• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is the strangest thing you have ever brought on vacation......

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, it has been a while since we had this post. Anything new?

For me, it was a last minute trip to St. Thomas. Frozen chicken, hamburger and steaks in my luggage.....snuggled right next to my bathing suit. It was still frozen solid when we arrived.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
When my kids were little we bought a kiddie pool for them to swim in , put it next to the resort pool so they felt like they were at the pool, but not so deep.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I travel at all times with my pillow. It goes into a compression bag then into my carryon. I forgot it once and had to try to buy a similar one. Fail. Never again! I put it in a colored pillowcase so that I don't forget it at a resort.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I brought a heavy skillet with me to Canmore, Canada. The Immigration inspectors weren't happy with it as they searched my luggage. "Are you entering the country to work as a chef?" "Are you seeking employment in Canada?" No, but the TUG reviews said the skillet at my destination resort was sub-par ... so I brought my own.

My first trip to AU, I made the mistake of bringing microwave popcorn. This was quickly confiscated at the airport.

FWIW, I always bring my own pillow cases (colored, so I don't forget them at the destination) as I have sooooo many allergies to laundry products, etc. More recently both hubby and I have started lugging our pillows, as well. (At least for nearby, drive-to, destinations.)

But I'm guessing the strangest thing was dragging a huge flip-board with easel and colored markers into our cruise ship cabin. We were sailing from San Diego (home port) to Miami. I had a customer delivery in Orlando on arrival ... and was creating my presentation on the flip-board during the 12-night cruise. (LOL, my customer paid for our rental car, our stay in Orlando and my flight home. We had purchased the cruise on auction just a few days from sailing ... what a completely CHEAP, and marvelous, vacation.)

extra-04141994.jpg

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the late nineties we learned to travel with our fax machine. My husband was poa for his mother,she was ill, and we frequently had to fax proof of poa to doctors, hospitals, Etc.
Now I am trying to get rid of that fax machine. The charity thrift shop won’t take it, garbage men dug it out of can and left on curb, no one wanted it free on Facebook marketplace .

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the late nineties we learned to travel with our fax machine. My husband was poa for his mother,she was ill, and we frequently had to fax proof of poa to doctors, hospitals, Etc…

Similar story here. I bought a multifunction printer during a timeshare vacation in Hawaii to print out a few very long legal documents to mail back home. It was way cheaper than having them printed at the resort or office supply stores on Maui.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
As for the females I have traveled with, my late wife, my daughters and my friends, I can only say they bring several things they never wear. Always thought that was strange but I learned to live and let live :cool:

Cheers

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Electric griddle, frying pan, sharp knife, chip clips, folding hamper, sun shade for rental car, sewing kit, plastic wrap, foil, and a multi tool. Regularly packed for Hawaii trips, every one of them. Some don't go to Orlando.

We also bring spices for cooking (a compact set I bought at Amazon and refill), sometimes a big can of green chiles, and of course I bring coffee syrup (Jordan's skinny syrup in any Caramel flavor).

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
For drive to locations Patti has two large plastic tubs with her kitchen supplies. Even before she unpacks she reorganizes the kitchen to suit her. Patti also takes her personal Pillow on all trips. Several years ago DIL brought Hot Pot to Hawaii.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We brought a slow cooker on our last vacation. Loved having dinner ready when we came in from the beach. Nothing like pulled pork on vacation.
Hono Koa, Sands of Kahana, Kahana Beach and all other Soleil Management properties all have slow cookers. It's such a nice thing to have.

Hilton on the BI had rice cookers. I don't eat rice because it's pretty high carbs, so that was something I didn't use and thought rather odd to have.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
For almost 10 years we traveled everywhere with a toddler travel inflatable bed. Allowed us to get the family in a one bedroom vs two bedroom room.

Now my standard Marriott timeshare pack includes an induction plate and skillet for any studio stays.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
When we drove to Mazatlan from Phoenix, we took several unusual things. We would go for a month and when we first went in 2009, discovered that ocean front units could get hot with no shade, so in 2010-2018, So, starting in 2010, we took four square umbrellas for shade - we made umbrella stands out of PVC pipe and then filled trash bags with sand to hold them down and used bungee cords to connect them together.

We also took a countertop oven because Mexico timeshares do not have ovens, so it came in handy because we could take frozen pizza, lasagna, casseroles, and slice and bake cookie dough with us. This unit did have 2 4-burner cook-tops, 2 microwaves, 2 dishwashers and 2 full-sized refrigerators - just no oven.

Hubby just reminded me that we also took an electric kettle style grill to cook our fish and shrimp on. We took the legs off and put it in a plastic tub to transport. It was a good thing we had an SUV and just 2 people!

The beach was just the other side of the pool.
1626361416867.jpeg

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
As for the females I have traveled with, my late wife, my daughters and my friends, I can only say they bring several things they never wear. Always thought that was strange but I learned to live and let live :cool:

Cheers
Is this still a mystery for you?

The female body changes shape and size ... even in the space of a few days. We never really know if we will fit into those favorite jeans next Tuesday while on travel. We might need a "Plan B" ready to go ... but inwardly we don't like our Plan B. We bring it ... hoping we won't have to use it. This goes for jeans, bras, fitted tops, shoes, etc. We need our Plan B ... just in case. (Flying does quite a number on my body shape ... ugh!)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking back, I remember bringing a tuxedo on cruises that would get used for exactly one meal. Thank goodness they've gotten over THAT!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
In the late nineties we learned to travel with our fax machine. My husband was poa for his mother,she was ill, and we frequently had to fax proof of poa to doctors, hospitals, Etc.
Now I am trying to get rid of that fax machine. The charity thrift shop won’t take it, garbage men dug it out of can and left on curb, no one wanted it free on Facebook marketplace .
Check to see if your city or county has a bulk drop off day. YOu may need to take the fax machine to the facility to drop it off. This would usually be the same day that they accept old computers, electronics, batteries, paint, household cleaners, oil and other such items for drop off.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Not an odd thing to bring, but on the first trip dh and I took to Maui we brought our golf clubs. They rode around in the back of the car for a week.....never set foot on a golf course.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I've been house boating on Lake Powell with friends a number of times. A group of a dozen or so from Southern California would split the cost of the trip, making it very affordable. Two people we didn't know well drove in last minute from Palm Springs, nearly missing our departure. They had worked until late the night before, then had thrown their things into the back of their car, and had driven like mad to make it to the boat launch.

As they started unloading their things, I noticed they had no suitcases. They had stacked their dresser drawers into the back of their car, with all contents still in them. They said they didn't know what they'd need, so they loaded up everything.

They quite literally brought their dresser with them on vacation. :D

Dave

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Nothing strange going, but coming home....I found the chart paper with sticky back at Goodwill in Missouri...$2 a pad. (It's wicked expensive here!) I bought every single one they had....about 30 pads...for school. :)