• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What happens if I don't pay "maintenance fees" on BlueGreens contract?

Troop4Christ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BlueGreens
Looking to get out of this Bluegreens contract that I've had since 2018.

Initially, it seemed to make some sense having it. We actually enjoyed it the first few years. We also don't have a loan for the contract, we paid for it outright.

But now the "maintenance fees" have doubled and I'm finding that I can stay at the SAME properties for a week for LESS than my maintenance fees. Rather annoyed by their lack of service as well while at their properties.

Anyway. Been reading a lot on here. I called BGs and they sent me a quote to get out, before my yearly fees were due this past July, and it was over $2500 or something to get out. Basically looks like they just want two years of "maintenance fees" plus some to get out.

Then I saw all the folks mentioning you could just ghost them and how they just let BGs just "foreclose" on their contracts.

My questions are these:

For those of y'all who did this, what was the hit in points to your credit?
Did you have a loan that was also foreclosed on or did you own the contract outright?
I'm not an expert in real-estate financing, but how can someone "foreclose" on something, that's not a loan? This bit is confusing to me. Are they saying that I agreed in perpetuity to pay the "maintenance fees" so they're "foreclosing" on the value of those? If so, how is that amount determined since the contract doesn't have an end date and the assumption was that those fees would be payed in perpetuity?

Anyway.. I have around an 800 credit score, so just wondering if it's worth it to just take the hit, and not be out the few thousand they want to exit.

Thanks!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
all depends on your situation.
foreclosure is the process of recovering a deed from an owner that is in default (ie hasnt paid).

sounds like you were offered an option to surrender without any penalty but it was too expensive, have you tried to give your ownership away? thats usually much cheaper!

Troop4Christ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BlueGreens
all depends on your situation.
foreclosure is the process of recovering a deed from an owner that is in default (ie hasnt paid).

sounds like you were offered an option to surrender without any penalty but it was too expensive, have you tried to give your ownership away? thats usually much cheaper!
Didn't know that was an option?

How would I find someone willing to take it? šŸ¤”

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You probably need to join a Bluegreen Facebook group and offer it up on there. Depending on what you own, it might have a little value. Do you own points? If so, the determining factor on value is the resort and week you have for the Priority User Period.

kestratford

Reaction score
Does a timeshare owner have any recourse if maintenance fees are raised to extremes. Briarwood Resort Falmouth was a timeshare resort for partial year; then Board and Manager managed to buy or foreclose on some owners and sold those units as condominiums. Now we are partial condo and timeshare. The Manager of the resort owns at least two condos. Last year maintenance fees for Timeshare owners went up $500; this year they are going up another $500. Probably 2026 ANOTHER $500. Condo owners' HOA fees went up a small amount. Owners were told if they dont want their timeshare and want to avoid foreclosure, the resort will buy their week for $1.00. Some of the condo sales are being held up in the Land Court, and we were told our resort's insurance cost went way up. Any help re the resort's status now?

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Op can try to sell on the Bluegreen site on Facebook. Even if he sells at a penny a point, wither a buyer is happy or Bluegreen used Rofr and takes the points and repays sellers closing costs.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Owners were told if they dont want their timeshare and want to avoid foreclosure, the resort will buy their week for $1.00.

this seems like a valid option for anyone who no longer wants to own?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Green Mountain Run at Boyne
Today, I was told at an owner review in Michigan that BG doesn't do anything with accounts in foreclosure. They eventually will take the points/deed back and resell it. Given in Michigan, BG sales must be licensed like a real estate agent, I have some faith that what they say is more true than untrue.

Star15

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Vacation Club
Looking to get out of this Bluegreens contract that I've had since 2018.

Initially, it seemed to make some sense having it. We actually enjoyed it the first few years. We also don't have a loan for the contract, we paid for it outright.

But now the "maintenance fees" have doubled and I'm finding that I can stay at the SAME properties for a week for LESS than my maintenance fees. Rather annoyed by their lack of service as well while at their properties.

Anyway. Been reading a lot on here. I called BGs and they sent me a quote to get out, before my yearly fees were due this past July, and it was over $2500 or something to get out. Basically looks like they just want two years of "maintenance fees" plus some to get out.

Then I saw all the folks mentioning you could just ghost them and how they just let BGs just "foreclose" on their contracts.

My questions are these:

For those of y'all who did this, what was the hit in points to your credit?
Did you have a loan that was also foreclosed on or did you own the contract outright?
I'm not an expert in real-estate financing, but how can someone "foreclose" on something, that's not a loan? This bit is confusing to me. Are they saying that I agreed in perpetuity to pay the "maintenance fees" so they're "foreclosing" on the value of those? If so, how is that amount determined since the contract doesn't have an end date and the assumption was that those fees would be payed in perpetuity?

Anyway.. I have around an 800 credit score, so just wondering if it's worth it to just take the hit, and not be out the few thousand they want to exit.

Thanks!
It doesn't appear that your questions were specifically addressed by owners that have stopped paying maintenance fees (property contract is fully paid) to get out of their Bluegreen ownership. This is also what I plan to do based on my research. As the fees go up every year, and there are better rental offers compared to paying maintenance fees, we are planning on to stop paying the annual fees when the time comes. I have read on other websites that there is NO hit on your credit and no calls from credit collection agencies. Even so, the unknown calls can easily be ignored. Bluegreen won't take any action as they can foreclose on the property and resell the units/points at a higher point value after a period of no payment of maintenance fees. Comments?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
It doesn't appear that your questions were specifically addressed by owners that have stopped paying maintenance fees (property contract is fully paid) to get out of their Bluegreen ownership. This is also what I plan to do based on my research. As the fees go up every year, and there are better rental offers compared to paying maintenance fees, we are planning on to stop paying the annual fees when the time comes. I have read on other websites that there is NO hit on your credit and no calls from credit collection agencies. Even so, the unknown calls can easily be ignored. Bluegreen won't take any action as they can foreclose on the property and resell the units/points at a higher point value after a period of no payment of maintenance fees. Comments?

Hilton Grand Vacations had bought Bluegreen Resorts. The plan, kind of in the works, but still a big maybe, includes a way for the members of both to use the others resorts. I doubt that it is Bluegreens problem if you stop paying at least until things are organized by Hilton.

For me, I would try to get rid of it even if it cost a bit. The last timeshare I gave away, not a Bluegreen, costed us the mf and closing costs. Probably $1500. You could use the exit program as well.

If you walk away please let us know what happens.

Bill

Troop4Christ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BlueGreens
@Star15 any idea what your timeline looks like? When are your fees due again? Mine aren't due until next summer... so I've got some time...