• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Is Cryptocurrency, and How Does It Work?

Brett

Reaction score
What Is Cryptocurrency, and How Does It Work?
We answer some commonly asked questions about this hot, but little understood, asset

https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-is-cryptocurrency-how-does-it-work-11638386626

“Cryptocurrency” is a name given to a broad group of digital assets that started in 2009 with bitcoin. There are thousands, but only a dozen or so have any appreciable size and potential future.
There is a lot of hype around bitcoin. Some people claim it will become the world’s reserve currency. Some fashion it as the new gold. Some people simply think it will keep rising in value and make anybody who holds it rich. Some people think it’s a fad or Ponzi scheme.
Setting aside for a moment bitcoin’s fundamental value or use case, the primary reason it matters is this: Bitcoin allows any two people, anywhere in the world with an internet connection, to make a transfer of value in a few minutes without any middleman. With bitcoin, you could send $1 million to somebody, pay a small transaction fee, and have the exchange settled in 10 minutes or less. No banks, no foreign exchange.

How does cryptocurrency work?

The basic idea is that cryptocurrencies operate on software networks, where myriad computers run separate copies of the same program. The computers are linked, but no one computer controls the network. In bitcoin parlance, it’s a “decentralized” network.
These computer networks have two main functions: One is to process transactions, the other is to maintain the database that records and stores those transactions. In general, transactions are batched into “blocks,” which are then connected in chronological order in a long, unbroken “chain.” This is why the software became called “blockchain.”

Who controls the computers?
Anybody can download and run these software programs; they are “open source” programs. The database where transactions are recorded, usually called the ledger, is therefore visible publicly to anybody

This ensures that nobody on the network is counterfeiting the currency or double-spending the same bitcoins. The transaction history is collectively agreed upon by every computer, so it can’t be later changed. Transactions are permanent.

How did this all start?

On Oct. 31, 2008, somebody using the pseudonym Satoshi Nakamoto released a nine-page paper describing a new system of “electronic cash” called bitcoin.
What bitcoin promised was an alternative to the existing financial system, and it struck a nerve with a lot of people in the wake of the global financial crisis. “Bitcoin” became as much a social movement as a piece of technology. That’s one reason it has such a passionate following; crypto’s adherents believe they are willing a financial revolution into existence. Moreover, because bitcoin was released as open-source software, anybody can take the code and create their own version of it. They

How do I buy one?

Originally, the idea behind bitcoin was that you downloaded the software itself and ran your own version of it, “mining” new bitcoins yourself. You were your own banker, a “self-sovereign.”
In practice, however, that’s too unwieldy—and expensive—for most people. The most common way to buy bitcoin now is through a crypto exchange like Coinbase or Gemini, or a mobile broker like Robinhood, PayPal or WeBull. If you have a financial adviser, he or she might buy it directly for you, or put you into one of the new bitcoin exchange-traded funds. In the U.S. at least, these ETFs are based on bitcoin futures, not bitcoin itself. There are some bitcoin ETFs that trade outside the U.S.

What should I be on guard against?

A lot. Because crypto is such a new area, and has largely been unregulated or only lightly regulated, cons and frauds are rife. The Federal Trade Commission warns investors to steer clear of any opportunities that promise you can earn lots of money in a short time, or that ask you to recruit other investors, that offer guaranteed money or free money, or that make exorbitant claims short on details.
In general, it’s best to steer clear of any investment offer via social media, especially if it comes to you. I regularly get emails from readers who don’t heed this warning and got scammed. And do your research on any investment manager or offer. If you can’t learn

How do I make money?

Buying bitcoin is not like buying a stock or bond. When you hold bitcoin, you don’t own a piece of a company. You make money with bitcoin in one way: by selling it to somebody else for more than you bought it for.
There is one burgeoning part of the crypto market called “defi,” short for decentralized finance. These are banklike services that allow you to lend out or borrow against your crypto holdings. If you lend, you can earn interest that typically ranges from 5% to 20%. If you borrow, you can take the borrowed crypto and invest it elsewhere in the market, again hoping to sell it However, defi is a new field, with virtually no business standards. Almost once a week, there’s a loss of funds. Very often, some malicious coder finds a flaw in a defi program and drains accounts. Sometimes, bad software crashes and erases transaction histories. Sometimes, the platforms were set up just to steal money (a “rug pull”). The research firm Elliptic estimates that about $10 billion has been lost in 2021 on defi platforms. This is a buyer-beware environment.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Description. I'm far from knowledgeable. My take is that Bitcoin is risky. It depends too much on belief alone. I think Ethereum and Cardona (maybe Solana too) have more intrinsic value as they provide the infrastructure for a lot of other transaction based activities like PaxGold, which I own. But what do I know.? Most of this stuff is pretty much way outside my wheelhouse....

George

Last edited:

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
A few points. Bitcoin has a finite amount that can be mined. Some other cryptos can be mined ad Infinitum. Therefore, it has a limited supply and the more it is used, the value will increase (in theory). A very small piece of bitcoin currently equals one dollar. Currently, 1 Bitcoin is $48,339.90, so 1 dollar is .0.000021 Bitcoins. You can drag the decimal places out further.

El Salvador has made it legal tender, which is a first, but since there is still **a lot** of volatility in the price, that is a bit risky.

It makes international transactions simple, as there is no foreign exchange - it is what it is.

There is a cost to transactions, since an equation needs to be computed to validate and transfer the bitcoin. Obviously, credit card companies also charge for transactions as well, but Bitcoin is not completely free either.

Because of the complexity of the equations to create Bitcoin, people have become aware of the climate change potential of the amount of computing needed and heat produced and energy required. One reason China is cracking down on the mining is the energy cost, (as well as the fact that transactions can occur outside of state control)

Bitcoin is both a store of value and a transaction method. Governments do not like it as it takes their control out of the equations, for both storing value as well as transactions.

Being reasonably new and "disruptive", law makers are having trouble grasping how to handle it. However, it's existence is like Pandora's box, once opened, cannot be shut again. Think how the music business freaked out over mp3s and downloading. Trying to outlaw it, ban it, ignore it, insist it wasn't any good, etc, and here we are with streaming and digital music\video bigger than any other form. Crypto is here to stay, it may move away from Bitcoin, (think myspace), but I doubt it.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone do 'Bitcoin for Dummies'?
After a lifetime of working in finance, I put my head in the sand on this one, figuring I had no use for it. Now, it and the other have my head spinning and I really have no idea of the concept.

Is it a tool for doing something?
Or purely a speculative form of investment?
Would I ever NEED to know?

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
How liquid is Bitcoin? At over $50K per "coin" I guess...if I had one coin could I sell it today and have the $50K cash in a week?

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
bitcoin is a transaction that uses something called "block chain" - basically, a series of blocks of data that ties to each other in a unique and secure way. One block is basically a bitcoin. If you wanted to buy a new pair of shoes that are $15.81, and the store accepts bitcoin, you could transfer .000032705901 bitcoins to the store to buy them.

They come out of your "digital wallet" and into theirs. The "block chain" holds the results of this transaction, and since it is public, all other public databases are updated with the transaction.

If the store needs to pay it's rent, and the landlord only accepts zlotys or denarius or dollars, they need to sell the bitcoin to convert back to local currency.

If the value doubles overnight, they get a lot more money, if the value of bitcoin dropped like a rock, they are screwed.

If you think like it is "digital gold" which may fluctuate a lot in price, and you can't buy groceries with a gold coin, you need to sell the coin, buy the groceries. But if the store said, assign me .000175 parts of your gold coin, and when I buy my tomatoes,, i give the farmers .230083 gold coins made up of all the small transactions, you can see how it can work.

block chain handles all the transactions.

You can transfer in a few seconds in and out of your account. Like stocks, it is pretty instant on the sell\buy price, but takes a few days to actually "settle"

No one is going to let you buy $100,000 on a stolen credit card and transfer them back to cash in a few seconds. But small amounts are basically instant.

If anyone actually wants to get a coinbase account, let me know and I can get a referral. Coinbase is one of the largest exchanges. They are a publicly traded company. You can buy sell and store. Trezor is a secure wallet you can transfer purchases to. They are then "off line"

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Cryptocurrencies are systems that allow for secure payments online which are denominated in terms of virtual "tokens." Here's a link to some good info on what cryptocurrencies are along with several other articles on the various components of cryptocurrencies: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/cryptocurrency.asp

There are several different types of cryptocurrencies. The word cryptocurrency is a really a generic term that applies to many different use cases within the world of cryptocurrency. Older 1st gen/2nd gen cryptocurrencies are what is called Proof of Work or POW type cryptos - like Bitcoin and Ethereum today for example. Newer late 2nd/3rd generation cryptos are primarily Proof of Stake or POS. Whenever you hear a reference to mining - that applies primarily to POW cryptos, not POS cryptos. Ethereum is in the midst of a major conversion from POW to POS at present. There are then elements of certain cryptocurrency platforms that have code bases that support smart contracts - Ethereum was one of the first cryptos to bring smart contract solutions to market. Think of smart contracts as a digital structure that eliminates middle men from financial transactions via the blockchain tech. At it's core blockchain is really about the DeFi movement - more info here: https://www.investopedia.com/blockchain-4689765

The DeFi (Decentralized Finance) movement at scale is about modernizing the legacy banking infrastructure wholesale - replacing the current centralized banking ledger systems with a decentralized public domain ledger system - hence the term DeFi. This is potentially a sea change to the entire worldwide financial system. It is a "power back to the people" type movement. That said - crypto is still somewhat "wild wild west" right now in that many people, like @b2bailey for example, admittedly do not understand the world of crypto - and make no mistake it's a BIG world all built with nextgen technologies that most folks simply don't have any real grasp on.

As we all know - whenever a new complex system is being formed - there's room for manipulation and fraud - and we've all seen many articles of people losing their crypto-wallet passwords and therefore losing ALL of the money contained in their wallet. I bet most folks on here don't realize that BTC (Bitcoin) has roughly 3.7mm coins likely forever lost: https://decrypt.co/37171/lost-bitcoin-3-7-million-bitcoin-are-probably-gone-forever. That might not sound like much - but when we consider there's only 21mm BTC coins in the entire current blockchain - that means almost 20% of BTC is forever lost. There's also fraud out there - exchanges that have gone south and stolen cryptos from accounts that haven't offloaded their tokens into a private offline wallet. If you're wondering what the heck a private wallet even is - don't invest in crypto IMHO. :cool:

Smart contracts have the potential to change how we do financial transactions - but there's not a ton of uptake on smart contracts yet. Basically think in terms of any financial transaction that you do today that requires an intermediary or multiple intermediaries - an attorney, a real estate agent, an accountant, a car dealership purchase, etc. - where a "smart" contract can be formed that would essentially replace the intermediaries - and in the process - lessen the expense of the entire transaction. We keep hearing about automation replacing human workers - DeFI and smart contracts is a good example of this automation. Tokenization of assets - or creation of digital assets - is starting to occur nowadays. For example - there are smart contracts out there today on Ethereum that have tokenized real estate assets - that actually facilitate the entire real estate transaction process - and in the process eliminate/automate the intermediaries and save the buyer and seller significant transaction costs. If this type of emerging tech starts to become more mainstream - and more people start using cryptocurrencies for complex financial transactions - why would you want to use a centralized currency for these type of transactions? Why would you need the USD for such transactions? If you could then also use crypto to pay for goods and services in your day to day travels - same question - why use fiat currencies? This the the conversation ongoing in the halls of governments all around the world right now. This is also why places like China and soon to be India are banning cryptocurrencies - they are looking ahead and realizing the DeFi movement threatens centralized government control over fiat currencies - and therefore threatens QE financed government spending.

As someone else pointed out - one of the inherent challenges with current cryptocurrencies is their price volatility when compared to traditional currencies like the USD. Stablecoins are one possible solution to this problem and a step in the right direction - but it's early on yet. On some level, the younger generations that innately understand modern tech look at the rampant mismanagement of fiat currencies (US debt climbing like no tomorrow - global debt climbing much faster than global GDP) and they see the DeFI movement as the next generation of currencies that will make traditional currencies irrelevant over time - and put the power back into the hands of the people as opposed to centralized banking systems and government controlled fiat currencies. I suspect how we transact for goods and services will look very different in 15-20 years compared to today. We're basically looking at the deconstruction and reconstruction of how currencies function as a store of value and as a trade mechanism worldwide via cryptocurrencies - which are still in relative infancy - but are gaining in strength and capability every day. We certainly do list in interesting times.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many expert-type investors are looking to Etherium (ETC) as an investment alternative to Bitcoin (BTC).
[Not to be confused with joke products like Dogecoin and Shiba Inu.]

The easiest and safest way to buy and sell Etherium or Bitcoin, at a commission cost around 1.5%, is via a Coinbase account linked to your personal checking account. There are cheaper and sometimes quicker trading methods, but I'm sticking with Coinbase.
[The above is not an affiliate link--I have a link that saves you $10 on a first purchase and also pays me $10 but I don't think I should post it here.]

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ethereum was one of the first cryptos to bring smart contract solutions to market. Think of smart contracts as a digital structure that eliminates middle men from financial transactions via the blockchain tech. At it's core blockchain is really about the DeFi movement - more info here: https://www.investopedia.com/blockchain-4689765

The DeFi (Decentralized Finance) movement at scale is about modernizing the legacy banking infrastructure wholesale - replacing the current centralized banking ledger systems with a decentralized public domain ledger system - hence the term DeFi. This is potentially a sea change to the entire worldwide financial system.

Etherium's role in Decentralized Finance is why I say expert-type investors are looking to it as an investment alternative to Bitcoin.

Since TUGgers are travel-focused, I'll note the arch-enemy of DeFi is Jamie Dimon, CEO of JPMorgan-Chase. New York's regulatory opposition to DeFi is part of the reason hordes of expert-type crypto investors are leaving New York and moving to Florida.

Last edited:

vikingsholm

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I still believe that the cryptocurrencies are going to collapse one day, unless they somehow become an accepted world currency agreed upon by most of the powerful countries. The only thing giving them value today is artificial scarcity, hype, and enough people willing (for now) to believe they have this value (see Tulip mania, 1634 AD for an earlier example). With the price of a bitcoin going from a few dollars a decade or so ago to over $60,000 in recent times, something seems amiss to me.

Bitcoin and most cryptocurrencies are backed by no other resources of true value, for the most part, that I can discern. There may be some exceptions I'm not aware of, but I'm addressing this more generally.

Some will say that the US dollar is backed by nothing either, since it's no longer backed by any gold reserves.

Except that the dollar IS backed by something - and something very major - the agreement of the US populace and the world that it is a highly accepted medium of exchange. It is the main agreed upon way of recognizing and converting the value of the work that all of us choose to do in order to earn this medium of exchange, and then use this currency to acquire most other things of value to us.

In addition, the US dollar has the backing of the country's natural resources and military that we own and control, which gives it further credence and support. Cryptocurrency has none of that.

New US currency cannot be endlessly created either though, as a general and controlled relative scarcity reflects its exchange value. Extreme and endless creation of new currency (or really, digital dollars these days) will devalue its ability to purchase the same amount of goods or services at some point, so the process is overseen with that in mind. Whether the way we create and oversee the US currency is a good or the best way to do it is an entirely different debate though.

This is how I see it, anyway.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
What does everyone thing about NFTs? Someone I follow on YouTube seems to be obsessed with these and the "metaverse". I understand the general principle of NFTs, but it doesn't seem like there is a real way to monetize them into cash. You get crypto when you put something up and sell an NFT, but somehow turning that back into real cash seems like it might be a struggle.

Seems like something photographers, artists and musicians seem to be doing. I guess with the NFT, whoever owns it then has exclusive rights to it. Until of course someone right clicks on the photo and downloads it. When will the big house of cards come crumbling down?

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
What does everyone thing about NFTs? Someone I follow on YouTube seems to be obsessed with these and the "metaverse". I understand the general principle of NFTs, but it doesn't seem like there is a real way to monetize them into cash. You get crypto when you put something up and sell an NFT, but somehow turning that back into real cash seems like it might be a struggle.

Seems like something photographers, artists and musicians seem to be doing. I guess with the NFT, whoever owns it then has exclusive rights to it. Until of course someone right clicks on the photo and downloads it. When will the big house of cards come crumbling down?
I'm still questioning the value of NFT.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
There may be a market for NFT but I still think it hasn't matured and materialized.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you choose to go into krypto use money that you can afford to lose and you will be spending a lot of time managing and investing. You will go down many rapid holes and there are many scammers and crooks out there just be careful.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
You also need to get additional hardware devices it is to store the crypto in what's called wallets. There is no central place to manage or store your portfolio it's all over the place very frustrating. It's almost either a part time or full time job if you want to totally go all in which is something I personally would not involve advice

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to understand and learn it spend a few days watching the videos reading the material is all good stuff to learn. YouTube is probably the best place to get an education.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for the broken English here I am on my cell phone doing talk to text but I think you get the drift of what I'm saying.

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score

NFTs are a popular way to flaunt your wealth if you're young and nouveau-riche.
They take up no space and the good ones cost somewhere between your G-Wagon
iris (1).png

and your big boat
waterfront-hp-2 (1).jpg

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
You also need to get additional hardware devices it is to store the crypto in what's called wallets. There is no central place to manage or store your portfolio it's all over the place very frustrating. It's almost either a part time or full time job if you want to totally go all in which is something I personally would not involve advice

That depends on whether you want to use a software or a hardware wallet. I use a software wallet personally. Pick your poison - both have their pros and cons.