• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is the value of being in the Disney bubble with everything changed so drastically with FP+ and no Extra Magic Hours?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I am asking this because I was going to enter an ongoing request for next December and January for Disney resorts for our kids and for us, and Rick asked me why we don't just stay at our usual Marriott. I couldn't think of a single reason to stay on Disney property. The buses, we only use those for Magic Kingdom to get the bus direct to the park without stopping at the transportation center.

The bag check is basically a no-hassle event after the metal detectors were changed to allow us to walk in with keys and cell phones in our bags and pockets. We don't get stopped by the metal detector, even when we have a cooler with cans. So no long waits at bag check anymore.

I can think of no reason to stay on Disney property. We have free parking with our AP's. Marriott units are so nice, but I do love the beds here at OKW. The bed is very comfortable and I sleep well. Could be that I am so tired from all of the walking in the parks.

Crowd levels are very low at the parks. Our granddaughter is finally 38" and was able to ride Slinky Dog her first time, and the wait was only 20 minutes. That is amazing. She also got to ride Millenium Falcon, waited only 15 minutes for that one. Basically it's just a long walk into the ride. Half of the country is not traveling at this time, so crowd levels are low.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I agree that I wouldn’t make special effort to stay in the WDW bubble unless I were staying at a near park resort where I could walk to at least one park or take the Skyliner (we don’t travel at high-volume times like park opening or closing). We’re out of DVC points for this UY and next due to our big Christmas 2020 family trip, so we’re happy to stay offsite via RCI exchanges. We too have APs so have free parking. The only other perk we would use onsite would be DME, which is going away at the end of this year.

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
I agree, it appears there is no real incentive to stay onsite anymore, just convenience and preference. However, if the visit is before the end of September, there is a ticket sale, 2 extra days added to your ticket on select 4-night/3-day room and ticket package stay. The ticket special is also offered to DVC members.

If staying in one of the monorail resorts, it makes getting to MK easier, Riviera or others for the Skyliner or easy access to Epcot via the BWV, BCV, YC resorts. Or in my case, we love staying in AKL CL(hopefully it will return) for the added perks of Club Level, so it’s preference.

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
I’m making the same decision myself for my hopeful stay in May. A couple things to consider though, since you’re talking a year out. I’d anticipate capacity to be greatly increased by next December-and if that’s the case, all onsite guests will get a half hour head start over you at every park, every day. It’s not a lot, but it’s definitely enough to cause huge waits on the most popular attractions by the time you get in. We don’t know if we will have FP back by then or what it will look like-so who knows if that will matter much or not. Just something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
I’m making the same decision myself for my hopeful stay in May. A couple things to consider though, since you’re talking a year out. I’d anticipate capacity to be greatly increased by next December-and if that’s the case, all onsite guests will get a half hour head start over you at every park, every day. It’s not a lot, but it’s definitely enough to cause huge waits on the most popular attractions by the time you get in. We don’t know if we will have FP back by then or what it will look like-so who knows if that will matter much or not. Just something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Limace, we have the same home resorts! :)

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am asking this because I was going to enter an ongoing request for next December and January for Disney resorts for our kids and for us, and Rick asked me why we don't just stay at our usual Marriott. I couldn't think of a single reason to stay on Disney property. The buses, we only use those for Magic Kingdom to get the bus direct to the park without stopping at the transportation center.

The bag check is basically a no-hassle event after the metal detectors were changed to allow us to walk in with keys and cell phones in our bags and pockets. We don't get stopped by the metal detector, even when we have a cooler with cans. So no long waits at bag check anymore.

I can think of no reason to stay on Disney property. We have free parking with our AP's. Marriott units are so nice, but I do love the beds here at OKW. The bed is very comfortable and I sleep well. Could be that I am so tired from all of the walking in the parks.

Crowd levels are very low at the parks. Our granddaughter is finally 38" and was able to ride Slinky Dog her first time, and the wait was only 20 minutes. That is amazing. She also got to ride Millenium Falcon, waited only 15 minutes for that one. Basically it's just a long walk into the ride. Half of the country is not traveling at this time, so crowd levels are low.
Why stay on Disney property?
1. Location. You can't get any closer.
2. Ease of transport to theme parks. No driving needed. You can walk from some resorts to the parks.
3. Nicely themed resorts. The feature pools have lifeguards and activities.
4. Variety of accommodations. There are plenty of different Disney resorts to choose from. Want one with a food court? It's available.

Whether or not is worth it is up to each individual person. You can have a great vacation no matter where you stay.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Perhaps the Disney bubble has burst, pun intended.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like on and off site now and previously. The reasons that come to mind to stay on property for many currently are the 30 min early entry for all parks that is forthcoming, theming/resorts, and on property transportation. I don't see the loss of ME as a reason not to largely because I didn't see it as a reason to do so before. Of course you forego the parking fee when staying at DVC through points including as a private rental or RCI exchange.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you only have APs, your biggest restriction will be only three theme park reservations at a time. So if you plan to go for more than three days, getting subsequent reservations after you have used one up may be difficult.

We just spent five days in the Disney bubble and checked into Grande Vista today. Let me say, 4PM checkin on a Friday at MGV was horrendous. The line went out the door back to the fountain and there was no place to park in the registration area. I can't say enough about online checkin and direct-to-room that Disney has at their resorts. So much easier. The bigger timeshare brands need to figure out a way to accommodate this.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
If you only have APs, your biggest restriction will be only three theme park reservations at a time. So if you plan to go for more than three days, getting subsequent reservations after you have used one up may be difficult.

We just spent five days in the Disney bubble and checked into Grande Vista today. Let me say, 4PM checkin on a Friday at MGV was horrendous. The line went out the door back to the fountain and there was no place to park in the registration area. I can't say enough about online checkin and direct-to-room that Disney has at their resorts. So much easier. The bigger timeshare brands need to figure out a way to accommodate this.
Should have come over to SVV. It’s Nice and quiet

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score

With direct-to-room, you could avoid the sales people, so that will never happen.

Many people show up right at 4 p.m. so I try to check-in at 3 p.m. or earlier or after 7 p.m. I've found the fastest check-ins were late when the "parking pass" people had went home.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've really liked all the Marriotts that we've stayed at in Orlando.

We head to AKV (via RCI) in a couple of weeks and are excited for the experience.

Since we travel in the offseason (early June, mid October) it's usually ridiculously cheap to book a getaway and w/ the exchange fees + mandatory DVC fees and loss of on-site benefits I just don't see us staying at DVC resorts more than once every few years.

We really love the theming at Disney Resorts, but it's hard to justify with the price difference and loss of benefits.

I imagine every few years, we will get our Disney fix and try to exchange in though.

While I still do wish that I bought into DVC 6 or 7 years ago when I first put my research in, I don't think I'd ever consider it moving forward.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

I was under the impression that Marriott's was now offering online check- in to avoid in person check-in lines because of COVID-19.

Is this feature only offer at Marriott's hotels?

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
Should have come over to SVV. It’s Nice and quiet
@CPNY I want to be like you when I grow up!!! :giggle: Unbelievable that you are at Sheraton Vistana Villages!!!! I have never been there yet, but you know how much I sure love the Orlando area and resorts!!!! Sheraton Vistana Villages is definitely on my "Must Try" list. I am so jealous that @CPNY & @dioxide45 get to go to Orlando so much!!!! Enjoy my friends!! When you sit out on that balcony in the evening, raise a glass for me!!! :wave:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
With no fp and no emh, it’s less enticing for sure. We’ve “drank the kool aid” but are trying to detox ourselves. Sold our large dvc akv contract and are booked for Bonnet creek for our next stay, with a little side of OKW-can’t go cold turkey. Those II cheap Marriott getaways and AC are looking pretty good. If M only had Mickey waffles for DH!

Inhislove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Catalina Beach Club
I highly recommend the double sided Mickey Waffle Maker that makes 6 minis at one time! As a mom of young kids, I rarely ate my Mickey waffles hot when we did splurge on them. We bought that when everything closed down and have Mickey waffles regularly as a special brunch!!

We bought ours from the Disney Store and one as a gift from Hot Topic over Christmas, which worked well.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
We used to be DVC mainly on site people when my son was 7 years old and younger. Over the past few years we have been doing less and less onsite DVC stays as he has gotten older.

It is cheaper staying at Marriott or HGVC resort off site. Plus for comparable size, the MVC and HGVC units are larger and better equipped.

For the past 3 weeks wife and I have been at Vistana Villages (1 week) and MGV for one week and now rounding off our last week here at AKV. MGV was not that crowded 2 weeks ago but a couple days before checkout the resort got noticeably busier. I thought that was because of MLK weekend. According to dioxide it is even busier now. Liked our stay at Vistana Villages but prefer the Marriott or HGVC resorts in orlando. Sorry to have missed all the tuggers that are now in Orlando. Hopefully meet you all another time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I will enter an ongoing search for December and see if I can get something for Disney. The kids would love to stay even at Saratoga Springs, our DIL just loves the experience of being onsite. I can add us into their unit and use the benefits, but we can stay at Marriott for the two weeks they would be at Disney. We will have the best of both worlds ourselves. Too bad our granddaughter doesn't get her own room, but they will give that up for a Disney stay.

How is the update at Saratoga Springs going, by the way? Anyone hear if they are about done with it? I thought our one bedroom in January of 2020 was sadly in need of updating. It was actually looking rundown. Old Key West is pretty great for these two weeks. I feel very blessed to have these units. Our kids at OKW last week and this week have savanna view at AKL, all via exchange. They love it there.

I just have so many weeks to use in II after depositing MANY Myrtle Beach weeks into II last year.

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
We are just back from 3 nights at Bay Lake. I think the switch from EMH to 30 minutes extra at all the parks will be an improvement and I expect Fastpass may be back once we return to normal, canceling the airport magic express to me is a bit of a head scratcher but perhaps Disney is expecting train service to be available. We like being able to walk to parks or Disney Springs and like others enjoy the resort theme's (particularly AKL) I think if our visit is primarily Disney park focused we will continue to stay in the bubble but we recently had a great stay at lakeshore and the off site rooms are nicer in my view. MCO is one of the places to which we get direct flight service so we try to go a few times a year. The girls all love Disney Springs so SSR works well for us and we both own SSR DVC points and can book it thru RCI points. I guess for us, and the way we travel, Disney's changes will not make us book differently

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How is the update at Saratoga Springs going, by the way? Anyone hear if they are about done with it?
They’ve finished both of the Preferred sections and part of the Standard sections, and it’s expected they’ll finish it all by summer this year. So you should be good for December. So far everyone seems to love the changes - especially the queen size real mattress Murphy bed coming down over the couch taking the place of the foldout sofa.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
canceling the airport magic express to me is a bit of a head scratcher but perhaps Disney is expecting train service to be available.
What I read suggests that the Mears contract was coming to an end and Disney decided not to renew it. Speculation is that either Mears will provide similar service (as they did before DME) or Disney themselves will operate it — whichever it is, it will be at a price, of course.

And what I read about the train is that even in the best of circumstances it won’t open in 2022, nor is Brightline’s goal to operate commuter service between WDW and MCO. Their objective is for transport between Miami, WDW and Tampa. But the local Orlando commuter rail might have opportunity to use the tracks to provide WDW-MCO shuttles.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
we're excited to have the SSR pull down bed and an extra single in 1BR for 2 sleeping spaces for b/g kids! Esp. as that's what comes up in RCI. SSR is a nice walk to Disney Springs and they have a good food court and nice feature pool as well as a very decent secondary pool over by Paddocks that gives feature pool a break (as well as other quiet pools and a spray ground).

dannybaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just stayed for two weeks at SSR and thought the rooms were horrible at best. Bed was very uncomfortable, dishwasher could not have been any louder. The drawers kept falling out in the kitchen. The pull out sofa reminds me of a motel six sofa extremely uncomfortable and yes the old small TV sets should be thrown away. The two extra chairs one in the living room and one in the bedroom were the most uncomfortable chairs. The wall ac outlets all need replacement my power cords and heating pad kept Falling out. Limited food service at the resort and the main restaurant is serving burgers and fries. we had the refill cup and went to the market at least twice daily and it seemed like a ghost town. simply no magic staying at DVC instead of usual MarriottVacationClub.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We just stayed for two weeks at SSR and thought the rooms were horrible at best. Bed was very uncomfortable, dishwasher could not have been any louder. The drawers kept falling out in the kitchen. The pull out sofa reminds me of a motel six sofa extremely uncomfortable and yes the old small TV sets should be thrown away. The two extra chairs one in the living room and one in the bedroom were the most uncomfortable chairs. The wall ac outlets all need replacement my power cords and heating pad kept Falling out. Limited food service at the resort and the main restaurant is serving burgers and fries. we had the refill cup and went to the market at least twice daily and it seemed like a ghost town. simply no magic staying at DVC instead of usual MarriottVacationClub.
I hope you were in one of the Standard sections that haven’t been renovated and not in a Preferred location that has been! I’ve seen nothing but good reviews of the renovated units, especially of the queen size Murphy bed that comes out of the wall and covers the couch and contains the same mattress that’s on the bed.