• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What I learned about toilet bowl flappers today

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Two of our three toilets recently started running at odd times of the day and night for short periods and then would shut off. I remember our other toilet doing this last year and my husband replaced the flapper and fixed the problem. Today he replaced the flappers on the two noisy toilets and it fixed the problem.

As he was finishing the task, I proceeded to drop in new Clorox cleaning tablets in the tanks. He said there was a sticker inside the toilet tank saying not to use such products. That's when I went to Google to find out more.

I found this article that addresses the problem. After reading it I looked at the packaging for the new flappers and I'm happy to see that they are "chlorine resistant."

I did notice on the two replaced flappers, which were probably the original flappers on the toilets, that there was some obvious bubbling on the rim that was causing the leaking. It must have been from previous chlorine tablets. I'm glad the new flappers are chlorine resistant because I like using the cleaning tablets.

Just thought I'd pass on this information in case anyone else needs it.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ohhh. I thought I was going to learn something about the powder room habits of 1920s-era party girls. :D

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
yeah, the plumbers always tell me not to use any of those tablet things, so I don't.

-David

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
yeah, the plumbers always tell me not to use any of those tablet things, so I don't.

-David

Yea, but with the tablets you can go 3 to 4 weeks between cleanings! :) I hate cleaning toilets. Easier to buy a new $3.00 flapper every 3 or 4 yrs. :)

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Karen,
Why not have Rita and her crew come in every other week or so? She'll keep the whole house clean, and you'll never need to worry about the flapper again.

Fern

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
DW's using the stick-on one's which go in the bowl rather than the tank. Jury's still out though as to how good they are.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Installed Two -- 2 -- Fluid Master Toilet Fill Valves Today.

The flappers were OK, so I left those as is.

At my brother's house, 2 tank fill valves -- formerly called ballcocks but now called fill valves so as to avoid any hint or suggestion of vulgarity -- had gone bad. One would not shut off -- just kept on letting the water run down the overflow tube. The other leaked at the tank connection, no matter how much I tried tightening it.

Fortunately, Home Depot was loaded with plenty of Fluid Master 400A anti-siphon fill valves, so we picked up a couple of those & used'm to replace the old ones that had gone bad.

One of the defective fill valves was an old fashioned float-arm style ballcock. That was the 1 that leaked at the tank. The other was, of all things, a worn-out Fluid Master 400A. Or if it wasn't worn out, it still wouldn't shut off no matter what I tried. Replacing it with a new 1 didn't cost much & was quicker than messing around trying to get the old 1 to shut off. Besides, even if I had contrived some way to get the old 1 to shut off, I still would not have trusted it to keep shutting off reliably, so replacing it was best all round if only for peace of mind.

For all anybody would ever want to know about fixing toilets -- & then some -- check out Toiletology Dot Com.

Happy flapping.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
No Flapper On This Portable Model.

gottagobriefcaseroddmillerc2a92007v30340x293_1.jpg

-- hotlinked --

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.