• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is the SCAM here?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
My wife received an email that appeared to come from me, or at least it had my name in it. I had supposedly forwarded it to her while I was still sleeping this morning but it actually came from (my name) <ps9767896@gmail.com>. (When you see parenthesis, that is where I had taken out my personal info for this post. ) I have a gmail account but not with numbers before the @ symbol. Here is what the email said:

Subject: <(my first name), Your Order No. 4038196 payment is confirmed

INVOICE
Mcafee, United States
Customer Support: +1 (808) 500-0930

Date: Monday, September 23, 2024 21:22:22
Invoice Number: UFH-828-XF-6122

Hello,

We truly value your business with Mcafee and want to notify you that your subscription has now expired.

Transaction Details:

Reference Number: UFH-828-XF-6122
Service: Anti-Adware
Warranty Period: 6-Year
Amount Paid: $470.69

Customer Information:

Client Name: (my name)
Client UID: UFH-828-XF-6122
Client Email: (my wife's email)

For any queries or to discuss renewal options, please contact us at +1 (808) 500-0930. You may be eligible for a refund upon cancellation.

Yours Faithfully,
The Mcafee, Inc.
Manager: Larry, Sylvester
Copyright © 2024 Company. All Rights Reserved.
--------------------------------------------
I checked the phone number and it is from Hawaii. A strange place to have customer service located. I did a Google search on it and got nothing.

What is disturbing is that they had my name, my wife's name and her email address.

So, I'm wondering if they wanted me to call them and possibly give them a credit card number to get a refund or if there is some other angle to this.

Perhaps this will serve as a Public Service Announcement to others to be aware of this fraud.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
This is a version of a fairly common scam. They give you a official-looking invoice that indicates you have paid for some kind of service with the hope you will call them to dispute the charge. That is when they try to get CC or bank information from you, thinking you are reversing the order. As for the amount of personal information they have, it is not surprising. In reality, most this level of information is accessible to scammers for all of us.

Just ignore it and move on.

Kurt

RX8

Timeshare Scam Investigator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I get at least 10 PayPal invoices a week for subscription services such as Norton, Mcafee and Geek Squad. About 1/3 of those are from a fake person called Kendra Blake.

Also, while the phone number prefix is from Hawaii, a search of that line reveals that it is a VoIP number meaning that they are likely calling from outside of the US.

IMG_8940.jpeg

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This is a refund scam. You call, they pretend to refund you some amount of money because you didn't really intend to be billed for whatever was in the email. They trick you into giving them control of your screen and then they make it look like they refunded you way too much money and how they will get fired if they don't get it fixed. The scam is that they alter the code on the screen to make it look like you were refunded a lot more money than you should have received. In your example they may make it look like they refunded you $4470.69 instead of just the $470.69 that you paid for this non existent renewal. The $4470.69 that looks like is in your account isn't really there. If one was to just refresh their screen, it would refresh to the real amounts.

They pray on people who are vulnerable and will feel sorry for them and their sob story about refunding too much money and losing their job or worse. They ask you to go out and buy gift cards. Usually Google Play cards to return the refund overage to them. You give them the gift card codes and they are off with your money.

Do a YouTube search for "scambaiting" and you will turn up lots of videos of people who target these scammer scumbags and waste their time.
Here is one such video;

Last edited:

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
My wife received an email that appeared to come from me, or at least it had my name in it. I had supposedly forwarded it to her while I was still sleeping this morning but it actually came from (my name) <ps9767896@gmail.com>. (When you see parenthesis, that is where I had taken out my personal info for this post. ) I have a gmail account but not with numbers before the @ symbol. Here is what the email said:

Subject: <(my first name), Your Order No. 4038196 payment is confirmed

INVOICE
Mcafee, United States
Customer Support: +1 (808) 500-0930

Date: Monday, September 23, 2024 21:22:22
Invoice Number: UFH-828-XF-6122

Hello,

We truly value your business with Mcafee and want to notify you that your subscription has now expired.

Transaction Details:

Reference Number: UFH-828-XF-6122
Service: Anti-Adware
Warranty Period: 6-Year
Amount Paid: $470.69

Customer Information:

Client Name: (my name)
Client UID: UFH-828-XF-6122
Client Email: (my wife's email)

For any queries or to discuss renewal options, please contact us at +1 (808) 500-0930. You may be eligible for a refund upon cancellation.

Yours Faithfully,
The Mcafee, Inc.
Manager: Larry, Sylvester
Copyright © 2024 Company. All Rights Reserved.
--------------------------------------------
I checked the phone number and it is from Hawaii. A strange place to have customer service located. I did a Google search on it and got nothing.

What is disturbing is that they had my name, my wife's name and her email address.

So, I'm wondering if they wanted me to call them and possibly give them a credit card number to get a refund or if there is some other angle to this.

Perhaps this will serve as a Public Service Announcement to others to be aware of this fraud.
My spam box gets 4 or 5 of those every day I think. They want you to call so they can ask for more info

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
from Hawaii. A strange place to have customer service located
Wailuku? I can think of worse places to (hypothetically) sit around and scam people on the phone. And the airport is close, so when the Feds close in ...
but yes, with VPNs & VOIP, they almost certainly ain't where you think they is

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Any email like that from someone I do not know is marked as spam.
Then I check my CC accounts to make sure there's no fraudulent charges.
(other than my wife's trip to the mall).

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Any email like that from someone I do not know is marked as spam.
Then I check my CC accounts to make sure there's no fraudulent charges.
(other than my wife's trip to the mall).
How often do you check your CC accounts? I get multiple emails like this per day and I never check my accounts after receiving them. I usually look daily anyway just as normal course of business but not because I got these emails.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
My CC texts and emails me for charges over a certain amount. For certain purchases, it requires a code being sent to my phone. This keep big troubles away. There are little scammers too - so reviewing bill is always worthwhile.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
My CC texts and emails me for charges over a certain amount. For certain purchases, it requires a code being sent to my phone. This keep big troubles away. There are little scammers too - so reviewing bill is always worthwhile.
Yes, I have my CC accounts setup to email me with details whenever a charge is made. Anyone who has a CC account with this capability (usually in some online setting in the account) would be advised to turn this on and usually you can also set a threshold amount over which you get an email.

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
I get at least 10 PayPal invoices a week for subscription services such as Norton, Mcafee and Geek Squad. About 1/3 of those are from a fake person called Kendra Blake.

Also, while the phone number prefix is from Hawaii, a search of that line reveals that it is a VoIP number meaning that they are likely calling from outside of the US.

View attachment 99861
They just spoof the numbers. They can have the callerID show any number. I'm shocked that they don't just use a phone number from your contacts list to make it look like your wife is calling you.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
These emails from scammers aren't the result of actually doing anything, not charging your card, not purchasing what the email actually said. They just hope someone is gullible enough to believe it and call them to then fall for the ultimate scam. Most of these scams operate out of India.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I don't think there's such a thing as privacy anymore. We're all exposed.

I receive these emails regularly as well.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
They just spoof the numbers. They can have the callerID show any number. I'm shocked that they don't just use a phone number from your contacts list to make it look like your wife is calling you.
These aren't spoofed numbers. That would be on a caller ID for calls you receive. This scam is just an email with a phone number to call back. They may have picked 808 since it looks like it might be toll free, even though it isn't. Nearly anyone can get a US based phone number through services like Google Voice.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Thanks to all for your comments.