• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is a good price

Joan-OH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a FairShare Plus points on Ebay deeded to Seawatch Plantation, Myrtle Beach. Monthly maintainence is just under $40 a month.

SUMMARY OF WHAT YOU GET WITH THIS PURCHASE:

· 84,000 Points that began on July 1st, 2006 (expire on June 30th, 2007) available immediately

· 84,000 Points that renew on July 1st, 2007

· Free RCI Membership

· Banked Studio Red Week that doesn’t expire until June 30th, 2007.

I am self employed with flexible vacation time and my better half is retiring this year. We thought timeshare might be a great way to travel since we can do it short notice, have no problems vacationing off season and can take advantage of the 45 day or less specials. We thought we might start small without too much of an investment, see how it works out for us and then proceed. This seems to fit the ticket.

Closing costs will run about $500 including transfer fees, etc.

For those more experienced, what would be a good price on this? Auction ends today.

Thanks

Joan-OH

acesneights

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a FairShare Plus points on Ebay deeded to Seawatch Plantation, Myrtle Beach. Monthly maintainence is just under $40 a month.

SUMMARY OF WHAT YOU GET WITH THIS PURCHASE:

· 84,000 Points that began on July 1st, 2006 (expire on June 30th, 2007) available immediately

· 84,000 Points that renew on July 1st, 2007

· Free RCI Membership

· Banked Studio Red Week that doesn’t expire until June 30th, 2007.

I am self employed with flexible vacation time and my better half is retiring this year. We thought timeshare might be a great way to travel since we can do it short notice, have no problems vacationing off season and can take advantage of the 45 day or less specials. We thought we might start small without too much of an investment, see how it works out for us and then proceed. This seems to fit the ticket.

Closing costs will run about $500 including transfer fees, etc.

For those more experienced, what would be a good price on this? Auction ends today.

Thanks

Joan-OH

$480 MF is $5.71/K. Which is high. 84K won't get even a 1BR in High or Prime time. So this is a "points are points" purchase.

You could deposit the 84K 2006-2007 points with RCI for three 28K deposits which could get you 3 weeks on a bulk spacebank.

You don't really need a deposit for last minute EH specials.

Still around a $1000 would be fair.

But unless you want MB and unless you a going to buy more Seawatch Points to be able to get a summer week, there's nothing special here.

The June 30 RCI deposit isn't worth much at this late date.

ANY FSP resale will be equivalent.

Don't rush in.

Join the Yahoo! group.

Stan

Stan

Joan-OH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Stan for your reply. I guess depositing it @ 28K is what we had in mind to get the most for our buck. I guess I'm not understanding what the "bulk spacebank" entails. I was also interested in the RCI membership dues being included so that I can take advantage of the last minute accomodations and that is included in the $480/year.

I've been reading as much as I can here for a few weeks and when I think I "get" it, something else confuses me. I thought if I started with something small like this, I could learn the system. I will look over at the Yahoo groups, but I was under the impression you had to be an owner to join.

Again, I appreciate the response. Belonging to a few boards myself, I know how newbie questions can irritate members. I'll continue to read for now.

Joan-OH

acesneights

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Stan for your reply. I guess depositing it @ 28K is what we had in mind to get the most for our buck. I guess I'm not understanding what the "bulk spacebank" entails. I was also interested in the RCI membership dues being included so that I can take advantage of the last minute accomodations and that is included in the $480/year.

I've been reading as much as I can here for a few weeks and when I think I "get" it, something else confuses me. I thought if I started with something small like this, I could learn the system. I will look over at the Yahoo groups, but I was under the impression you had to be an owner to join.

Again, I appreciate the response. Belonging to a few boards myself, I know how newbie questions can irritate members. I'll continue to read for now.

Joan-OH

It's not a bad start. You could do much worse. But you shouldn't pay more than about 2 cents a point. So that's $1680, with closing costs of $500, that's $1180. Plus a bit more for the 2006-7 points IF you are getting them for "free"

This is the smallest possible purchase at Seawatch, a 1BR Quiet. So you are going to just use the points. However, you could buy another contract there and then you could get a unit in prime time.

Bulk spacebanks are 100's of weeks deposited at once that can be exchanged with a 28K deposit.

Here on TUG, timeshareforums and Yahoo are good sources.

Yahoo does not require ownership, about 20% are just looking.

Also, are you paying the MF for the points that expire in June, 2007?

The June Red Studio might be useful if you can get the owner to start a search for you.

Stan

Joan-OH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Stan

The MF for the 2006-2007 has been paid. Really, we had no inclination to go to this resort in particular. Just wanted the points to exchange and the space bank looks to be up our alley since we are flexible, partially retired. Auction is expiring here in a few minutes and is up to $610. I could probabably get it for under 2 cents, but there will be other good deals I'm sure.

I've applied to Yahoo groups and am just waiting to see if I got "in" :)

Joan-OH

acesneights

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seawatch isn't bad, because if you ever acquire another Seawatch, you have a reasonably valuable holding. You could sell both together to make a 1 or 2 BR Prime.

203K is a 2BR Prime and that would sell for more than the Quiet or Value contracts separately.

i.e. 84K might sell for 1 cent/pt, 203K for 2 or 3 cents a point.

People would rather buy the 203K as a single purchase, rather than assembling it.

Stan

Joan-OH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Went for $710. Must not have been too bad of a buy because the winning bids name seems strangely familiar - like a name that regularly posts here. :)

Will keep looking. We might even rent our first time out, but we have stayed in timeshares a few days here and there in the off season.

For future reference, what is the difference between Fairfield points and FairShare Plus points? Looks to me that FairShare is more flexible, but I don't really see any other differences.

Thanks for your assistance

Joan-OH

Joan-OH

TUG Member
Reaction score
We took the plunge

I have been watching and reading for about 6 weeks and today I got what I thought was a pretty good deal on Ebay. 126,000 Fairshare plus point at Fairfield Pagosa, Co. 1/2 of 2007 fees are paid, annual fees come to about $4.30 per $1000. Got for $820 + $495 title and transfer fees.

Did I do good? :)

Joan-OH

dvcbwv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV
DVC BLT
DVC GCV
DVC OKW
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC Bay Club
Wyndham Grand Desert
...but there's always room for one more.
I think you did really well. Although I am new to the forum, I am not new to timesharing. The price per point you paid (if this is an "every year) package, was great!!!

It was less than I paid, that's for sure, and I bought resale too, lol!

Tracy