• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is the value of being in the Disney bubble with everything changed so drastically with FP+ and no Extra Magic Hours?

dannybaker

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were in the buildings obviously not renovate. I believe it is called the Grand Stand. Building 9101-9436 were under renovation in the Grandstand area. Bottom line the bubble is currently popped. Disney is doing everything in their power to social distance and trying to survive COVID.

weleftmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
We exchanged into OKW this week. Normally, we will drive down (from Nashville) and stay at Bonnet Creek. We decided to fly and use ME this time. In the amount of time it took us to walk from Terminal B baggage claim to Terminal A transportation, waited to get on a bus, and then waited for the bus to leave we could have walked out the door after getting bags, gotten a Lyft ride, checked in, and been to Epcot. If we stay on-site again we will just use Lyft to get to the resort.

The BrightLine train is coming to Disney Springs. As others have said that could be a factor in removing the service. I would guess though Lyft and Uber are probably more responsible for the change.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
We exchanged into OKW this week. Normally, we will drive down (from Nashville) and stay at Bonnet Creek. We decided to fly and use ME this time. In the amount of time it took us to walk from Terminal B baggage claim to Terminal A transportation, waited to get on a bus, and then waited for the bus to leave we could have walked out the door after getting bags, gotten a Lyft ride, checked in, and been to Epcot. If we stay on-site again we will just use Lyft to get to the resort.

The BrightLine train is coming to Disney Springs. As others have said that could be a factor in removing the service. I would guess though Lyft and Uber are probably more responsible for the change.

Yes, multiple communications from Disney (reported on DISboards, responses to emails sent to WDW and DVC guest satisfaction teams) regarding DME ending have seemed to emphasize the fact of rideshare becoming more popular as a factor in the decision. I've also seen unconfirmed reports that the contract with Mears ends in 2021 and was not renewed, for whatever reason.

And as far as the train, I read that it's much farther in the future than 2022 and may not even work for transportation between MCO and WDW. It's mostly intended for transport between the Miami area, Orlando/WDW and Tampa.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Yes, multiple communications from Disney (reported on DISboards, responses to emails sent to WDW and DVC guest satisfaction teams) regarding DME ending have seemed to emphasize the fact of rideshare becoming more popular as a factor in the decision. I've also seen unconfirmed reports that the contract with Mears ends in 2021 and was not renewed, for whatever reason.

And as far as the train, I read that it's much farther in the future than 2022 and may not even work for transportation between MCO and WDW. It's mostly intended for transport between the Miami area, Orlando/WDW and Tampa.
Orlando Sentinel is reporting this, which makes it a very reliable source. I think it's way into the future, so I agree with that. It takes time to build. The article mentions 2 years to plan and three to build. I hope they do it, and that will be a great reason for them to have developed Disney Springs as they have because it's huge now. I miss the old Pleasure Island don't go to the stores on that side at all, but it makes sense that they would have built up that area before adding the rails. Think of the traffic going there. Wise move. It will be crowded with lots of shoppers. It's all about the bottom line. And they will naturally get their money back if they charge for the train.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We exchanged into OKW this week. Normally, we will drive down (from Nashville) and stay at Bonnet Creek.
I'd love a report back as to how you liked OKW vs. BC. We're jumping ship to BC this summer (after 10 years of DVC).

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I'd love a report back as to how you liked OKW vs. BC. We're jumping ship to BC this summer (after 10 years of DVC).
I loved OKW. We just got back after a wonderful two-week stay in unit 1828 at OKW. We loved everything about it. We had a 1 bed via exchange, and what a lucky get for us, since we own there. The remodel is gorgeous (always stained sofas and the light gold was a big mistake IMO). The kitchen is the best. The bed was very comfortable. I was so happy for those two weeks to return to that bed after walking 3-6 miles every day at the parks. Our granddaughter loved the pool. The unit size is so much better, and the sleeper chair means a 5th person can enjoy their own bed. They say to bring bedding, but a sleeping bag would work. It was just two of us. Our kids had their own unit.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I sit here now debating this very topic. I have booked: a LM RCI exchange at Saratoga and an II exchange at Marriott Cypress Harbor for mid March and trying to make this decision.....
I can eplus out of the Marriott, but now I'm stuck with flex and I don't see that timing happening.

I still question how sane this trip even is, our first adventure out of our Covid bubble (we haven't even been to a restaurant yet) and we are headed to WDW. But, DH is vaccinated and DD15 could really use a pick me up and as silly as it sounds, Disney is her happy place. They will be doing the parks, I will be staying at the resort.

I still want to get a car to mitigate the risks of buses and to take a day trip off property, but wow car rentals are around $450 and then $25 per day parking at resort. That adds up.

Personally since I will be at the resort the whole time, I would prefer Cypress Harbor because it is nicer and the rooms are larger. But, for them it will be much easier to stay on property.....

Decisions, decisions..........

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I thought parking was included in the DVC $195 fee for exchanging?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

It's included in a DVC stay which an exchange is. It's not specifically paid for out of the additional $190 fee.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

But if they were to stay at Cypress Harbour, then the parking fee would apply.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I called DVC today they stated I would need to pay $25 per day to leave a car at the resort.....is this not accurate?

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I called DVC today they stated I would need to pay $25 per day to leave a car at the resort.....is this not accurate?
I sit here now debating this very topic. I have booked: a LM RCI exchange at Saratoga and an II exchange at Marriott Cypress Harbor for mid March and trying to make this decision.....
I can eplus out of the Marriott, but now I'm stuck with flex and I don't see that timing happening.

I still question how sane this trip even is, our first adventure out of our Covid bubble (we haven't even been to a restaurant yet) and we are headed to WDW. But, DH is vaccinated and DD15 could really use a pick me up and as silly as it sounds, Disney is her happy place. They will be doing the parks, I will be staying at the resort.

I still want to get a car to mitigate the risks of buses and to take a day trip off property, but wow car rentals are around $450 and then $25 per day parking at resort. That adds up.

Personally since I will be at the resort the whole time, I would prefer Cypress Harbor because it is nicer and the rooms are larger. But, for them it will be much easier to stay on property.....

Decisions, decisions..........
I just got back from AKL. I'd love to answer any specific questions that you have but thought I'd try to help you out with a couple of things:

1) If you stay at DVC the $190 you pay to Disney will cover parking. We just used a magic band to get into the gate and when we went to the parks we told the attendant we were staying on site and they scanned our magic band. Sometimes they just waived us through.

2) If you haven't gone to restaurants and you are being super careful, it will be a very real culture shock to you when you get to Disney World. We were uncomfortable being around so many people that weren't the greatest at wearing masks. Disney IMO does a horrible job of sanitizing / cleaning and doing COVID mitigation.

A couple of examples:
- There is no disinfection at all between riders. We have gone skiing and they spray down lifts / gondolas as people exit. No such thing at Disney World. You are loaded literally seconds after other riders.
- On hot days, people get a little bit antsy in masks. People pull them down to get a break, drink, or eat. You are only supposed to eat / drink when stationary, but that really wasn't followed too well when we were there.
- Disney treats plexiglass like it's magic. What I mean by that is that in lines they have plexiglass between rows of people (particularly as you get close to the entrance of a ride). The plexiglass is usually only a little above 6 feet tall, so you can definitely get coughed on from those that are taller, They also only put it over railing, so my little guys were standing face to face with other littles in these areas.
- When we got blue milk at Galaxy's edge there's no lid on it. As I walked around dozens of people (with masks down because they were drinking their blue milk), I couldn't help but think about someone coughing straight into my cup.
- Hand Sanitizer is most everywhere, but not always refilled.
- Pool areas at the resorts are mask free zones.
- There are HORDES of people everywhere....a lot of this is because there's reduced capacity on some rides, no parades, or character interactions (which are big people eaters).

I think when you are there, Disney *may* have bumped up capacity to 50% (was at 35% when we were there) -- this is just a guess based on the fact that new availability came online based on new availability coming online in the reservation system.

All things considered, the risk of virus spread is extraordinarily low outside. It's also very low on objects (a lot of our new COVID disinfection "standards" are based on studies from back in January / February of 2020 that showed COVID potentially surviving for long periods of times...these studies were mostly flawed in that the amount of virus they ran tests on were sooooo much higher in concentration than what you would see in the real world, they also didn't take into account things like UV levels that would kill the virus in a very short period of time).

My personal opinion is that catching it at Disney World is probably really low -- most of it is outside in the sun where there is almost no risk of catching it and you really aren't around the same people in close proximity for extended periods of time.

We've been home for 8 days, and are COVID free.

If I were doing things over again, it's a toss up on if I'd go again. We had SUCH a good time, and it was AMAZING to feel somewhat normal again. However, prior to going we had been pretty careful, and it was a complete shock to us how standards we were used to were sooo much lower at DisneyWorld. There's also a fair amount missing in terms of "magic" that our kids would have really enjoyed.

Obviously, I am torn -- they didn't meet our expectations at all for COVID mitigation, and there was a lot of "magic" missing. However, given that we've been cooped up inside for the last 11 months, it was sooooooooooo nice to be outside, spend quality time with our family, and do things that the whole family enjoyed.

One last thought -- if you are going during peak spring break (which I think you are), I would think the waits will be very similar to what they were during this past President's Day week. We've been checking the waits and they've been HORRIBLE ( > 60 minutes for the big attractions).

If you are coming from a cold area, it may be worth it just to get some time outside in nice weather.

Feel free to PM.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are staying on the timeshare side, parking is free. If you exchange in via RCI or stay via DVC points, parking is free. You will pay the $195 resort fee if you book via RCI exchange.

DVC resorts also operate as hotels. If you book a DVC resort through Disney like a hotel you will pay for parking.

For both sides, parking at the theme parks is free.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
But if they were to stay at Cypress Harbour, then the parking fee would apply.
Has Cypress Harbour started charging II exchangers for parking? Last time there on II exchange I did not get charged for parking.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Has Cypress Harbour started charging II exchangers for parking? Last time there on II exchange I did not get charged for parking.

No, what I am saying is if they were staying at Cypress Harbour, they would have to pay the parking fee at the parks. They were debating between staying at SSR or CH.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok got it was only looking at parking for the stay part.

jlf58

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Why stay on Disney property?
1. Location. You can't get any closer.
2. Ease of transport to theme parks. No driving needed. You can walk from some resorts to the parks.
3. Nicely themed resorts. The feature pools have lifeguards and activities.
4. Variety of accommodations. There are plenty of different Disney resorts to choose from. Want one with a food court? It's available.

Whether or not is worth it is up to each individual person. You can have a great vacation no matter where you stay.

That is a very vague. ON DISNEY PROPERTY can mean a 30 minutes bus ride to a park. Grand Floridian and a value resort don't exactly have the same location. Many hotels/TS are closer to the parks than many Disney properties

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I just got back from AKL. I'd love to answer any specific questions that you have but thought I'd try to help you out with a couple of things:

1) If you stay at DVC the $190 you pay to Disney will cover parking. We just used a magic band to get into the gate and when we went to the parks we told the attendant we were staying on site and they scanned our magic band. Sometimes they just waived us through.

2) If you haven't gone to restaurants and you are being super careful, it will be a very real culture shock to you when you get to Disney World. We were uncomfortable being around so many people that weren't the greatest at wearing masks. Disney IMO does a horrible job of sanitizing / cleaning and doing COVID mitigation.

A couple of examples:
- There is no disinfection at all between riders. We have gone skiing and they spray down lifts / gondolas as people exit. No such thing at Disney World. You are loaded literally seconds after other riders.
- On hot days, people get a little bit antsy in masks. People pull them down to get a break, drink, or eat. You are only supposed to eat / drink when stationary, but that really wasn't followed too well when we were there.
- Disney treats plexiglass like it's magic. What I mean by that is that in lines they have plexiglass between rows of people (particularly as you get close to the entrance of a ride). The plexiglass is usually only a little above 6 feet tall, so you can definitely get coughed on from those that are taller, They also only put it over railing, so my little guys were standing face to face with other littles in these areas.
- When we got blue milk at Galaxy's edge there's no lid on it. As I walked around dozens of people (with masks down because they were drinking their blue milk), I couldn't help but think about someone coughing straight into my cup.
- There are HORDES of people everywhere....a lot of this is because there's reduced capacity on some rides, no parades, or character interactions (which are big people eaters).

I think when you are there, Disney *may* have bumped up capacity to 50% (was at 35% when we were there) -- this is just a guess based on the fact that new availability came online based on new availability coming online in the reservation system.

All things considered, the risk of virus spread is extraordinarily low outside. It's also very low on objects (a lot of our new COVID disinfection "standards" are based on studies from back in January / February of 2020 that showed COVID potentially surviving for long periods of times...these studies were mostly flawed in that the amount of virus they ran tests on were sooooo much higher in concentration than what you would see in the real world, they also didn't take into account things like UV levels that would kill the virus in a very short period of time).

My personal opinion is that catching it at Disney World is probably really low -- most of it is outside in the sun where there is almost no risk of catching it and you really aren't around the same people in close proximity for extended periods of time.

If I were doing things over again, it's a toss up on if I'd go again. We had SUCH a good time, and it was AMAZING to feel somewhat normal again. However, prior to going we had been pretty careful, and it was a complete shock to us how standards we were used to were sooo much lower at DisneyWorld. There's also a fair amount missing in terms of "magic" that our kids would have really enjoyed.

Obviously, I am torn -- they didn't meet our expectations at all for COVID mitigation, and there was a lot of "magic" missing. However, given that we've been cooped up inside for the last 11 months, it was sooooooooooo nice to be outside, spend quality time with our family, and do things that the whole family enjoyed.

One last thought -- if you are going during peak spring break (which I think you are), I would think the waits will be very similar to what they were during this past President's Day week. We've been checking the waits and they've been HORRIBLE ( > 60 minutes for the big attractions).

If you are coming from a cold area, it may be worth it just to get some time outside in nice weather.

Feel free to PM.
Agreed! Disney isn’t as good as universal when it comes to covid mitigation. The waits were much longer than expected and in many cases the same as standby times on a normal non covid day. I fear the days of low occupancy are over. All of a sudden people aren’t afraid to travel. They should all stay home, stay safe, and leave the quiet resorts to me.

I’m also covid free, took a test on Friday.

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
That is a very vague. ON DISNEY PROPERTY can mean a 30 minutes bus ride to a park. Grand Floridian and a value resort don't exactly have the same location. Many hotels/TS are closer to the parks than many Disney properties
Where have you ridden a bus at Disney for 30 minutes before you got to a park? I guess if you get on at the first stop at OKW or SSR or one of the other resorts that have multiple stops, but even then, you'll be at the park in less than 30 minutes. Even from Animal Kingdom Villas, the ride to Epcot is about 12 minutes. The only hotels that might be closer to a park than a Disney timeshare would be the Swan or Dolphin. Anything else is further away from the property.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

A couple of examples:

Feel free to PM.
I think being worried about Covid as you are, perhaps Disney is not a good place to be. I had the immunity, having had Covid once last year, but I am not sure how long it lasts. I can honestly stay not a single time did I worry about someone coughing over the plexiglass barriers. I think it's a place you don't go with crowds, if you have a pre-existing condition for sure. I wouldn't go if I was still obese, for example, or if I was diabetic. I would not risk myself in that way.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Travelhacker - thank you for this report on your visit. Being that you were there during a busy week gives me a better understanding of what it will be like for the week we go. Seriously, my biggest concern is standing in line for a ride with someone behind me not masked and then coughing or something. Are the people in line at least mostly respectful of spacing?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Travelhacker - thank you for this report on your visit. Being that you were there during a busy week gives me a better understanding of what it will be like for the week we go. Seriously, my biggest concern is standing in line for a ride with someone behind me not masked and then coughing or something. Are the people in line at least mostly respectful of spacing?
Currently masks are required. Are you going some time in the future when you think they may not be?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Seriously, my biggest concern is standing in line for a ride with someone behind me not masked and then coughing or something.
Disney is enforcing masks. Also, while in line, with others if concerned, or in crowded places (like the Disney Store), I highly suggest wearing a KN95 easily obtained online. This is the type of tightfitting, filtered mask that is now recommended to provide the best protection. We have 2 masks, a lighter one for outdoors or non-crowded places, and the KN95 for crowds, indoors. We have not eaten at indoor restaurant since last March. We wore our KN95 in crowds and regarded our WDW Dec trip as safe.

Mowogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas; HGVC on Paradise; Bay Club at Waikoloa; Vacation Village Williamsburg; Sheraton Flex
I actually just checked into Grandstand building 85 (Next to the Grandstand pool) yesterday, and have encountered some items about the room that have made clear that I am the first person to use the room since renovation, and they are renovating the building between the bus stop and pool right now.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
I actually just checked into Grandstand building 85 (Next to the Grandstand pool) yesterday, and have encountered some items about the room that have made clear that I am the first person to use the room since renovation, and they are renovating the building between the bus stop and pool right now.
Excellent! For some strange reason, we have been assigned that building on each of our last two trips. We are going in early May, so maybe our luck will stay with us -- hoping for the same building with renovations.