• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

what happens to rtu when it expires

coffeeman

Reaction score
looking at a mexico timeshare that ex. in 2027 what happens when it expires do u keep it and it just gets renewd, do u have to pay again at a reduced rate or do u just lose it

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
U Looz (Not That There's Anything Wrong With That.)

looking at a mexico timeshare that ex. in 2027 what happens when it expires do u keep it and it just gets renewd, do u have to pay again at a reduced rate or do u just lose it
When it's over, it's over.

That's not necessarily bad. That is, when the RTU ends, you're off the hook.

With deeded timeshares, by contrast, you're on the hook for paying those ongoing annual fees forever & ever, world without end, amen.

Nothing like a nice RTU timeshare for an easy, no-hassle exit stategy.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There are no perfect plans

Alan has it correct and if that was the whole story RTU might even be a great way to utilize timeshares. But, as always seem to occur in the timeshare world, things aren't done as you'd expect. Most (not all) RTU resorts/systems aren't run by the "owners" (actually long term lease holders with the obligation to pay the fees) but by the original developer. Guess what? They want to make money. So rather than hold down costs and run thing as the owners would prefer they are the lord and master of the operations. Fees are what they want them to be and the lease holders are obligated to pay. Plus they can control things like week/unit assignments, trades, etc. The "owners" have no say but have to pay the bills.

And when it all ends I have to think the temptation will be to have the resorts in perfect shape. Why not? The lease holders pay and, of course, will argue that they expect a nice place through that last year. But if it really is well maintained and upgraded then when that 30th year (or however long the RTU term is) they should have a near perfect resort to resell and at ZERO cost to them! Does anyone think the fees will be reduced as the end nears? They should be but I'll take any bet they won't.

And what about resale (if it's even allowed)? Is a week good for 12 more years worth what one worth 30 or 40 years was? Of course not. So a depressed market is driven even lower by the limited use inherent to a RTU.

Overall its far from perfect but then again neither is deeded ownership. With that there are questions about what will happen when an old resort is truly past it's useful life. How will it be shutdown - who will still want to buy in? What if fees go nuts or too many owners defualt? There is no perfect timeshare (or house or condo for that matter). RTU, deeded, lease to own - you pick what you think is best and hopefully get your value out

RTU is just another way to have rights to a week "in paradise" of your choosing.

Kenrabs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You'll find that with RTU ownerships the developer will try to upgrade you any chance they can. If you have a small unit they will try and get you to buy bigger. If they have gold, platinum, etc memberships they will try and upgrade you. When you upgrade they usually extend the lease to 30 years or what ever their benchmark is.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Like everything else in timeshares, there is no single answer or model. I owned a 20 yr RTU at Split Rock in the Poconos. I anticipated getting the hard sell to buy up as the expiration date neared. I never heard word one from them, to include no "thank you for your 20 years with us."

A couple of years before my last year of ownership, I had started shopping around to buy something on the resale market to replace the anticipated loss. That was when we bought the 3BR l/o at Kingsgate.

As an aside, about four years before the end of my 20 years on the RTU contract, they had a sizeable three year assessment to spruce up the place before turning the units back out for sale again. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy with how that turned out.