• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What happens if I cancel 4 wks out?

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas,
HGVC MAX, Worldmark, Wyndham CWA
If you used borrowed Club or Portfolio Points for the reservation, they will be returned to the original Reservation Window without penalty; however, any advance payment of estimated maintenance fees and taxes will not be refunded
I have a question on this section. I used borrowed points from my 2021 use year to make a reservation at Kaanapali for October 2020 which we just had to cancel because they have extended the quarantine period. I had to prepay the maintenance fee so I know they were classed as borrowed. When I cancelled (within 60 days), they have gone into RCUP. It seems to me based on the above, they should go back into CUP? The balance of my 2021 point not used are in CUP and my Owned week is week 20 In case that makes a difference.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that RCUP points expire on 12/31/21 provided those points were granted because the resort was not in operation due to Covid-19. Otherwise the termination date is governed by LCUP rules. You may need to call Hyatt to verify the applicable date.

BTW, another way to extend LCUP points is to reserve a unit at the end of the traditional LCUP period. That occupancy must be completed within 60 days. Therefore, LCUP points would last a total of 8 months provided the reservation would start 15 weeks before the 8 month expiration date.
Thanks. I will call tomorrow and check -- since I didn't own the points previously, I have no idea why they are in restriction.

Appreciate the help.

-ryan

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question on this section. I used borrowed points from my 2021 use year to make a reservation at Kaanapali for October 2020 which we just had to cancel because they have extended the quarantine period. I had to prepay the maintenance fee so I know they were classed as borrowed. When I cancelled (within 60 days), they have gone into RCUP. It seems to me based on the above, they should go back into CUP? The balance of my 2021 point not used are in CUP and my Owned week is week 20 In case that makes a difference.
If you cancel within 60 days, they are restricted -- under normal or COVID policy.

-ryan

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that RCUP points have their own schedule for expiration. That's much longer than LCUP points which only last 6 months

RCUP points are simply CUP points that were used and cancelled within 60 days or less. So RCUP points could last 1 day or 364 days. (If you made a reservation by cancelling your HRPP week the day it became available at 1 yr out, used the points for a reservation say a month in advance, and then cancelled that reservation, the points would be restricted for the remainder of the CUP period - so almost a year.

After RCUP ends, then LCUP begins. LCUP by rule lasts 180 days. COVID cancellations may extend your LCUP until 12.31.21

It is my understanding that RCUP points expire on 12/31/21

As noted - no RCUP points expire that far in advance, only LCUP cancelled due to COVID

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you cancel within 60 days, they are restricted -- under normal or COVID policy.

-ryan

Correct. Less that 60 days, always restricted. Could have been a HRPP week originally, CUP, RCUP, LCUP points. Doesn't matter, the points will be restricted. Whether they are RCUP or LCUP depends on the timing and from where they came originally.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that RCUP points expire on 12/31/21 provided those points were granted because the resort was not in operation due to Covid-19. Otherwise the termination date is governed by LCUP rules. You may need to call Hyatt to verify the applicable date.

BTW, another way to extend LCUP points is to reserve a unit at the end of the traditional LCUP period. That occupancy must be completed within 60 days. Therefore, LCUP points would last a total of 8 months provided the reservation would start 15 weeks before the 8 month expiration date.
Just following up on the result after speaking with Hyatt member services.

Yes, these points were restricted due to COVID, will move to LCUP on 9/12 and have an expiration of 12/31/21. I do also have 120 points that will move from CUP to LCUP that will have an expiration of 3/12/21 since they are not covered by COVID. I've decided that for $41, it isn't worth it to extend the life of these for 9 months through book and cancel so I will try to use them by March or let them expire. Thanks for everyone's help.

-ryan

boraxo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra, Villa Resorts (Mexico)
A couple of newbie questions:
  • What is the cancellation fee if I cancel my regular home resort week > 60 days notice?
  • If points go into RCUP then can I immediately waitlist for another resort?
  • Can I use the RCUP to reserve a date at my home resort that is past my regular week? How far after?
Thanks

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of newbie questions:
  • What is the cancellation fee if I cancel my regular home resort week > 60 days notice?
  • If points go into RCUP then can I immediately waitlist for another resort?
  • Can I use the RCUP to reserve a date at my home resort that is past my regular week? How far after?
Thanks

1. Edited: Sorry, I misread your question. Kal would know this one.
2. Yes, but with your waitlist, you only can protect your contract AFAIK, not the bucket the points are in. So it will take from the most restrictive bucket first (LCUP, then RCUP). Still, to answer your question, you can immediately waitlist for another resort.
3. Yes. Waitlist goes out 18 months IIRC.

-ryan

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Edited: Sorry, I misread your question. Kal would know this one.
2. Yes, but with your waitlist, you only can protect your contract AFAIK, not the bucket the points are in. So it will take from the most restrictive bucket first (LCUP, then RCUP). Still, to answer your question, you can immediately waitlist for another resort.
3. Yes. Waitlist goes out 18 months IIRC.

-ryan

I'm thinking there's a hiccup in Q & A on #2 and 3.

2. The Hyatt system is set up to use the oldest points first, however if the reservation is more than 60 days from the date of confirmation, the system will not use RCUP or LCUP points. (see #3 below)
3. RCUP points can be used at any HRC property, however similar to LCUP, the reservation can only extend 60 days out from the day of the request.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking there's a hiccup in Q & A on #2 and 3.

2. The Hyatt system is set up to use the oldest points first, however if the reservation is more than 60 days from the date of confirmation, the system will not use RCUP or LCUP points. (see #3 below)
3. RCUP points can be used at any HRC property, however similar to LCUP, the reservation can only extend 60 days out from the day of the request.
Since it was a newbie asking, I was just answering each question as written independent from the other questions. But re-reading it, if it is tied to question #1, then you are correct and they should disregard my response.

My main point is that you can only protect contracts on the waitlist, but you can't choose specific buckets of points they come out of. Also for #2, I think the most restrictive bucket that qualifies is the correct answer. In your scenario, there could be older points that are in CUP vs RCUP, but RCUP would be used first if the reservation is within 60 days.

-ryan