• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is the strangest thing you have ever brought on vacation......

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Is this still a mystery for you?

It is. The things packed are usually the same size. Though as I have learned, not by number since another mystery to me is how three blouses with exactly the same measurements in inches from different brands are three different sizes on the labels.

My late wife was a size 12 when I married her some 55+ years ago and became a size 4 or 6 by the time she passed with the exact same weight, height and measurements as when we were wed.

As I said, I’ve learned to live with it since it seems to be in the genes;).

Sorry if I diverted the thread:)

Cheers

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Now I am trying to get rid of that fax machine. The charity thrift shop won’t take it, garbage men dug it out of can and left on curb, no one wanted it free on Facebook marketplace .
Some stores, including Staples and Best Buy, will recycle most small electronics. They may charge a small fee, but those really shouldn't be sent to the landfill.

Kurt

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Fishing or scuba lead doesn't go through the airport X-Ray very well. Usually they pull you aside to examine your gear. One time we rented a beater Land Crusier in Cabo to drive the beaches for fishing rooster fish. The resort didn't like this piece of junk on the property. A decade ago I would bring a stainless steel strainer with a wireless signal dongle inserted in the middle to catch the pool wifi and fasten it to the deck rail.

Bill

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
By me, nothing is strange or unusual about French horns. But in the timeshare context, I'm sure a French horn belongs high up in the unusual category.

Sometimes when we drove to Florida for timeshare vacations in Orlando & Kissimmee, I used to bring along a French horn so I could sit in with a community concert band in Lakeland FL not far away. (I skipped it when we traveled to Florida by airline -- although I have taken horns along on flights to or from other destinations.)

Last time we drove to Orlando, I picked up an eBay French horn along the way (by arrangement with the eBay seller, to save shipping the cost). While I was at the eBay seller's location, I bought another horn he offered at a price I couldn't turn down, so during the rest of the trip I was schlepping 2 horns around with me. Most of the time, that was OK. It became problematic while we were driving around with all our stuff (The Chief Of Staff's & mine), plus our 2 granddaughters & their backpacks, plus our granddaughters' 2 friends & their backpacks, plus 2 French horns, one in a carrying case & the other just bare naked out in the air. The car was jam-packed for sure, but it all worked out OK.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is. The things packed are usually the same size. Though as I have learned, not by number since another mystery to me is how three blouses with exactly the same measurements in inches from different brands are three different sizes on the labels.

My late wife was a size 12 when I married her some 55+ years ago and became a size 4 or 6 by the time she passed with the exact same weight, height and measurements as when we were wed.

Cheers
I did the opposite size wise, but when pictures pop up on Facebook fromm12 years ago, I am still wearing those clothes

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I did the opposite size wise, but when pictures pop up on Facebook fromm12 years ago, I am still wearing those clothes
I have pictures from vacations in Hawaii where I am wearing the same shorts and tshirts. I don't even want to think how old some of those are.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
On one "drive-to" vacation, I brought a couple of plants that I was in the process of propagating/rooting. I didn't want to risk killing them at home because they ran out of water.

On another drive-to vacation, we knew that they didn't have a microwave in the unit. So we brought one with us. Luckily they DID have a kitchen sink ;)

beejaybeeohio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Looking back, I remember bringing a tuxedo on cruises that would get used for exactly one meal. Thank goodness they've gotten over THAT!
Not only has the tuxedo gone the way of the dodo bird on Celebrity, so has the jacket requirement for the men! Although I must admit that I do appreciate those of the male gender who do dress nattily on "Evening Chic" nights, especially Scots in kilts!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not only has the tuxedo gone the way of the dodo bird on Celebrity, so has the jacket requirement for the men! Although I must admit that I do appreciate those of the male gender who do dress nattily on "Evening Chic" nights, especially Scots in kilts!
Barb, I know you. You just want to peek under them!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

Cheers
Here's my explanation. I hate being hot. I hate being cold. Sometimes I hate an outfit I have loved at other times. I just don't know what it will be when I pack so I need to have options. That said, I never take anything larger than a carry on and I pull my own weight. So my husband doesn't care.

Now my husband - that's another story. He's an underpacker so we have to do laundry at least once during a trip and I get to look at the same clothes all week! But it's all good. He is the best travel companion in the whole world. :)

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Here's my explanation. I hate being hot. I hate being cold. Sometimes I hate an outfit I have loved at other times. I just don't know what it will be when I pack so I need to have options. That said, I never take anything larger than a carry on and I pull my own weight. So my husband doesn't care.

Now my husband - that's another story. He's an underpacker so we have to do laundry at least once during a trip and I get to look at the same clothes all week! But it's all good. He is the best travel companion in the whole world. :)

After Cliff packs I slip additional underwear into his suitcase based on how many days of undies we'll need before we will have a convenient laundry day -- when combining hotels and timeshares on a longer trip, especially adding European stops to the mix, laundry timing is critical! He'd already worn the same shirt for three days one time when we met his sister in Santa Fe. I hadn't noticed. On the fourth day (only day two for her) she commented he was wearing yesterday's shirt. I thought it was weird of her to notice and comment out loud, but sure enough a trip to Ross was in order because he had forgot to pack any other shirts.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So far, most of these don't sound strange at all to me. The only ones that do seem a bit strange are:

kilt
toilet plunger
full dresser drawers
:D

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).

We take a travel clothesline with us for hanging laundry in a hotel room or cruise ship cabin. Similar to this : Travel clothes line
Works great! Just kind of embarrassing when two managers had to come to our cabin to unlock our safe and our undies, socks and shirts were hanging across the room. We spread a plastic shower curtain liner under the clothes so that they don't drip on upholstery or carpet.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
My mother flew to NC to spend Christmas with us one year. We fixed a bone-in ham for Christmas dinner. Mother was flying on to Indiana to visit other relatives and wrapped and boxed up the ham bone with pickings still on it, tied a string around the box, put her name and address on it and carried it on the plane. Said she made the best soup with it once there.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We take a travel clothesline with us for hanging laundry in a hotel room or cruise ship cabin. Similar to this : Travel clothes line
Works great! Just kind of embarrassing when two managers had to come to our cabin to unlock our safe and our undies, socks and shirts were hanging across the room. We spread a plastic shower curtain liner under the clothes so that they don't drip on upholstery or carpet.

I think the idea that you travel with a plastic shower curtain liner is stranger than the clothesline :)

And so far...I think the toilet plunger wins the prize!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo

I like dressing up. I have taken my Tuxedo on trips to Cabo, Las Vegas, San Diego, etc. Patti packs nice Cocktail Dresses and Jewelry. Our San Diego Trip was for St. Pat's Day. I had a Green Bow Tie and Cummerbund. When we arrived at the Restaurant (I do not remember the name. It was on the top floor of a Commercial bldg and the flight path was below us.) The Maitre d` had us wait saying our table was not ready. What happened is he quickly had the Staff clean and reset the table with the best view. We honored the Restaurant and so they honored us. This has also happened in Las Vegas. At Lowry's the GM came by the table to thank us. So dressing up is still appreciated.

I actually own two Tuxedos and several Tuxedo shirts. For accoutrements I have the standard Black Tie (Bow and Long Tie) and Cummerbund; Gambler Black and Gold Vest with matching Bow Tie; Red Cummerbund and Bow Tie; and, as mentioned above the Green Set.

I am still looking for the right White Dinner Jacket.

Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Packing right now because we're headed to Smuggs today. YAY!!! And I just packed toilet paper. Life is too short for cheap toilet paper, and you never know what you'll find at a timeshare. :)

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Packing right now because we're headed to Smuggs today. YAY!!! And I just packed toilet paper. Life is too short for cheap toilet paper, and you never know what you'll find at a timeshare. :)
Apparently toilet paper was not reliably splinter-free till the 1930s or so.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I like dressing up.

I actually own two Tuxedos and several Tuxedo shirts.

Same here. After retiring I missed the “Dinning Outs” at the Air Force Base. For Studs and Cuff Links on the shirt, I have USAF and USN Aicraft I’ve flown or worked on. I also have a set of miniature medals I was awarded as a civilian engineer that fit the coat pocket. To top it off, I can actually tie a bow tie.

Cheers

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

Cheers

Women's off-the-rack clothing is notoriously "vanity-sized" which is very frustrating in the stores and absolutely infuriating when trying to mail-order shop. GGGGRRRRR.

Designer/couture clothing and most sewing patterns (from reputable companies) are still based on the industry size chart established decades ago. You wouldn't believe how many bride clients I have who are simply aghast at buying a designer gown or being measured for a pattern in a Size 12 when they can buy Size 6 or 8 OTR at Macy's. I tell them all the same thing - ignore the size and don't ever buy something that is too small. Clothing that's too big can always be altered to fit, clothing that's too small can't.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like dressing up. I have taken my Tuxedo on trips to Cabo, Las Vegas, San Diego, etc. Patti packs nice Cocktail Dresses and Jewelry. Our San Diego Trip was for St. Pat's Day. I had a Green Bow Tie and Cummerbund. When we arrived at the Restaurant (I do not remember the name. It was on the top floor of a Commercial bldg and the flight path was below us.) The Maitre d` had us wait saying our table was not ready. What happened is he quickly had the Staff clean and reset the table with the best view. We honored the Restaurant and so they honored us. This has also happened in Las Vegas. At Lowry's the GM came by the table to thank us. So dressing up is still appreciated.

I actually own two Tuxedos and several Tuxedo shirts. For accoutrements I have the standard Black Tie (Bow and Long Tie) and Cummerbund; Gambler Black and Gold Vest with matching Bow Tie; Red Cummerbund and Bow Tie; and, as mentioned above the Green Set.

I am still looking for the right White Dinner Jacket.
Mister A's, perhaps?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Women's off-the-rack clothing is notoriously "vanity-sized" which is very frustrating in the stores and absolutely infuriating when trying to mail-order shop. GGGGRRRRR.

Designer/couture clothing and most sewing patterns (from reputable companies) are still based on the industry size chart established decades ago. You wouldn't believe how many bride clients I have who are simply aghast at buying a designer gown or being measured for a pattern in a Size 12 when they can buy Size 6 or 8 OTR at Macy's. I tell them all the same thing - ignore the size and don't ever buy something that is too small. Clothing that's too big can always be altered to fit, clothing that's too small can't.
Yeah I'm a 4-6 now, used to be an 8 -10. I weigh about 5 lbs more than I did in 1983.

My daughters are avid athletes and we had to order a size 14 wedding dress for my size 6, rock climbing daughter, just to make sure that her arms/shoulders had enough room because the size 8 sample fit except that the arms were skin tight. When she put it on for alterations it looked like a potato sack and there were many tears. It looked awesome when finished but she was pretty upset that she had been made to order the 14. :D

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Yeah I'm a 4-6 now, used to be an 8 -10. I weigh about 5 lbs more than I did in 1983.

My daughters are avid athletes and we had to order a size 14 wedding dress for my size 6, rock climbing daughter, just to make sure that her arms/shoulders had enough room because the size 8 sample fit except that the arms were skin tight. When she put it on for alterations it looked like a potato sack and there were many tears. It looked awesome when finished but she was pretty upset that she had been made to order the 14. :D
Off topic, but wedding dresses and bridesmaid dresses are the worst. My younger daughter was looking for an all white dress for her high school graduation. We went to a bridal shop. Nothing fit, they all would have required massive alterations. We found her a white dress, off the rack, at the Jessica McClintock boutique in San Francisco that fit her perfectly. I think the wedding shops make it so alterations are needed.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
In the late nineties we learned to travel with our fax machine. My husband was poa for his mother,she was ill, and we frequently had to fax proof of poa to doctors, hospitals, Etc.
Now I am trying to get rid of that fax machine. The charity thrift shop won’t take it, garbage men dug it out of can and left on curb, no one wanted it free on Facebook marketplace .
Our county has electronics recycling days where anything with a cord, excluding tv and monitors, are free to turn in.