• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is a WSJ 3-bedroom unit?

Kamehameha

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WPORV, SMV
I recently booked a 3-bedroom villa at WSJ. I am wondering if there is any way to know exactly what that means. To my knowledge, there are 2 very different 3-bedroom units there: the legacy pool villas and the newer, converted hotel ones. So here is where it gets weird (or I am missing something)...

The online booking tool shows 3 bedroom villas (sleeps 10) and 3 bedroom lockoff villas (sleeps 12). The villa floor plans on the other hand list the pool villa (sleeps 8) and the Bay Vista 3-bed (sleeps 10). Neither is a lockoff as far as I can see. Any thoughts?

I called SVO and the answer was I will get whatever is available, figured out at check in. I am hoping for a better answer...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Currently, three phases of WSJ each have 3Bd villa types.
VGV - 3Bd pool villa - sleeps 8
BV - 3 Bd villa - sleeps 10
CV - 3 Bd LO villa (2Bd w/ a studio - limited to 6) - sleeps 12 (8+4)

This topic came up previously - if you want 3Bd in BV then tell them there are 10 people in your party. I assume if you want 3Bd LO in CV then tell them there are 12 people in your party. But, be aware that these 3Bd CV villas are limited. Perhaps if you want 3Bd pool villa (tell them there are only 8 in your party, but that doesn't prevent them from putting you in any of the 3 types, but I would bet that BV is most common since there are more of these and they are mostly float (3Bd pool villas are fixed week/villa and mostly owned by Owners - although SVO-WSJ does own some)

SVN chart for CV states:
Three-bedroom lockoff villas are only available for reservation and may not be purchased as part of a VOI with Event Period Rights or Specific Week Rights. There are only six three-bedroom lockoff villas available for reservation.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Currently, three phases of WSJ each have 3Bd villa types.
VGV - 3Bd pool villa - sleeps 8
BV - 3 Bd villa - sleeps 10
CV - 3 Bd LO villa (2Bd w/ a studio - limited to 6) - sleeps 12 (8+4)

This topic came up previously - if you want 3Bd in BV then tell them there are 10 people in your party. I assume if you want 3Bd LO in CV then tell them there are 12 people in your party. But, be aware that these 3Bd CV villas are limited. Perhaps if you want 3Bd pool villa (tell them there are only 8 in your party, but that doesn't prevent them from putting you in any of the 3 types, but I would bet that BV is most common since there are more of these and they are mostly float (3Bd pool villas are fixed week/villa and mostly owned by Owners - although SVO-WSJ does own some)

SVN chart for CV states:
Three-bedroom lockoff villas are only available for reservation and may not be purchased as part of a VOI with Event Period Rights or Specific Week Rights. There are only six three-bedroom lockoff villas available for reservation.

Slight correction, all building 43 and most building 44 Pool Villas accommodate 10 people. The rest accommodate 8 people. However, like David mentioned, pool villas are fixed week/units and are usually occupied by their owners. :cool:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Slight correction, all building 43 and most building 44 Pool Villas accommodate 10 people. The rest accommodate 8 people. However, like David mentioned, pool villas are fixed week/units and are usually occupied by their owners. :cool:

Is that because there are 2 Queen beds in one of the bedrooms? Are these the ones with moving wall?
For 2 per Bd, and 2 on pullout makes 8. WSJ site officially lists 8 for pool villas. I have seen other WSJ villas with 2 Queens in rooms, and some with just King. While that can increase capacity - the WSJ reservation stance may hold.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is that because there are 2 Queen beds in one of the bedrooms? Are these the ones with moving wall?
For 2 per Bd, and 2 on pullout makes 8. WSJ site officially lists 8 for pool villas. I have seen other WSJ villas with 2 Queens in rooms, and some with just King. While that can increase capacity - the WSJ reservation stance may hold.

I hear you. It is confusing. But...My resie confirmation clearly lists 10 people.

The unit has 2 bedrooms upstairs with an actual wall dividing them. Each bedroom has a full bathroom. One bedroom has two doubles the other has one king. Downstairs you have a master bedroom with a king and master bathroom and a sofa with another half bathroom, plus kitchen, living room, and dining room. Does it sleep 10? YMMV. In my case, it sleeps two parents and 2 kids (one kid per upstairs bedroom). Outside, you get a hot tub, pool, pool deck, and grill. Total 4 beds and a sofa, 3.5 bathrooms, and hot tub, plus pool of course.

Eight people villas (as listed in SVN website - see link below) have what I call a large one bedroom with two beds, an accordeon wall, and a bathroom. Downstairs, one master bedroom, sofa, and 1.5 bathrooms. Outside you get the same as above but no hot tub. Total 3 beds and a sofa, 2.5 bathrooms, and no hot tub, plus pool of course.

So there you go, the secret is out...:cool:...not all pool villas are the same.

https://www.starwoodvacationnetwork.com/villa-collection/the-westin-st-john-resort-villas/villas/

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
2 doubles upstairs

Not my pic, found online...

Edited.

Sorry, could not figure out how to post via iPhone/safari browser.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps other fellow pool villa owners can expand my post. I have only stayed in a couple of the 10 people poll villas. OKWIATER is a pool villa owner.

I have never stayed in building 41 or 42 or villa 4415. Those 13 villas are rated for 8 people.

Other 4410 through 4414 and all 43XX are rated for 10 people.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
"Total 4 beds and a sofa"
I am confused...
With 2 beds being doubles (and 2 beds being kings and one sofa bed) - you have to put 2 people in each double bed to get to 10 people
4 beds x2 people per bed = 8
Plus 2 more people on sofa-bed = 10.

That is a tight fit on those double beds... 4 kids?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Total 4 beds and a sofa"
I am confused...
With 2 beds being doubles (and 2 beds being kings and one sofa bed) - you have to put 2 people in each double bed to get to 10 people
4 beds x2 people per bed = 8
Plus 2 more people on sofa-bed = 10.

I agree it would be a tight fit. My point was that the some villas have more beds than others and confirmations from Starwood clearly indicate 10 max occupancy. Would I ever try to fit 10 people? Prob not. I have only tried them with 2 adults and 2 kids. But, I have talked to other Pool Villa families who bring friends and they have done it.

If you think about it, many hotels allow 4 people in tight two double bed rooms without common area spaces. Starwood allows 4 people in all 1 bedroom units that have one bed and one sofa and they even allow a roll away bed in the large on bedroom.

So, I see no reason why they should not rate some of the pool villas for 10 people. You get an extra bed and one extra bathroom. YMMV.

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)

IIRC, the 10-person pool villas have 2 queen beds in the 2nd upstairs bedroom. moto x - are you sure they are doubles?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the 10-person pool villas have 2 queen beds in the 2nd upstairs bedroom. moto x - are you sure they are doubles?

Hmmm, I checked with DW, she recalls two queens but is not sure. I will call Starwood to confirm.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
moto - I wasn't denying that the 3Bd pool villa cannot hold 10 people - it is huge. I have stayed in both types. Just that the SVO-WSJ website states 8, and states different occupancy for others.
It does not surprise me that SVO-WSJ has it wrong, or information not complete.
The are other villas at WSJ that has 2 beds in one of the bedrooms. Glad mine does not, but I am sure others (w kids) are glad they do.
The OP was asking what 3Bd will they get for their exchange. The groups number and makeup can be important - some may want extra (smaller) beds - some not... (like us - we shared a Queen at WPORV studio and made us long for a King - 1st world problem...).
It would be good if the Traveler and WSJ could align these before showing up. Owners like us know exactly what to expect when we use our weeks - this is especially useful at a resort like WSJ (probably more than any other). That is an aspect of WSJ VGV ownership I like.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
moto - I wasn't denying that the 3Bd pool villa cannot hold 10 people - it is huge. I have stayed in both types. Just that the SVO-WSJ website states 8, and states different occupancy for others.
It does not surprise me that SVO-WSJ has it wrong, or information not complete.
The are other villas at WSJ that has 2 beds in one of the bedrooms. Glad mine does not, but I am others (w kids) are glad they do.
The OP was asking what 3Bd will they get for their exchange. The groups number and makeup can be important - some may want extra (smaller) beds - some not... (like us - we shared a Queen at WPORV studio and made us long for a King - 1st world problem...).
It would be good if the Traveler and WSJ could align these before showing up. Owners like us know exactly what to expect when we use our weeks - this is especially useful at a resort like WSJ (probably more than any other). That is an aspect of WSJ VGV ownership I like.

David - 100% agree with your statements about WSJ. I am researching the bed size in the upstairs bedroom that has two beds and will report back. Knowing what you are getting exactly at WSJ is huge. However, sometimes I wish the villa week floated since there are some years that I cannot go and have to rent.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Called Starwood to follow up on this. The agent called the resort and I was told the 2 beds in the bedroom upstairs are double...

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Called Starwood to follow up on this. The agent called the resort and I was told the 2 beds in the bedroom upstairs are double...

Good to know. Thanks for the follow up.