• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is the 1 bedroom Room suite like at Westin Kaanapali (not the north one)

Ryes

Reaction score
I've only seen rooms at the Marrriott Ocean Club, the Westin Desert Willow, the Marriott Desert Springs, and Marriott Ko'olina.

I noticed that the small 1 bedroom at the Westin Desert Willow really was small, and each of the Marriotts was really big (other than the Marriott Oceans Club which was small). I am about to buy a 2 bedroom at the Westin Kaanapali, where I expect to always use it as a 1 bedroom and rent out the studio side. I saw a video someone took but it was a really quick walk through and didn't give me a good idea on the size of the 1 bedroom at the Westin Kaanapali. Has someone been in a few of these who can give me a comparison? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Keep in mind that at WKORV(S) the 1Bd WKORV has the 2nd highest MF per SO (with OFD having the worst).

They are very nice - especially the ones on 5-6 floors closest to ocean) - best to reserve exactly at 12 months.

For the additional MFs increase- the 2Bd LO offers more SOs for the cost (less MF per SO).

The WKORV S/N OV/IV studios are not easy rentals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryes

Reaction score
Hey Davidnrobin, when u say oceanview and island view are hard to rent out as studios, is it hard to rent them out as a one bedroom? As I guess i could use the studio side and rent out the 1 bedroom instead. It’s likely an island view

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Unfortunately, neither side of the Island view units has strong rental demand, because in the south phase, Island View = parking lot view or back of Bldg. view. (See the light blue area on the map below.)

I would certainly not buy an Island View deed. It's not a good value when you consider that the ocean front, ocean view, and island view units all have the SAME maintenance fee. Save up and buy an ocean view - at least. And of course, buy resale and save a fortune. To be quite honest, I would not accept an IV deed at this resort even if it were free.

WKORV-S-View.Map.png

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Are the island views only in the building 4 marked by light bluish color? The chart says that island views are also in the areas otherwise marked as ocean view, but on first and second floors, correct? So there are some good island views at WKORV, right?

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Island views are only in building 4, as marked. Rooms in the red areas are all considered Ocean View, though you can't see the ocean from some of them.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
What I meant was that all studios
(except OF) are tough rentals - so be careful relying on a studio as a rental.

As mentioned, stay away from IV WKORV resale altogether (especially IV Deluxe villas) - although there are some good IV villas.

If you reserve exactly at 12 months (Home Resort) or 8 months (SO exchange) the likelihood of getting a bad location (PL view) is very low.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Island views are only in building 4, as marked. Rooms in the red areas are all considered Ocean View, though you can't see the ocean from some of them.

Uh?

views.png

Ryes

Reaction score
Oh wow that’s so much you guys! U saved me from making a big mistake. I’ll look for an oceanview room. It’ll cost $1250 in closing costs.

wtrjock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali South
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
We own the ocean view 1br premium not lockoff at Ka'anapali South even years. We haven't stayed in the room, but I have heard they are nice. We mostly rent or exchange the options. [Deleted: buying/selling/renting are not permitted in the discussion forums.]
c104d049b979cd322274abdaf542d978.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't know the first floors were not considered ocean view. When I bought (pre construction), the only options were ocean view or ocean front.

Ryes

Reaction score
Would I be better off getting an oceanfront in the North buildings instead of oceanview in the south. Although I think the maintenance fees are like $200 more or something in North. Also is my understanding correct that the north and south are on the same grounds (my brother owns in south so i want to be close)

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
OF North $20-$25k
OV South $12-$15k

Ryes

Reaction score
thx. ok scrap that option lol! To be honest, the westin flex would have been a good product for me if it weren't for the high upfront cost as I think the maintenance might be lower than westin kaanapali maintenance so it seems to have no downside other than the initial cost. EDIT: wait I think the maintenance of flex is higher. I read the other thread someone posted which mentioned a low sounding maintenance fee, but I just realized the number of points he had was tiny

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
thx. ok scrap that option lol! To be honest, the westin flex would have been a good product for me if it weren't for the high upfront cost as I think the maintenance might be lower than westin kaanapali maintenance as it seems to have no downside other than the initial cost.

Flex is VSN Voluntary - so Options fo not transfer upon resale - therefore will have low value upon resale. WKORV/N is Mandatory (Options transfer upon resale). This is why WKORV/N has resale value.
This is a huge downside.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
WKORV-N has a significantly higher maintenance fee. WKORV-S is a better value.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
56B5258D-7849-4EAE-88F5-E5D9D633EE7D.jpeg

Here are the OV and IV villas for Building 4.
There are no IV Villas in Buildings 2 or 3.

Attachments

• 065270D6-23B5-4343-9B10-F5509363B75B.jpeg
    065270D6-23B5-4343-9B10-F5509363B75B.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I've only seen rooms at the Marrriott Ocean Club, the Westin Desert Willow, the Marriott Desert Springs, and Marriott Ko'olina.

I noticed that the small 1 bedroom at the Westin Desert Willow really was small, and each of the Marriotts was really big (other than the Marriott Oceans Club which was small). I am about to buy a 2 bedroom at the Westin Kaanapali, where I expect to always use it as a 1 bedroom and rent out the studio side. I saw a video someone took but it was a really quick walk through and didn't give me a good idea on the size of the 1 bedroom at the Westin Kaanapali. Has someone been in a few of these who can give me a comparison? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
I just left this past weekend. Here are some pics.

eb00736819991868a25e6eaca62f8c98.jpg
03216b141e8106fc63880f30417d917a.jpg
b22f8afeba0d7114adf6286b078315f4.jpg
d222f52f393bcdd21db545677d8bad9f.jpg
60d84794ade7f1891b193073cd26de3b.jpg
4c9a71311b1f285bc086dfc25a3254ff.jpg

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We own the ocean view 1br premium not lockoff at Ka'anapali South even years. We haven't stayed in the room, but I have heard they are nice. We mostly rent or exchange the options. [Deleted: buying/selling/renting are not permitted in the discussion forums.]
c104d049b979cd322274abdaf542d978.jpg

The MFs are high (per SO) for the standalone 1Bd villas that only have 81K SO associated with them.
For comparison - WKV 1Bd (Plat+, Large) have the same 81K SO for only $930.
This is not a good SO exchanger - better to use or rent. IMO

See post #19 - the relative valuations (directly related to MFs) are shown for the 1Bd, the 2Bd LO Premium, and the 2Bd LO Deluxe.
The 2Bd villas get 148.1K SO
The 1Bd get 81K SO.

Last edited:

Ryes

Reaction score
when you are buying a 2 bedroom, how do u know if its a premium or deluxe if they don't specify?
The premium has a higher MF and is larger I believe right, so does that mean I should look for a deluxe?

wtrjock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali South
I totally agree with your assessment. Unfortunately we bought ours from the developer before we found Tug. We got a much better deal on our 2 SVV weeks! ;) We will lose so much money on the WKORV week, if we sale, that I keep it as a renter. I usually make the MF for the rent.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
when you are buying a 2 bedroom, how do u know if its a premium or deluxe if they don't specify?
The premium has a higher MF and is larger I believe right, so does that mean I should look for a deluxe?

No - you should buy the Premium 2Bd LO. The MFs for the Deluxe 2Bd LO are too high.
(note: we own the Deluxe, but it is OF - an entirely different beast)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I used to think the 1Bd side was a good buy because I didn’t want the studio side, but in looking at the MFs and the number of associated SOs - the 2Bd Premium LO is best deal. Actually the OFC is the best deal - especially with the increase in SOs, but comes with a hefty upfront cost.

As the valuations are relative -
Assuming the MF cost for the 2Bd Prem LO is $2500 (approx. for descriptive purposes only).
That puts the MF for the 1Bd at $2109, and the Deluxe at $3445 (!!!).

In terms of MF/SO for the non-OF Villas:
The 1Bd is 26.0c per SO for 81K SO
The 2Bd Prem is 16.9c per SO for 148.1K SO
The 2Bd Dlx is 23.3c per SO for 148.1K SO

This shows how the 1Bd standalone value is poor.

Last edited: