• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What happened to Tim Hortons? The downfall of Canada's brand

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Tim's is still huge in Western New York. By far known as the best place for coffee.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
In the Good old Days before Tim Horton's was bought out they had a very simple prodecure to determine where to build the next Tim Horton's. They would go out into the street and set a Donut rolling. Where it stopped they would build another Tim Horton.

geekette

Reaction score
Never had them here, never saw them on my travels. Their appeal eludes me. Guess we won't be getting one so I can find out for myself.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Orillia Ontario, about 20 mins from our home, has a population of about 31,000 people and has 11 Tim Hortons! They are all busy all the time. I just don't get it, although I am not a coffee drinker, I think its a huge waste of money for many people. Why cant people just make coffee at home and put it in a travel mug or thermos to take with them? I worked with women who would go to Tim Hortons before they closed on Christmas Eve and buy 6 or 8 coffees to reheat and drink all through Christmas Day while Tim's in closed.
Of all the garbage along the sides of the road in many areas of southern Ontario, Timmies cups seem to be the most prevalent.:mad:

~Diane

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Orillia does have a crazy amount of Tim’s. Never had coffee but did like their muffins, doughnuts, cakes and fancies. But now over priced and rarely a stop there when we go back. Plus they are not cooked onsite.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to love their doughnuts, which always tasted really fresh and not like they were loaded with artificial flavors. Now the doughnuts are disappointing. I try them every so often when we're in Canada, thinking maybe they're good again!

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
From my experience, they are so much better than McDonalds.

uaremymuse

Reaction score
Is it possible that the real reason that people go to THs is not for the coffee but for the donuts, sweets, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Orillia does have a crazy amount of Tim’s. .......

I think the “mothership” / the Hammer may have more per resident .

Hamilton Ontario - home of the Ti- Cats .
where their home stadium is called : Tim Hortons Field

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the “mothership” / the Hammer may have more per resident .

Hamilton Ontario - home of the Ti- Cats .
where their home stadium is called : Tim Hortons Field

You may be right but more per resident would go to a place with 1 possibly 2 for a divided highway situation where there are very few residents. Just people passing by. Not being there but they seemed to have fought off Starbucks, Mcdonalds, and where does Coffee Time and Country Style stand now? Are they all smoke free now? Use to be some had glassed off smoking sections.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Is it possible that the real reason that people go to THs is not for the coffee but for the donuts, sweets, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I don't drink coffee. I always found Tim's donuts, sweets, etc. to be lacking. I prefer the offerings from Dunkin' Donuts. Especially their breakfast sandwiches.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
A friend posted this photo on Facebook this morning.
75456956_3315345135317603_589835980542836736_n.jpg

~Diane

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are they all smoke free now? Use to be some had glassed off smoking sections.

When smoking was allowed in restaurants here in BC, I knew of one Tim Horton's that had a glassed-off smoking section. Now smoking is not permitted in any sort of establishment here, bars and nightclubs included.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer the offerings from Dunkin' Donuts. Especially their breakfast sandwiches.

There are very few Dunkin' Donuts here in this area. It seems like any competitor to Tim Horton's-like establishments get quickly squashed. I remember when Kripsy Kreme first set foot here and it took off like wildfire. KK was ready to expand rapidly, but the novelty quickly wore off and we still have only the original KK here as far as I know.

Other similar establishments here that tried to compete with or outdo TIm Horton's were Decadent Donuts, Muffin Break, and the Bread Garden. If these have survived, it's barely.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
A friend posted this photo on Facebook this morning.
~Diane
Awesome post, Moonstone. I can relate. East coasters call it 'Snowmegeddon' while Minnesotans call it 'Tuesday'!