• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Is The Best Trading Unit?

toddvb20

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you were going to buy a timeshare that you solely plan on using for trading, what would you buy.? Whether it be Marriott, VSE or whatever resort system. Trading into RCI or II. What is the unit that is the most powerful trader. I recently bought a SDO 2BDR 1-52 and am very happy with what I am able able to see on II and made a pretty good trade already. I'm not looking for validation of my purchase but just interested in your opinions. Thanks!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
If you were going to buy a timeshare that you solely plan on using for trading, what would you buy.? Whether it be Marriott, VSE or whatever resort system. Trading into RCI or II. What is the unit that is the most powerful trader. I recently bought a SDO 2BDR 1-52 and am very happy with what I am able able to see on II and made a pretty good trade already. I'm not looking for validation of my purchase but just interested in your opinions. Thanks!
So to give you validation that you don’t need, everyone says SDO is a mighty trader. Since you already have an II trader, maybe you should look into the mandatory deeds that come with star options. I don’t see a real need for an MVC trader since you can see good inventory with SDO. Ask yourself which system you want better access to. It’s you want mostly MVC resorts then buy an MVC trader. If you’re looking for another system all together look into HGVC. then you’ll have access to RCI and all of those resorts giving you the best of both worlds. Although, most feel Interval has superior resorts to exchange into.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
to add to @CPNY 's comment: with my Vistana weeks I see 90%+ of all the Marriott Sightings and those that I do not see are rather random and not necessary weeks I was dying to get.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the RCI Points side, to my knowledge, the best MF/point are:

1) Regal Vistas in Massanutten, 4 bdr lockoff 178,000 points for $1030 annual fees or $0.00578/ point. The RCI points are rather rare at this resort but they can be found, I am in the process of acquiring one. I do not have an RCI points account yet but my understanding is that 178k points can go a long way

2) Woodstone at Massanutten 4 bdr lockoff 137,000 for $899 per year or $0.066/point

3) Grandview Las Vegas 2 bdr lockoff, 122,000 points for $840 per year or $0.00688/ point, approx 20% more expensive per point than Regal Vistas but still a wonderful deal

I preferred and contracted Regal Vistas not only for the number of points/MF ratio but also because it is (according to others, I have never visited it) the nicest resort in Massanutten and it seems to rent above the MF for the peak weeks, an option I would like to have if I do not need the points every year.

I used to have an HGVC RCI account and, although I never exchanged in RCI, I matched several times: Disney Saratoga Springs 1 bdr (probably 20 times!), Grand Waikikian by Hilton Grand Vacations Club 2 bdr January, Pestana Villamoura Portugal summer weeks 3 or 4 times, Playa Linda Beach Resort Aruba, Costa Linda Beach resort Aruba etc.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

One size doesn’t fit all ;)

The answer will depend on:
  1. Where you want to go? Does any particular system offer more of the places you want to go?
  2. What unit size do you need (# of occupants)? Will a studio or one bedroom work for you?
  3. How flexible are your travel dates? Can you travel anytime of the year?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
There is a Woodstone at Massanutten eBay auction ending today with 137K points. It seems the GV Las Vegas auction has much more traction and that’s an EOY unit. The Massanutten resorts are the more desirable and harder to come by. Many “watching” the woodstone. I think that will go for a steal and well below it’s true worth. That should be worth at least 3K buy in but I’m sure will go much less.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Where would you want to trade? When do you like to go? What level of accomodations to you want? What size do you need? How much do you want to spend up front and in mfs? Even though you will only be using for trading, is there a place if you owned you can see going to more often?

It is not alway necessary buying in a resort system to get the best trades. There are independent resorts that are great traders. If the resorts that you want to trade into are in a particular system then it is best to buy into that system.

toddvb20

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all! I guess it's one of those, it all depends thing.

Is there a chart that shows what resorts trade best in RCI and what resorts trade best in II?

Thanks again!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

Is there a chart that shows what resorts trade best in RCI and what resorts trade best in II?

Thanks again!
Look for an RCI points contract not a weeks contract that trades in TPU.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If all you want to do is trade, just use cash. Every place accepts it, there are no additional expenses, and you don't need an exit plan to get rid of it when you're done.

Don't buy a TS to exchange! Buy it because you love it or it's location and you want to use it at least half to 2/3 of the time.

Jim

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks again!

II has priority for both Marriott and Vistana. Resorts that use Points like Hyatt and Worldmark are very strong traders and can typically see everything that is available for instant trades. I own Hyatt, and I see everything that is posted in sightings unless it is during preference period for Marriott or Vistana. My brother in law owns Worldmark, and sees the same. However, I will say that my Hyatt does seem to do a better job of pulling resorts for ongoing searches, but don't have much evidence to back that up.

With HGVC you get access to RCI, and you trade in your HGVC poitns for exchanges in RCI. For example, a 2 bedroom in high season is 5000 points. HGVC is great because you get access to the internal HGVC system, and except for a few exceptions, unless you are exchanging into DVC, I'd probably stick with the HGVC network.

If you want a low cost option and just want access to RCI, I think RCI points are pretty compelling as long as you get something with a good MF to point ratio. Grandview 122,000 point contracts are very popular, and I'm working on getting a Massanutten contract that has 137,000 points. I think you could average 2 solid exchanges each year for a contract like that.

If you want to access Marriott resorts during peak travel seasons for the destinations, it's almost a necessity to purchase a solid Marriott Trader (like Grand Chateau), but you will need to work to make sure you always reserve a peak week in terms of TDI.

If you live out West, I think Worldmark is a great option since you can access both exchanges and there are several solid resorts within the Worldmark system.

Personally, I love Hyatt because I love the resorts. One big reason I love Hyatt is because I live in Colorado and I have 4 great resorts within driving distance, and I really like the locations they offer even if the locations are limited.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I love my Hyatt as well. The only issue I have is you can’t trade back into Hyatt however I have a great trade since I couldn’t use.

CaliSunshine

Reaction score
Question about RCI points:

I read here https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/rci-points-exchange-timeshare-faq.html that:

What one has to understand about RCI Points is that unless you use your points in your home resort, you are relying on being able to confirm an exchange into the resorts you request.

Does that mean that in order to use your points at a different resort someone needs to be making an exchange in the opposite direction? Or is it the case that "points are points"?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Question about RCI points:
Does that mean that in order to use your points at a different resort someone needs to be making an exchange in the opposite direction? Or is it the case that "points are points"?
Not necessarily. If you consider the 'points' to be the 'currency' with which you make reservations, based on availability, there are more time intervals available than the number of members vying for those available 'slots'. Now obviously the more popular times are going to book up more quickly than others- but it isn't dependent on deposits.