• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is best way to get to Maui from Oregon?

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
hoping to travel to Maui from Oregon In June. What’s the best/safest (to avoid cancellation) way to get there. Alaska airlines just cancelled all their flights to Maui for June. I’m afraid of another cancellation. Is it best to go via SFO and LAX thru honolulu?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Hawaii extended their quarantine through the end of June. How long are you planning on staying?

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
hoping to travel to Maui from Oregon In June. What’s the best/safest (to avoid cancellation) way to get there. Alaska airlines just cancelled all their flights to Maui for June. I’m afraid of another cancellation. Is it best to go via SFO and LAX thru honolulu?
Yes, given the 14 day quarantine requirement through June, your best bet would be to book via stopover in HNL. If carriers are going to cancel, they will likely cancel outer island direct flights first, then HNL last.

Of course, if there are multiple flights per day to HNL for a given carrier (doubtful direct out of PDX, but maybe), you may want to look at average loads to pick the more popular flight time in case they consolidate.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, given the 14 day quarantine requirement through June, your best bet would be to book via stopover in HNL. If carriers are going to cancel, they will likely cancel outer island direct flights first, then HNL last.

Of course, if there are multiple flights per day to HNL for a given carrier (doubtful direct out of PDX, but maybe), you may want to look at average loads to pick the more popular flight time in case they consolidate.

Ryan

How do you check average load information? I’m trying to find the highest probability of flights not being cancelled. I’m thinking fly to SFO or LAX, then from there to HNL, then to maui, is safest?

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) is It safer to take direct flights from LAX TO MAUI, on American & Delta, or
2) Safer flying into HNL, use Hawaiian from LAX to Honolulu and from there catch a flight to Maui?
3) if Hawaiian LAX-HNL-OGG is safer, is a 10am flight better than 6pm flight? 10am flight is double the cost of 6pm flight.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you check average load information? I’m trying to find the highest probability of flights not being cancelled. I’m thinking fly to SFO or LAX, then from there to HNL, then to maui, is safest?
Easiest way is to call carrier direct. I have had no issues on either AS, AA or UA in asking agent to tell me how full a particular flight is on a given day (within reason - e.g. asking for all 15 flights from LAX to SFO is not)

LAX would be my preferred choice cost being the same given that it is a bigger metro area though YMMV. Keep in mind, you would most likely be allowed to reroute for free if it is cancelled so I wouldn't pay a premium to fly through a particular airport.

I would also consider connecting through SEA or just driving there if you haven't considered it. One less leg for you to worry about cancellation if you drive

Ryan

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) is It safer to take direct flights from LAX TO MAUI, on American & Delta, or
2) Safer flying into HNL, use Hawaiian from LAX to Honolulu and from there catch a flight to Maui?
3) if Hawaiian LAX-HNL-OGG is safer, is a 10am flight better than 6pm flight? 10am flight is double the cost of 6pm flight.
1) As I said earlier, with quarantine through June, I would not choose direct to outer island unless you were comfortable on having it cancelled and rebooked as a 1 stop.
2) Carrier aside. I would book all flights on the same itinerary so that you can make changes without fee or refund if either leg gets cancelled or delayed. Codeshares are fine as long as they are booked under same reservation.
3) I'd ask agent on current load but most people I know would prefer to catch the 10am and have more time in HI than catch a 6PM flight and just arrive and go to bed.

Ryan

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo