• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is the ONE charge you resent when you get your MF bill or when you go to a resort?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
When I was an owner, the one charge I resented was when the resort wanted extra for WIFI.

Why? WIFI is complimentary at many hospitality places. If WIFI was added to the MF bill, I wouldn’t object.

When I was an owner, I remember getting an MF bill where one of the Expenses listed for 120 dollars was “Golfing fees.” I looked deeper and found the resort was paying a third party to allow guests, owners and Board Members complimentary golf with a cart. My thought was “how does this required charge relate to actually maintaining the resort? Without it, the resort would remain maintained perfectly fine.”

So, what’s the one charge on your MF or when you visit your resort you really resent?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
My resorts don’t charge for it but I wouldn’t like a charge for parking.
My resorts don’t really have anything that I am against.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
My resorts don’t charge for it but I wouldn’t like a charge for parking.
My resorts don’t really have anything that I am against.

Question: do you know if Owners in Hawaii pay that Occupancy or transient tax or not? When I used to exchange for Hawaii awhile back, they did. It may be different if you are an owner. Its only a couple of bucks a day but it still adds up. Hmmm, pay because you are there...interesting concept.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Question: do you know if Owners in Hawaii pay that Occupancy or transient tax or not? When I used to exchange for Hawaii awhile back, they did. It may be different if you are an owner. Its only a couple of bucks a day but it still adds up. Hmmm, pay because you are there...interesting concept.

Yes, they do. It’s just another form of tax. I would rather not pay it but it doesn’t bother me.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I remember about 10 years ago I stayed at a resort in Coronado Island, CA. When I check out, they wanted 20 dollars a day. They called it an “exchanged owner fee.” I paid the 140 but I was not happy and would never return.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Mine is parking. I understand charging because they have to use someone else’s parking lot since there is no on premises parking. It would be interesting to know their profit margin. La belle Maison charges something like $25/day. We’re staying at the new Margaritaville in Nashville in March and I’ve read they charge $40/day. I think that is outrageous.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Mine is Activity Fees. I don't mind them so much, but at our Marriott properties, they seem to keep going up and up. We don't take part in any of the onsite activities, but I am paying for them. IMO, most of these should be pay for use.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Mine is parking. I understand charging because they have to use someone else’s parking lot since there is no on premises parking. It would be interesting to know their profit margin. La belle Maison charges something like $25/day. We’re staying at the new Margaritaville in Nashville in March and I’ve read they charge $40/day. I think that is outrageous.

I think it was at the Trump in Vegas where I had to use Valet to park. Even though it wasn’t required to tip, I felt obligated to. I just didn’t like feeling I had to use Valet.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Oh yes, I stayed at a resort in Kauai and I thought it was so nice of them to provide me with a Lei and a cool pineapple drink upon check in. On check out, they charged me a 50 dollar “Aloha fee”. What? It’s to pay for the Lei and drink I received at check in. Those “by the way” fees at check out really heat up my collar.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
My Bar Bill:cool:

Cheers

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I don’t know if RCI still does this, but they used to have exchanges in Mexico where there was a mandatory all inclusive fee. I wasn’t upset on the concept BUT charges of 150 per day and up per person was nuts. I never booked with them because I could get packages with all inclusive for a lot less.

Also, there were rescue points and weeks fees that became outrageous. I looked at it as I paid my MF and in return you give me points or weeks. There should be no fee or no limit on when I used them. It costs them zero to keep my points or weeks in the database. Crazy.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
At my favorite resort there are many more units then parking spaces. The resorts charges for parking and in the past would charge owners a reduced rate. It was first come first serve, no prepaying to reserve. Now as an owner you can prepay to reserve but you do get not discount, and do not know your spot until you get there. Some spots are so tight and impossible to get out of, that parking away from the resort in a lot is better. It bad enough I have to pay for parking but I hate being charged for the unknown Spot.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
At my favorite resort there are many more units then parking spaces. The resorts charges for parking and in the past would charge owners a reduced rate. It was first come first serve, no prepaying to reserve. Now as an owner you can prepay to reserve but you do get not discount, and do not know your spot until you get there. Some spots are so tight and impossible to get out of, that parking away from the resort in a lot is better. It bad enough I have to pay for parking but I hate being charged for the unknown Spot.

Just curious. How much do they charge a day or week or...?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Just curious. How much do they charge a day or week or...?

$25 a day, if I take the chance something will be available and don’t prepay it is $12.50. I usually pay for the first week as I arrive late and take my chances on the second week as I am there and can be first one in office the day of renewal. Even with the parking fee added to my mf, the total cost is still way below any other timeshare in the area. My beef isn’t with the actual cost. It is paying for a spot and not knowing which one it will be. I never have gotten a clear answer on how spots are assigned. If I was told a raffle then it is what it is.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
'Resort Fee'

I have a story to share on that one. There was a hotel I was staying at charging 30 dollars a day Resort fee. I asked the front desk why. Here were their responses:

1. All I rented was the room with a bed, not the facilities.
2. I need to think about this in terms of a car rental. When I rent a car, gas is not included unless I pay for it or fill it up on my return. So, why should the pool, exercise room, wifi be a freebie?
3. Look, I obviously can afford to travel so stop being cheap and ask silly questions.
4. It’s hotel policy.
5. You knew the charge before you booked.
6. Maintaining hotels costs money you know.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I remember about 10 years ago I stayed at a resort in Coronado Island, CA. When I check out, they wanted 20 dollars a day. They called it an “exchanged owner fee.” I paid the 140 but I was not happy and would never return.

Yes, that one bit me staying there as a GPX owner at different resort. I asked them where I could apply for a refund of the owner fee I paid at my home resort, he wasn't amused.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

shorts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Points
Morritts Tortuga Club (9 wks) Grand Cayman

Parking fees are one of our least favorite also, especially valet parking. We just stayed at Nashville Margaritaville and used a self park lot right across the street from the entrance. You have to go online and book it ahead of time so you can print out a receipt for your dashboard. There is no lot attendant at this lot so I don’t think in and out would be a problem, you would probably just pay for the entire period. We were only there for 2 days so didn’t plan to drive anywhere. Our charge was only $27 for the 2 days which sure beats $40 a day!

The website is premierparking.pmreserve.com/facility/ and the lot address is 504 6th Ave South

The Resort was really great and even had that brand new smell still!!
Happy New Year All!!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
You don’t have to pay it (we don’t), but I hate it that they automatically check the box for the ARDA fee. I know it’s only $5, but it’s the principle of it all. I don't want to put my money into supporting an organization that I feel doesn’t support me.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Parking fees are one of our least favorite also, especially valet parking. We just stayed at Nashville Margaritaville and used a self park lot right across the street from the entrance. You have to go online and book it ahead of time so you can print out a receipt for your dashboard. There is no lot attendant at this lot so I don’t think in and out would be a problem, you would probably just pay for the entire period. We were only there for 2 days so didn’t plan to drive anywhere. Our charge was only $27 for the 2 days which sure beats $40 a day!

The website is premierparking.pmreserve.com/facility/ and the lot address is 504 6th Ave South

The Resort was really great and even had that brand new smell still!!
Happy New Year All!!

Thanks for the info. We’re going for the SEC basketball tournament and will be there 4 nights. I doubt we will even need the car once we get there. Bridgestone Arena is only a block or two away and all the restaurants/bars we would ever need. The ability to walk everywhere is why we chose to stay there instead of Wyndham Nashville although it costs double the points.

Glad to hear you liked the property. Any suggestions for dining?

Harry - Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
You don’t have to pay it (we don’t), but I hate it that they automatically check the box for the ARDA fee. I know it’s only $5, but it’s the principle of it all. I don't want to put my money into supporting an organization that I feel doesn’t support me.
I also really resent having the ARDA fee listed on my MF bill. ARDA is a lobbying group for timeshare developers. Diamond Resorts adds it to the bill each year and lists it as a "ARDA-ROC Voluntary Contribution". Most people don't notice that it's optional, and don't read the FAQ on the back that says "You may opt not to contribute without reprisal or otherwise affecting your membership.". I call them up each year and ask them to deduct the $7, and keep calling them back until I see that it has been deducted.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We just paid $23.50 plus tip for the mandatory valet charge at the hotel where we stayed (Marriott Triada in Palm Springs). Parking is onsite - we could frequently see our car so I'm not sure why they do it that way.

Re: Coronado Beach Resort (I own there). I do cringe a bit when I see the resort fee charged to exchangers but at least there's some value there. The free bikes and beach gear is helpful and not cheap if you were to rent them. So at least there's that - and at CBR you don't have to pay $23.50 per day just to park your car!

Resort fees are just a colossal rip off. I feel the same way about the add on fees through Homeaway/VRBO/Airbnb. We are looking to stay somewhere near Hilo for two nights. If it says that the nightly cost is $X it's almost always $X+$50 by the time they add on the cleaning fee, service charge, and taxes.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I also really resent having the ARDA fee listed on my MF bill. ARDA is a lobbying group for timeshare developers. Diamond Resorts adds it to the bill each year and lists it as a "ARDA-ROC Voluntary Contribution". Most people don't notice that it's optional, and don't read the FAQ on the back that says "You may opt not to contribute without reprisal or otherwise affecting your membership.". I call them up each year and ask them to deduct the $7, and keep calling them back until I see that it has been deducted.

That’s not right. At least HGVC makes it so you can just click a box and you don’t pay it.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
That’s not right. At least HGVC makes it so you can just click a box and you don’t pay it.
Similar with Marriott and Vistana. I just deduct it from the total that I am paying and once the reduced amount is paid, the new balance shows $0. No need to fight to get the additional fee amount removed.