• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Is the Best Way to Purchase DC Points?

skalmadi

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
marriott
What is the best way to buy Marriott Destination ownership ? Buy points on the resale property or buy an individual property ? Where is the best place to look for sales and how much should I expect to pay for about 4000 points ?

are there any good review articles on this to read ?

[Moderator Note: Post moved from ROFR thread.] <-- SueDonJ

Last edited by a moderator:

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can not get points from buying a resale property. Resale points people try for $2-3/point which works out to $4-6 after junk fees.
Make sure you under stand the levels with points. At 4000 you are limited to booking less than 7 days at the 10 month mark which can be an issue. And the the only jump from owner level is 13 month for 7 days vs 12, and most feel the value of full week is not that great on points. If you want more points you can talk to Marriott about a hybrid purchase direct which would be a week and points. Goal is to get close to $7 or less a point and have maintenance fee which is less than the point only maintenance fee.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to buy Marriott Destination ownership ? Buy points on the resale property or buy an individual property ? Where is the best place to look for sales and how much should I expect to pay for about 4000 points ?

You seem to be at the same position you were in as you were two years ago when you first signed up on TUG.

Destination Club Points are good at any of their properties (subject to availability). Some locations and seasons need a lot of points for occupancy, while fewer points are needed during off seasons.

If you are looking for individual properties then the cheaper way of getting into the Marriott system is to buy a resale week. Granted you can't get Destination Points from it, nor does it have the flexibility, but it will save you a whole LOT of money. And, you can trade with it via Interval International.

Eleven years ago Destination Points didn't even exist so there are many week owners still out there in Marriott land. Most of us here on the Marriott Forum have either weeks or points, or a combination of both.

Your best bet is to study up and determine what best fits your needs and your pocketbook. Ask any questions. And, if you do buy a resale week then the general opinion is to buy where you would like to go to (it will take the exchange issue out of the equation).

Best of luck!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

The best way to buy points partly depends on how many points you need. Whether points is the best option is something to decide prior to how many.

skalmadi

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
marriott
Thanks for all the replies. i was planning on buying 2 years ago directly from them, and then with covid held off.

1. I usually dont like to stay at same venue, thus dont want to buy in 1 location and thought would be better to buy points.
2. Thinking of buying 3 thousand points, then buy points as needed yearly from the exchange market since i am already a member. Usually take 4 weekly vacations per year ( pre covid).
3. Almost never book a vacation till the last minute due to work constraints. Most vacations I have booked are 4-6 weeks before. Are the reservations hard to get at the 4-6 week time point ?
4. Have 2 children who travel with us mostly so think this would be a good option, to have a destination condo or 2 bedroom studio.
5. I am seeing offers about $ 3 per point in the secondary market (plus the $ 3/point transfer fee). Does marriott usually allow sales at this price point ? Is it easier to get approval from them for a smaller points sale or larger points sale ?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Thanks for all the replies. i was planning on buying 2 years ago directly from them, and then with covid held off.

1. I usually dont like to stay at same venue, thus dont want to buy in 1 location and thought would be better to buy points.
2. Thinking of buying 3 thousand points, then buy points as needed yearly from the exchange market since i am already a member. Usually take 4 weekly vacations per year ( pre covid).
3. Almost never book a vacation till the last minute due to work constraints. Most vacations I have booked are 4-6 weeks before. Are the reservations hard to get at the 4-6 week time point ?
4. Have 2 children who travel with us mostly so think this would be a good option, to have a destination condo or 2 bedroom studio.
5. I am seeing offers about $ 3 per point in the secondary market (plus the $ 3/point transfer fee). Does marriott usually allow sales at this price point ? Is it easier to get approval from them for a smaller points sale or larger points sale ?
#3 suggests timesharing is not likely to work well for you.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

With what you've described then your best bet may be to buy 6 beneficial interests (1,500 points) and then rent any additional points you need every time you find that you actually need them......

And, as the previous poster mentioned, Timesharing may not work well for you in the long run due to your last minute travel issues......

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
You can not get points from buying a resale property. Resale points people try for $2-3/point which works out to $4-6 after junk fees.
Make sure you under stand the levels with points. At 4000 you are limited to booking less than 7 days at the 10 month mark which can be an issue. And the the only jump from owner level is 13 month for 7 days vs 12, and most feel the value of full week is not that great on points. If you want more points you can talk to Marriott about a hybrid purchase direct which would be a week and points. Goal is to get close to $7 or less a point and have maintenance fee which is less than the point only maintenance fee.
RE: "Junk Fees"(rthib, I'm not singling you out...)

I've been thinking about this for awhile, and maybe the last straw has been added. Anyway, I know that "junk fees" is a bit of a term of art among well versed Marriott Tuggers. That being said, I propose we not use this term when new or inexperienced people ask about DC points.

My thought is that the term is (properly) pejorative, but may lead potential points purchasers to think that the resale route is somehow illegitimate. I've seen many posters either show confusion over the phrase or concern about a resale purchase. Very few if any new purchasers that don't understand the DC system will even know what a
"junk fee" is, which just leads to more questions about "What are 'junk fees'?" Or, "Will I have full use?" etc., etc.

Either way potential buyers may come to the conclusion that resale purchases are junk, when WE all know they are afforded all rights of developer points. So I propose that we pick a new term, and consistently use it with newbie questions. How about "resale club initiation fees" or whatever Marriott calls the fees.

Ok, ok, let the joke proposed terms commence.

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1

I really think your best option is to rent from owners directly and not purchase. #3 will make timeshares/points not work for you and you will be frustrated. There is nothing wrong with renting from other owners. I own and have rented from other owners. In fact some of the views I have gotten from owners than own many weeks is probably better than the views I would get on my own through trading or using points. 4-6 weeks out will not get you where you want to go if your a deeded owner or you purchase points. You will be settling for whats available.

Reactions: jme