• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What else is there to do around Orlando when you don't go to the parks?

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a wonderful getaway in Sedona last month, and had no problems socially distancing for a couple of weeks while we enjoyed long hikes in the forest/red rocks.

It was so nice to get away, I'm looking at some weeks in Orlando resorts now, and am wondering what there is to do in and around there if you don't go to the parks? Are there any Tuggers who go to Orlando and do outdoor activities? I looked up places on Atlas Obscura ( https://www.atlasobscura.com/ ) and see there are several state parks with hiking/biking trails - I'd be up for kayaking near manatees! Does anyone have ideas on how to spend a couple of weeks based in Orlando outside of the parks?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Is Cape Canaveral open? We spent a couple of Orlando timeshare days over at Cocoa Beach, and touring Cape Canaveral. It was really cool.

Dave

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're so right, Dave, we loved Cape Canaveral on our last trip to Orlando! I'd love to see a launch there!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You're so right, Dave, we loved Cape Canaveral on our last trip to Orlando! I'd love to see a launch there!

We happened to be at the Cape Canaveral Visitors Center when they were showing the first of the newer Star Trek movies - the one with Chris Pine as young James Kirk. We stayed after hours to see the movie - on their Imax-sized screen. It was fantastic! What a great venue to see a movie like that.

Dave

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not open in COVID times, but volunteering at Give Kids the World Village, where they host Wish Kids and their families from around the world is THE BEST.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Since we became empty nesters we have spent quite a few weeks there over the years without going to any theme parks. A few years ago we drove down (US-27?) to Lake Wales to the BOK Tower gardens (https://boktowergardens.org/). Nice grounds to walk around or sit and enjoy the carillon being played (check the website for days/times). We also toured the Pinewood Mansion on the grounds. We even enjoyed looking around Lake Wales, it's cute little town. with a lovely walking trail around the lake.

We have also spent time in old (original) Kissimmee and St. Cloud. Driving into the center of Celebration (across from VV@Pkwy) to walk around the 'downtown' is always on our must do list. We have also spent time at Wekiwa Springs State Park bicycling or walking on the trails. They had canoes and kayaks available to rent last time we were there. I'm not sure what is open during these times.

If we are not combining our central FL stay with a week at the beach then we drive over to Cocoa beach at least once. It is just over an hours drive to Lori Wilson Park from Kissimmee where there is lots of parking, change rooms and places to get food nearby. As mentioned above, the Kennedy Space Center is a whole days (or more) outing or you could also drive around in the wildlife refuge north of The Space Center.

~Diane

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
+1 for Wekiwa State Park as @moonstone suggested. We always go and spend an afternoon at least there. Some nice trails and canoeing (and if you are adventurous the water is fun to swim in).

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
There must be 100 different brochures in the lobby of your resort to pick from.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is water everywhere around Orlando. If you want explore nature, you can do that. Water sports, you can do that. Downtown Orlando is nice. Lots of good restaurants, places to walk, small, lakes, etc. Also pro sports when they open again.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. We've only been to Orlando a couple of times for Disney and Universal, so haven't ever looked into other stuff to do. The Orlando area is so built up, I wasn't sure if it's practical to base there and spend most of our time exploring Florida's natural attractions? I'm sure there are better places to stay than Orlando, but it has so many nice resorts that are super cheap right now!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Go to the gun place and shoot the machine gun. I haven't done it yet but it looks like a blast. (no pun intended).

Also, there is the Andretti karting experience.

Yes, I'm an adrenaline junkie.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
It depends on what you like to do on vacation. We live in central Florida and still find new things and places.
We like to golf and walking trails, also bike riders ( not motorcycles). The beach is also something I love.
Have a great time!

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I'm sure there are better places to stay than Orlando, but it has so many nice resorts that are super cheap right now!

In our 44 yrs of vacationing (camping & timesharing) in Florida we have only stayed in Orlando once and we hated it! We much prefer to stay in Kissimmee at resorts slightly off 192/Irlo Bronson Pkwy., where it is quiet but still easily accessible to the shops and restaurants along 192. Our first choice for Florida is on a coast (east or west) but there are always so many more and cheaper stays in Kissimmee available.

Many years ago our neighbours took their then little kids to Orlando for a week. They stayed in a hotel right in downtown Orlando and also hated it. When they came home they told us they were never going back to Florida and they had an awful week except for the 3 days at the theme parks! They never even went to a beach. I asked how they could make that judgement on a short stay just in 1 large city. I told them that was like somebody from another country coming to Ontario and staying in a hotel in downtown Toronto in July and then saying they hated Ontario. Geesh!

~Diane

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Florida isn’t for everybody. It took me a few years to really like living here.
Been here 33 years now and consider this home. But still have my Boston Accent.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
In our 44 yrs of vacationing (camping & timesharing) in Florida we have only stayed in Orlando once and we hated it! We much prefer to stay in Kissimmee at resorts slightly off 192/Irlo Bronson Pkwy., where it is quiet but still easily accessible to the shops and restaurants along 192. Our first choice for Florida is on a coast (east or west) but there are always so many more and cheaper stays in Kissimmee available.

Many years ago our neighbours took their then little kids to Orlando for a week. They stayed in a hotel right in downtown Orlando and also hated it. When they came home they told us they were never going back to Florida and they had an awful week except for the 3 days at the theme parks! They never even went to a beach. I asked how they could make that judgement on a short stay just in 1 large city. I told them that was like somebody from another country coming to Ontario and staying in a hotel in downtown Toronto in July and then saying they hated Ontario. Geesh!

~Diane
People who go to Orlando to go to the parks and stay in a hotel in Downtown Orlando apparently didn't do their research...

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
You mentioned kayaking. Our college-aged nieces booked a “bioluminescent kayaking” trip over near Titusville/Cocoa and had a great time. They went in mid-March, and thought they definitely got their $s worth. I think it was about an hour drive back to the resort near WDW.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

People who go to Orlando to go to the parks and stay in a hotel in Downtown Orlando apparently didn't do their research...
That's for sure! That is how they roll - still! I even offered to get them an Extra Vacation week so they wouldn't need to spend the week with 4 of them in a hotel room! :wall:

~Diane

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Since we became empty nesters we have spent quite a few weeks there over the years without going to any theme parks. A few years ago we drove down (US-27?) to Lake Wales to the BOK Tower gardens (https://boktowergardens.org/). Nice grounds to walk around or sit and enjoy the carillon being played (check the website for days/times). We also toured the Pinewood Mansion on the grounds. We even enjoyed looking around Lake Wales, it's cute little town. with a lovely walking trail around the lake.

We have also spent time in old (original) Kissimmee and St. Cloud. Driving into the center of Celebration (across from VV@Pkwy) to walk around the 'downtown' is always on our must do list. We have also spent time at Wekiwa Springs State Park bicycling or walking on the trails. They had canoes and kayaks available to rent last time we were there. I'm not sure what is open during these times.

If we are not combining our central FL stay with a week at the beach then we drive over to Cocoa beach at least once. It is just over an hours drive to Lori Wilson Park from Kissimmee where there is lots of parking, change rooms and places to get food nearby. As mentioned above, the Kennedy Space Center is a whole days (or more) outing or you could also drive around in the wildlife refuge north of The Space Center.

~Diane

I was also going to suggest Bok Tower. My husband spent part of his childhood in Lake Wales, which isn't much of a town, but we've enjoyed a visit to the gardens. We also visit Celebration, especially at the holidays. We sometimes make a day trip to one of the Gulf beaches.

If strawberries are in season, we drive toward Plant City to buy some. I've never made it to the Strawberry Festival there, but hope to time it right someday.

If I didn't have any plans in Orlando, I'd choose a resort closer to one of the coasts. There has been some availability during the pandemic that you might not normally see. I prefer the Gulf side.

Sheila

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I didn't have any plans in Orlando, I'd choose a resort closer to one of the coasts. There has been some availability during the pandemic that you might not normally see. I prefer the Gulf side.

Sheila

I’d love to get an exchange back into Sanibel/Captiva, but it just isn’t happening.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
If strawberries are in season, we drive toward Plant City to buy some. I've never made it to the Strawberry Festival there, but hope to time it right someday.
Did somebody mention strawberries?

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Did somebody mention strawberries?

We actually tried Parkesdale last year after (probably) reading about it here on TUG. I was a little underwhelmed by the shortcake, so would probably try something else the next time. They did have beautiful berries, so I bought a flat. Had the grand-daughters with us, so they ate most of them, but I managed to get a few in freezer bags to bring home.

They weren't the small sweet berries that I remember getting in the past from Plant City. This was in early January, so I might have missed the earlier varieties.

Sheila

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
We live in Cape Canaveral - on the beach, not at Kennedy Space Center. :LOL: We've seen many amazing launches right from the beach.

JRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many yeas ago I stayed at Orange Lake, within that property lots to do. Particularly enjoyed the golf and golf lessons. I also went to a horse show / dinner that was pretty cool, how often do you do that ? Universal Studios might be considered a theme park but good back then …. local golf then gets a second nod. Drive a nascar replica I believe is offered but I did that when returning to Michigan, as we have a nice 2.5 mile track and was limited to 168 mph, look up Rusty Wallace for all the tracks this is offered at ….