• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is your favorite brand for resale and why?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Happy Friday All! I have Hyatt, WM, HICV EOYO and MVC EOYE accounts all bought on resale. The MVC and WM are relatively new. So far I couldn't be happier with Hyatt and HICV. The quality of Hyatt is excellent and I was able to get 5 stays out of 1400 points. Purchased it for $1 plus fees. I'm hoping something good comes out of the Welk acquisition. HICV I have had for 9 years. I originally had three ($1 each) for 272,000 points however have dropped two since I have moved out West keeping only 150,000 points. I think they punch way above their weight for quality, however need more locations in the West and of course Hawaii. I also love the flexibility if you buy from the right 3 resorts on resale. WM looks very promising, however I have to admit the quality of the units does not appear to be on par with any of the others. It was actually my most expensive buy for $0.09 per credit. I picked it up when I moved out West. I'm hoping to use the Marriot ($1, Platinum, Harbour Lake) as a trader (hopefully Hawaii). I also looked at Wyndham, HGVC and a few others. Wyndham seemed to be expensive for MF's with questionable reputation. DRI was a definite no based on prior experience. Still open to HGVC. Love to hear your thoughts.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
When I did the math, Wyndham was actually the cheapest for me resale and gave me the most bang for my buck. I only have low MF contracts though. Marriott legacy weeks can be a good value, but are a pain to get value from because you have to book a room at the perfect time of year with the highest TDI, then split the lockoff and dump into II, then wait for the week that you actually want to be matched. I'd rather just have points and be able to see the inventory online that I can book myself without a lot of work. Marriott DC trust points are only a good value if you want to do a lot of 1-2 night stays.

I considered getting a Platinum Elara week at Hilton, but they barely have that many locations and they're all in already overbuilt locations, so if I want a nice room, I may as well just book a presidential one at Wyndham (compared to Marriott and Hilton). Also Wyndham has the lowest buy in costs. I just grabbed some Myrtle Beach points resale for pretty cheap and now I can book the presidential units there no problem. They are nicer than the Marriott and Hilton rooms.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can live with one bedroom units and top of the line quality is not important to you, two big "ifs" I know, you can save a lot of money buying (resale of course) Fixed Weeks at quality Independent HOA Controlled Resorts. At one time I had six of these. Total cost was about $8,000...

George

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Out of everything we own and have owned (Disney, Marriott, Wyndham, and independent), our resale Wyndham points are the favorite and the best value. We use our Wyndham points to book direct at Wyndham Bonnet Creek and at their Smoky Mountain resorts (also have booked direct at Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk in the past). We have also traded back into Disney with our Wyndham points. Here lately we have been trading Wyndham points into beach resorts in the St. Pete/Treasure Island area.

If I owned only one, it would be resale Wyndham points. They have the locations where we want to go. Also, if I call Wyndham I don’t have to wait on the phone for 2 hours like I do with Disney Vacation Club.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Dvc for lower cost dvc units. Same booking rules (except new Rivera et al) as direct. Hgvc is low cost to acquire resale, reasonable annual fees, easy online booking. Downside-lack of availability at certain resorts, such as SW fla. if one wants those locations, buy resale where you want to go.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When I did the math, Wyndham was actually the cheapest for me resale and gave me the most bang for my buck. I only have low MF contracts though. Marriott legacy weeks can be a good value, but are a pain to get value from because you have to book a room at the perfect time of year with the highest TDI, then split the lockoff and dump into II, then wait for the week that you actually want to be matched. I'd rather just have points and be able to see the inventory online that I can book myself without a lot of work. Marriott DC trust points are only a good value if you want to do a lot of 1-2 night stays.

I considered getting a Platinum Elara week at Hilton, but they barely have that many locations and they're all in already overbuilt locations, so if I want a nice room, I may as well just book a presidential one at Wyndham (compared to Marriott and Hilton). Also Wyndham has the lowest buy in costs. I just grabbed some Myrtle Beach points resale for pretty cheap and now I can book the presidential units there no problem. They are nicer than the Marriott and Hilton rooms.
How do you like Wyndham? I came close to buying them over WM, however WM has more locations within a 5-10 hour drive from my home. For me I like a balance between fixed weeks in hard to get locations/seasons and the flexibility of points. It has been a little frustrating trading my Marriot week in II for Hawaii. But I still have more than 12 months.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you can live with one bedroom units and top of the line quality is not important to you, two big "ifs" I know, you can save a lot of money buying (resale of course) Fixed Weeks at quality Independent HOA Controlled Resorts. At one time I had six of these. Total cost was about $8,000...

George
I like that approach. When I lived in ATL I did that with locations in Orlando and Cocoa Beach. Worked great for a young family in driving distance. I miss my weeks in Cocoa Beach especially! As the kids have grown up, we have enjoyed the flexibility of the points systems for shorter stays in more locations.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I have no idea what I would buy but do have some regrets on some purchases I have made. Let's just say, I learned some hard lessons.

I have too many to use and cannot decide what to give away or sell. Shell falls into that category. Fortunately, I can give those back to Wyndham, probably at the end of this year.

One thing I can say is that I am no longer drooling over Hilton, Westin Mandatory Options and Marriott DC. I am staying clear of everything to figure out how best to use what we have.

hyperjewl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten
Out of everything we own and have owned (Disney, Marriott, Wyndham, and independent), our resale Wyndham points are the favorite and the best value. We use our Wyndham points to book direct at Wyndham Bonnet Creek and at their Smoky Mountain resorts (also have booked direct at Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk in the past). We have also traded back into Disney with our Wyndham points. Here lately we have been trading Wyndham points into beach resorts in the St. Pete/Treasure Island area.

If I owned only one, it would be resale Wyndham points. They have the locations where we want to go. Also, if I call Wyndham I don’t have to wait on the phone for 2 hours like I do with Disney Vacation Club.

If we wanted at least sleep 8 units or 3 bedrooms to trade into bonnet creek or the Wyndham smoky mountains, or smugglers notch during ski season, how many points would you say are needed? We own weeks at a vacation village property and get enough trading power units to get to many places we want to go but those are hard. I’m debating doing Hilton resale - so I can get a large unit in Orlando at least every other year, because we love their quality & we have 4 young kids. We tend to travel with family. I’d love your thoughts or feedback. I’m not too familiar with the Wyndham system.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m debating doing Hilton resale - so I can get a large unit in Orlando at least every other year, because we love their quality & we have 4 young kids. We tend to travel with family.
HGVC is a good system and I like it a lot. However, if you can plan early, HGVC does a "dump" into RCI of many units, including Orlando and it's fairly easy to snag a 3 BR unit. They typically do not deposit Christmas weeks, but yes for Easter. The "dump" for 2022 has not occurred yet. It's usually in May/June. HGVC has a 1 in 4 rule, but you can just swap for a different Orlando resort. For ex, we did Easter at Seaworld, then January another year at Tuscany.

hyperjewl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten
That’s actually what we just did. When I know when & where I want to go - I combine my trading power units & put an ongoing search fir those properties. We just came back from 2 weeks in 3 bedroom units at Tuscany, plus got a 2 bedroom fir my parents for 1 week - during Easter. It cost me 3 years worth of my trading power units. It wasn’t a problem, since we have enough - and this was supposed to happen last year. We also had to pay $25/per day use fee. - another $600 when we checked in (that apparently owners do t have to pay). We loved it though and the thought of being able to do that every other year it so - without also paying all the RCI fees of combing points, extending, etc...or using all of them fir that is a nice thought. Instead we’d use our RCI trading power units other places with other family members. The other place we like is Vermont - for skiing - which can also be hard to get into!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Before buying HGVC (which I have resale, and love), you'd want to do an analysis of how many HGVC points that 3BR cost in HGVC points vs RCI points cost+ resort fee. For us, it's more cost effective to use RCI points to trade in, as a 3BR HGVC SW winter/spring week costs 8400 HGVC points. I don't know that HGVC points will get you any better access to Smuggs (or other VT) ski weeks. For that, maybe a Wyndham owner will chime in. Good luck!

Last edited:

hyperjewl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten
I know. There’s my dilemma! . Thank you for your feedback! We’re kind of thinking if we had Hilton, we’d stay a week (8400) - if prime season, but then also have plenty of points to get family members a unit or two as well with RCI points! I’m keeping my eyes open fir all - the right Hilton with low MF, or the right one in Vermont. They’re harder to find!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We’re kind of thinking if we had Hilton, we’d stay a week (8400) - if prime season, but then also have plenty of points to get family members a unit or two as well with RCI points!
that's a good idea if you like other HGVC properties. also, if you shave off a weekend night, you can bring HGVC Orlando 3BR to under 7000 points. We've done that with DVC before, esp. if we were coming in late--just jammed into a suite hotel (3 kids) overnight, then checked into DVC the next AM and headed to the parks for the day.
But, since Wyndham owns both BC and Smuggs, you might be better off with W? I know many like the W BC Presidential units.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we wanted at least sleep 8 units or 3 bedrooms to trade into bonnet creek or the Wyndham smoky mountains, or smugglers notch during ski season, how many points would you say are needed?
You can find the point values for resorts here. Focus only on the resorts with Club Wyndham inventory; everything else is either hard to book or not eligible for resale points. Some of the newer resorts might not be there, but most of the others will.

One other thought: 2BRs that sleep 8 usually aren't that hard to book at resorts which offer them. 3BRs can be harder, because there are fewer of them.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Vistana.....because I like Vistana resorts. The best resale system is the one that appeals to the buyer.

hyperjewl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten
You can find the point values for resorts here. Focus only on the resorts with Club Wyndham inventory; everything else is either hard to book or not eligible for resale points. Some of the newer resorts might not be there, but most of the others will.

One other thought: 2BRs that sleep 8 usually aren't that hard to book at resorts which offer them. 3BRs can be harder, because there are fewer of them.

Thank you! That’s a great resource! I think I’d be looking at over 300K in points or something like 150 to 200 annual, if I were to go that route! It’s good to know what would be needed!!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Vistana mandatory deeded weeks + HGVC 7k deeded vegas (Blvd, Paradise or Elara resorts):

• Complementary locations (Vistana + HGVC)
  • High quality resorts
  • Point minisystems for short stays
  • No resort fees
  • Good MF to point ratios for trading
  • High trading value in exchanges
  • Access to both II and RCI systems/cash getaways/AC
  • HGVC last min cash rooms (Devalued but good at some resorts.)
  • Desirable resale/relatively easy to sell/exit

Last edited:

Hobee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Barony Beach, OceanWatch, SurfWatchx2 MountainSide, Aruba Ocean Club; MVC Trust Points
We have multiple MVC resales which are now enrolled which allow us to elect points for each unit on an annual basis. There are two resale approaches with MVC - weeks or Trust Points. We chose weeks over trust points and it worked for us. We have been able to keep our total maintenance fees less than an equivalent number of Trust Points. We reserve with weeks or enrolled points according to which gets us where we want to go and which offers better value - lot’s of flexibility.

I am aware that some timeshare companies are more friendly to resale purchases in term of restrictions or lack of. Most of this thread has focused on locations and availability. I would interestEd to hear from you how various systems treat resale owners. Marriott charges a $120 transfer fee, $3.00 per resale Trust Point, and resales weeks are limited to using your home week or trading in II. Resale weeks can be enrolled for annual (enrolled) points but for a significant cost.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I am aware that some timeshare companies are more friendly to resale purchases in term of restrictions or lack of. Most of this thread has focused on locations and availability. I would interestEd to hear from you how various systems treat resale owners. Marriott charges a $120 transfer fee, $3.00 per resale Trust Point, and resales weeks are limited to using your home week or trading in II. Resale weeks can be enrolled for annual (enrolled) points but for a significant cost.

HGVC charges between $1000 and $1100 to transfer a deed resale. At closing, ~$450 is due. That includes a transfer fee and estoppel costs. This is negotiable between the buyer and the seller. After the deed is posted into the new owner's account (or, for a new member, the account is created), an enrollment fee of ~$620 is charged. If the new owner isn't already a member of the club, they are charged the club dues ($186 this year). I got lucky when I bought mine as I was only charged the next year's dues. If I buy from affiliate resorts (Marco/Sanibel Island, Bay Club, The Scotland Affiliates), those costs are less (sometimes much less). Craigendarroch totals about $700 total.

Once a resale buyer is in the club, they are treated like any other member. I can book reservations at 9 months, pay the same fees and can move/cancel/save and borrow points just like a member that bought from HGVC. The only difference is I can't get Elite status buying resale. Well, If I buy from the sales center of certain affiliate resorts, I can get Elite status. From what I understand, most here believe Elite status isn't worth the cost to hold 14,000 developer bought points.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are SO many ways to look at timesharing vacationing.Everyone will have a unique viewpoint because everybody looks at the cornucopia of choices and make their own choice.

Some highlights to think about:

Value for money. First, it isn't just the upfront money, it's the MFs per year. How much quality are you willing to pay for? How much for location? Do you need a new place, every time, or are you happy going to the same place each year? If you are the latter, have you considered "timeshares lite"? (Suite hotels in the Continental US (CONUS).) More expensive than timeshares, but more locations across CONUS to choose from, plus the flexibility of not going, and not having to pay for the trip every year, unless you take it. OTOH, a much poorer "value for money". Trade-offs.

Must sign off now heavy thunderstorm is rolling in, and I don't like getting my equipment fried.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am aware that some timeshare companies are more friendly to resale purchases in term of restrictions or lack of. Most of this thread has focused on locations and availability. I would interestEd to hear from you how various systems treat resale owners.
I don't think it matters that much. Either there are financial penalties---in which case, you just treat it as part of the purchase cost to decide if this is what you want---or there are usage restrictions, which just impacts what "availability" means.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm thinking about dumping my resale MVC Harbour Lake in favor of a 5K-7K HGVC. In Vegas of HI. My goal is to travel into Hawaii every 2 years. So a EOY is attractive. I like the idea of a Home week in HI, but the maintenance fees are $500-600 more. Vegas seems like a great value, however you are limited to 9 months out and I wonder if there will be much HGVC availability at 9 months. Am I better off keeping the Marriott and depositing to II with a ongoing search 12-18 months out?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Usually BI is available at 9 months. Oahu is spotty. If you had a Rci timeshare, you can book Hawaii (mainly big island) about 12-15 months out when hgvc deposits a big bulk deposit. I don’t think hgvc trades with II?