• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What happens to this year's usage on Purchase Transaction?

SunsetMaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Hyatt Beach House
Disney Bay Lake
Disney Animal Kingdom
Disney Grand Floridian
I'm in the process of negotiations on a Hyatt week. If the seller has reservations booked for after closing, what happens to those bookings? Say it's a Week 30 that I'm closing on and we are closing in March, does the seller retain those reservations? Do the automatically become mine? Or is it a case-by-case basis pending further negotiations?

I can't use the actual deeded week for 2020 and who knows what I'll get able to get once it goes into LCUP so I'm not willing to reimburse 2020 MFs but I'm just wondering technically what happens to the booking? Is there a downside to letting the seller use the week if I'm the new owner?

Just not sure how to think through it. Thanks!

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
The booking would go to you. However it can be agreed upon that the original owner keep the reservation by having them added as a guest. Or they move this years points to II.

SunsetMaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Hyatt Beach House
Disney Bay Lake
Disney Animal Kingdom
Disney Grand Floridian
The booking would go to you. However it can be agreed upon that the original owner keep the reservation by having them added as a guest. Or they move this years points to II.
Ok thanks! So if it’s not otherwise agreed, it doesn’t default to the seller then.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
No. This happened w/ my recent purchase however I agreed to pay current fees so a reservation was made for my requested dates.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Or they move this years points to II.

I am not sure how moving points (EEE) to II will work before a transfer. I think at least "it depends".

I previously received some EEE points with a purchase - it was the only unit the previous owner had so I assume the EEE points had nowhere to stay since their II account was going away.

I am also in the process of tranferring a different unit to a new owner. I have EEE points associated with the unit I am transferring and my II account will stay - so I am curious if those EEE points will stay with me or move to the new owner. In theory once in II they stay there (if there is an account to stay in).

As far as the HRC reservations are concerned - I have read on TUG threads that they default to the new owner but that it can be put in the transfer instruction to Hyatt that they be kept. I have seen also on multiple threads where people are having problems with Hyatt not doing what was instructed. But in your case (SunsetMaven) if you agreed they stay with the owner then it sounds like you have nothing to lose.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure how moving points (EEE) to II will work before a transfer. I think at least "it depends".

I previously received some EEE points with a purchase - it was the only unit the previous owner had so I assume the EEE points had nowhere to stay since their II account was going away.

I am also in the process of tranferring a different unit to a new owner. I have EEE points associated with the unit I am transferring and my II account will stay - so I am curious if those EEE points will stay with me or move to the new owner. In theory once in II they stay there (if there is an account to stay in).

As far as the HRC reservations are concerned - as previously stated here I have read on TUG threads that they default to the new owner but that it can be put in the transfer instruction to Hyatt that they be kept. I have seen also on multiple threads where people are having problems with Hyatt not doing what was instructed. But in your case (SunsetMaven) if you agreed they stay with the owner then it sounds like you have nothing to lose.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
The EEE points stay in the associated account. My points were CUP so those transferred w/ the account. EEE points supposedly could be transferred according to other members however I never tried.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I have an update.

My EEE points are going to the new owner with the unit. My II reservation is staying with my II account.

I believe after talking to a Hyatt II rep that the difference is where the points actually are. Once I made a reservation in II the points were transferred from Hyatt to Interval. Conversely, the EEE points are still with Hyatt until used - do by default they go like any other bucket of points unless there are instructions to do otherwise (that are allowed).

ResaleExpert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House 2 diamond weeks
Hyatt Windward Pointe 2 diamond weeks
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch week 26
Hyatt Pinon Pointe Sold
Hyatt High Sierra Lodge Sold
Hyatt Coconut Cove Sold
Marriott Royal Palms 35 year
Sands of Kahana fractional (sold)
GTLINZ- essentially the reservation is kept by seller FOR INTERVAL not Hyatt; and all EEE and Hyatt points and Hyatt reservations transfer to buyer. This is relatively new as in my 750 Hyatt resales Hyatt USED TO allow reservations to be kept by seller; now they just transfer them SO it is critical to have this part in escrow so the guest certificate can be provided when a seller keeps a reservation. A seller without another Hyatt does NOT keep an Interval account after the reservations are used; but can use the reservation and any trades if they have E-Plus.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
i think we are in agreement - any points with Hyatt in any form (including a reservation) go to the buyer by default - there are possibilities to change that depending on what type of points they are. I have also read posts in this forum where those special instructions have not been carried out correctly by Hyatt.

But for INTERVAL I think you also have to take the interval account itself into consideration. In theory the seller keeps his Interval reservations because the points have been transferred from Hyatt to Interval. If the seller has at least one remaining contract this is simple because his interval account will stay active - and the seller keeps the ability to use or retrade via Eplus. If the seller does not have at least one more contract, then the interval account will not be renewed at the end of the year and will expire - but it should stay active until the end of the year since it has been paid for. So I would think the owner should put a GC on the reservation in his name if the travel will not be completed before the interval account expires (or even better before the closing). I do wonder though once the Interval account expires at the end of the year if any ability to change via Eplus would go away because the GC likely won't transfer. In some ways I think GCs are permanent and at odds with Eplus.

Last edited:

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
i think we are in agreement - any points with Hyatt in any form (including a reservation) go to the seller by default

No-no-no - they go to the buyer. See below

GTLINZ- essentially the reservation is kept by seller FOR INTERVAL not Hyatt; and all EEE and Hyatt points and Hyatt reservations transfer to buyer

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My brother is looking at buying a Hyatt Week. There are lots of EEE points that expire in pretty soon and it is doubtful that the transfer will be completed in time. The seller has zero interest in using those points, but is actually willing to help us book something so they don't go to waste.

If the seller books something within interval do those reservations get added to the Interval account? Or do they stay with the seller?

I am hoping that we could book something way out and purchase ePlus so that we could swap it to something else, but that may be a bit of a pipe dream.

I assume the seller would need to issue the guest certificate if they stay with the seller which makes it a bit of a hassle.

To salvage them, should I just find something that I want and have the seller book that with a guest certificate, with the understanding that I am up a creek if we can't use the reservation?