Excellent, consistent quality with a big choice of great locations.

At one point we owned DRI, but the quality was inconsistent and the fees were as high as Marriott. They had a lot of great locations, but their resort placement in those locations was nearly always second rate.

We also put a toe in with Hilton. Great quality resorts. Very reasonable MF’s. The problem was they initially were concentrated in Oahu, Orlando and Vegas. There just wasn’t enough there for us to ever own more than 7,000 points (standard 2 bedroom platinum week in Vegas).
Resale or Developer? Does that impact your decision?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I vote for Marriott due to variety of locations, good quality resorts and ability to stay at Ritz Carltons as well as ability to earn points with the hotel side and the perks that come with Presidential level. My biggest wish is for Marriott to integrate Vistana and Hyatt into the Marriott Vacation Club so I can get points for my WKOVRN and use points at all the timeshares MVC now owns.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Nice topic. I expect you will get many, many different responses.

Favorite - Divi Village Golf & Beach Resort - this one holds a special place in our hearts. The first time we visited Aruba we were staying at the RIU. (At the time we didn't know about resale.) We didn't know, until we needed it, the resort didn't have any laundry facilities for guests. We were pointed to a laundromat down the street by staff that turned out to be out of business. We kind of resolved ourselves to having to do our laundry in the kitchen & bathroom sink. While sightseeing downtown we were referred to the Divi Village people by a person at a kiosk that told us we would receive dinner cruise tickets for taking the tour. While doing the tour we noticed the room we were viewing had a washer & dryer and that we didn't have same at our resort. The salesman offered to get a cab to go get our laundry, allow us to use their laundry even if we didn't buy, and pay for the cab back to the RIU. Well, we liked the resort. It gave us a way to leave the cold in February every year, which we have done most years since buying. When popping the cork on a bottle of champagne to celebrate the salesman joked that this "would probably be the most expensive washer & dryer we would ever buy." When we returned each year we always met up with that salesman, until he passed, and he always made us feel special.

Runner Up - Vacation Village - we own at 2 locations: Grandview (2BR) & VV@Bonaventure (3BR). Love the number of points we get each year and the low maintenance fees. Plus the fact that I get 2 bonus weeks each year that gives 2 extra weeks for just an exchange fee. That allows us to get several weeks every year.

Special Mention - Vidanta - they may be a bit expensive but the amenities are, to DW & I, worth it. We have always enjoyed the tropical setting and the staff have always treated extremely well.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

Resale for sure! I would not buy from the developer unless it’s a hybrid package that is the same price as buying resale. I did get a great deal a few years back purchasing a Spain week and enrolling a Hawaii week. Other than that, I buy resale.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nice topic. I expect you will get many, many different responses.

Favorite - Divi Village Golf & Beach Resort - this one holds a special place in our hearts. The first time we visited Aruba we were staying at the RIU. (At the time we didn't know about resale.) We didn't know, until we needed it, the resort didn't have any laundry facilities for guests. We were pointed to a laundromat down the street by staff that turned out to be out of business. We kind of resolved ourselves to having to do our laundry in the kitchen & bathroom sink. While sightseeing downtown we were referred to the Divi Village people by a person at a kiosk that told us we would receive dinner cruise tickets for taking the tour. While doing the tour we noticed the room we were viewing had a washer & dryer and that we didn't have same at our resort. The salesman offered to get a cab to go get our laundry, allow us to use their laundry even if we didn't buy, and pay for the cab back to the RIU. Well, we liked the resort. It gave us a way to leave the cold in February every year, which we have done most years since buying. When popping the cork on a bottle of champagne to celebrate the salesman joked that this "would probably be the most expensive washer & dryer we would ever buy." When we returned each year we always met up with that salesman, until he passed, and he always made us feel special.

Runner Up - Vacation Village - we own at 2 locations: Grandview (2BR) & VV@Bonaventure (3BR). Love the number of points we get each year and the low maintenance fees. Plus the fact that I get 2 bonus weeks each year that gives 2 extra weeks for just an exchange fee. That allows us to get several weeks every year.

Special Mention - Vidanta - they may be a bit expensive but the amenities are, to DW & I, worth it. We have always enjoyed the tropical setting and the staff have always treated extremely well.
Love your Aruba story!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Vistana. I went with the old saying of buy where you want to go…. That got me into this whole TS mess. First purchase was harborside resort at Atlantis. The MF skyrocketed but I stuck with the system and bought more Star options resale (thanks to the fine members here at TUG). I now visit HRA a few times a year. Once Marriott changes the VSN I will let my SVV units go.

I picked up RCI and I’ll explore more of those resorts as time goes on, but in the short time I’ve had the RCI points I’ve booked DVC AKL and tradewinds in Bora Bora for next year.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
DVC is definitely the most owner friendly as far as reservation policies go. And it’s very liquid, you could sell very quickly should you want out.

I love my Hyatts for use in Carmel and Sedona, and for the points overlay, and the excellent ability to stretch points in II. The system is not owner friendly though- lots of fees and “gotcha” rules.

I like my Marriott’s third best.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

The question was, what’s your favorite brand and why. Resale or developer does not affect this opinion.

If the question was, what’s your favorite system based on the price to acquire it, you’ll find different answers, but that’s a different question and an entirely different topic.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
The question was, what’s your favorite brand and why. Resale or developer does not affect this opinion.
It could. Many of the perks one gets on buying or upgrading at retail can be stripped away on resale.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
It could. Many of the perks one gets on buying or upgrading at retail can be stripped away on resale.

Then that wouldn’t be your favorite brand and the reason why would be restrictions for resale buyers.

For some that would put Hilton up around the top of the list. Hilton doesn’t restrict resale buyers nearly as much as some of the others. If that was the primary reason for happiness with a system, I’d change my answers to Hilton, because of the quality and and fewer restriction resale owners.

For everyone it’s a different reason as to which is their favorite and why, but the question isn’t predicated by those restrictions. It’s simply, what’s your favorite brand and why?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
DVC is definitely the most owner friendly as far as reservation policies go. And it’s very liquid, you could sell very quickly should you want out.

I love my Hyatts for use in Carmel and Sedona, and for the points overlay, and the excellent ability to stretch points in II. The system is not owner friendly though- lots of fees and “gotcha” rules.

I like my Marriott’s third best.
100% agree with all of that. Hyatt is definitely my second favorite, Marriott third, Westin/ Sheraton fourth. Wyndham about #10 behind Hilton and a few others. :)

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Runner Up - HICV - I've owned HICV for 10+ years. The rooms at most resorts are on par with Marriott and Hilton. This is not so true for some of the acquisition locations by SilverLeaf. My main reason for loving this smallish brand is the flexibility of the system. You can use your points for 2+ day stays, Global Choice gives you points for your non-HICV locations, it comes with an RCI account, you can borrow points for use in the next year for free or for the current year for prorated MFs and if you have leftover points you can convert them to IHG points which never expire. The MFs feel better than some other brands. I get 10x points for paying MFs with my IHG credit card. The down side for me is limited locations in the West and nothing in Hawaii. However I used my HICV points via RCI for a week in Hawaii at a Hilton which I am looking forward to. I would not buy more points unless I relocated closer to the SE or they built more in the West.
:thumbup:

We were owners of Silverleaf and suffered through the Cerberus occupation. We upgraded and converted to points under HICV and retained our Endless Escapes (modified) at the legacy Silverleaf resorts.

The caliber of the accommodations seems on par with the Orange Lake properties if you compare Presidential and above.

You have to remember Silverleaf's business model. They were located outside major metropolitan areas (Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Atlanta & St Louis) for their Getaway resorts. The accommodations range from humble to top tier. They also built the Destination resorts as a further upgrade. This provided a full range of marketing for the sales weasels.

Those coming in the Silverleaf properties need to differentiate between the two bedroom units. Four unit cabins are the lowest, lodge is acceptable, presidential is good, presidential penthouse is the best. The difference between the cabins and lodges is in the square footage.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Then that wouldn’t be your favorite brand and the reason why would be restrictions for resale buyers.
Thanks for speaking for others. :devilish:

If you've bought prior to the restrictions or at retail, it makes no sense to HATE your purchase. You may not have gotten the best deal, but you are enjoying time with family.

Mongoose' question was legitimate for full disclosure to those considering resale purchase off this thread.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
My favorite timeshare brand is UVCI in Mexico. The Villa Group resorts are opulent , loaded with amenities and the locations are perfect. Worldmark is a runner up because of how close these resorts are to where we live. It is easy to reserve a few rooms and have a group of family members come along.

We might let the Vacation Internationale go when the rtu expires which is in 2023. I do like some of the locations in Hawaii but would like to try out a different brand like Marriott or Hilton. We have been to Marriott KoOlina which was pretty good but not as good as the Villa Group Flamingos, Loreto and Arco, imo.

Bill

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends on one's criteria. Most posting here look for quality, flexibility, portfolios, ease of use, etc. Mine were location, certainty, low purchase price, low MFs, quality of Management, etc. In my later TS ownership years I ended up with a portfolio of 6 Fixed Weeks/ Fixed Units at well run HOA controlled Independents. Before that it was 4 Marriott Weeks (3 were Prime Floaters and one was a Monarch Fixed Week/Fixed Unit). This was in the era before Points arrived on the scene...

George

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
My fav is HGVC for the flexibility and well-managed maint fees. HGVC is also good to both developer and resale owners which helps make exit possible without a lot of hassle because their policies help resale value and reduces defaults. Unlike MVC, I like how the resale units automatically convert to points without having to enroll the unit. By enrolling everyone automatically upon purchase, this creates a great system dynamic for short stay and premier unit availability because points from a lower level unit can be used to book a penthouse in NYC or Oceanfront in Hawaii if you plan in advance. The downside is the limited number of locations but perhaps the Diamond acquisition will fix that.

Second is Vistana for the same flexibility reasons. However the system is slightly less fluid, the maint fees are higher and it also has limited locations.

For both systems, I wish resale value would be higher like DVC.

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Historically my answer has been Worldmark for flexibility (short stays, bonus time and cash options, etc) but that flexibility is slowly eroding. Now I might say HGVC - the resorts are nicer than WM (and comparable with or better than the other top tier hotel brands, imo). Easy availability through RCI plus flexible using (higher cost) hgvc points is a nice combination.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

For some that would put Hilton up around the top of the list. Hilton doesn’t restrict resale buyers nearly as much as some of the others. If that was the primary reason for happiness with a system, I’d change my answers to Hilton, because of the quality and and fewer restriction resale owners.

For everyone it’s a different reason as to which is their favorite and why, but the question isn’t predicated by those restrictions. It’s simply, what’s your favorite brand and why?
I wanted to see if resale owners had the same opinion as developer owners. No judgment, just an honest question. Some of the brands offer a lot of developer benefits that i think are smoke and mirror Others may not. I phrased my question the way I did to keep this a positive and troll free discussion.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Historically my answer has been Worldmark for flexibility (short stays, bonus time and cash options, etc) but that flexibility is slowly eroding. Now I might say HGVC - the resorts are nicer than WM (and comparable with or better than the other top tier hotel brands, imo). Easy availability through RCI plus flexible using (higher cost) hgvc points is a nice combination.
I’m a new resale owner to both Hilton and WM. I know the units are nicer at Hilton, but I’d love to hear more about your experience and contrast with the two. Seems to me that WM owners are very loyal to the brand.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Easy availability through RCI plus flexible using (higher cost) hgvc points is a nice combination.
Can you expand on this? You mean ease of using Hilton points? How is the RCI experience different for Hilton than WM? Thanks!