• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is the Difference Between Tequila and Mezcal?

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
What is the Difference Between Tequila and Mezcal?
By Emily Cappiello/ Food-News/ Chowhound/ chowhound.com

"All mezcal is tequila, but not all tequila is mezcal.

With Cinco de Mayo coming up, you may find yourself wondering, what is the difference between tequila and mezcal? They’re both made from agave, sure, but different species from different regions of Mexico—and the production process for each results in different flavors too. So pour a shot, sprinkle on some worm salt, and keep reading.

While tequila has been a bar mainstay for years (margarita, anyone?), as imbibers are beginning to look for different layers of flavor, tequila’s cousin, mezcal (also spelled mescal), has been finding a place on bar shelves. While both spirits are made from the agave plant, they are distinct in flavor, harvest location and manufacturing process.

“To make mezcal, you can use around 40 different types of agave. One of them is blue agave, which is the only agave used for the production of 100 percent tequila, so in theory all mezcal is tequila but not all tequila is mezcal,” says Ignacio “Nacho” Jimenez of New York, NY-based Ghost Donkey...."

tequila-vs-mezcal-what-is-the-difference-chowhound.png

Richard

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Raicilla.

When in Puerto Vallarta, take the bus past the botanical gardens to El Tuito, one of he raicilla production centers.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
And to be Tequila, it MUST be produced in the state of Jalisco. The same product produced elsewhere is only Blue Agave.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
And to be Tequila, it MUST be produced in the state of Jalisco. The same product produced elsewhere is only Blue Agave.
Nope. Mexican law does allow production in some areas beside Jalisco. From Wikipedia:

Mexican laws state that tequila can only be produced in the state of Jalisco and limited municipalities in the states of Guanajuato, Michoacán, Nayarit, and Tamaulipas.[4] Tequila is recognized as a Mexican designation of origin product in more than 40 countries.[5] It is protected through NAFTA in Canada and the United States,[6] through bilateral agreements with individual countries such as Japan and Israel,[6] and has been a protected designation of origin product in the constituent countries of the European Union since 1997

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
On our trip to Bacalar last year I had some delicious home grown Mezcal. It’s served neat with orange slices and cinnamon. Very smoky. I ordered two I think.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
If it's tequila, use a lime wedge. If it's mezcal, use an orange wedge. That's what the locals taught us at La Negrita in Merida.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Months ago when I was buying tequila in the liquor store a guy started telling me my tequila (Quervo) was not REAL tequila and started to educate me about it. Ok. I shook my head a lot But all I wanted was to make a margarita.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Jose Quervo is not a friend of mine

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had some Mezcal in Zihuatanejo last year - very high end pricey stuff and it was amazing! Even my hubby (who hates tequila) thought we should take home a bottle - until we found out the price.......

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Is there a research group looking for volunteers? :wave:

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bought a bottle of Mezcal last Christmas and opened it up for company recently.... Wow!!! The smoked taste was over the top. Best described as smoked meat, sitting in bucket of smoke, after smoking a cigar that just smoked a cigarette! I really wanted to like it, but couldn’t!
24c559a1a94ae4ff8ea6faa142736737.jpg

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
If it a high quality Tequila drink it straight like a good Whiskey or maybe over ice. Sip it do not shoot it.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
If it a high quality Tequila drink it straight like a good Whiskey or maybe over ice. Sip it do not shoot it.

I do agree...chilled...nothing else. My favorites, El Tesoro Paradiso but kind of pricey, Patron Silver (green band) a little less pricey, and the best bang for the buck Hornitos Repasado.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
I do agree...chilled...nothing else. My favorites, El Tesoro Paradiso but kind of pricey, Patron Silver (green band) a little less pricey, and the best bang for the buck Hornitos Repasado.

Our favorite is Clase Azul in the white and blue porcelain bottle.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)