• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Does Your Resort Charge to Rent Your Unit?

TBipp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House and Windward Pointe, Key West, FL
The Banyan Resort, Key West, FL
We just returned from Maui, and the sales rep said that for those years we do not use the Maui unit and do not exchange, we can have Hyatt rent the unit. The fee to Hyatt is 25% of the rental income for our unit, and the remaining rental income is turned over to the owner. He also said that it originally was a 40% fee and the HOA President played hard ball, and it was reduced to 25%. I confess I do not know what the Hyatt retained percentage is at my home resort; however, I'm wondering what it might be at some of the other resorts if you happen to know? I plan to call Beach House and ask them. When I find out, I'll post here.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Just be aware that all nights may not get rented and then you get stiffed. They might only rent a long weekend, Thur-Sun. If you can get a guaranteed week rental, nothing less, then it might be worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Are you allowed to rent it yourself?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many years ago on 3 separate occasions I had Marriott rent my Sabal Palms Week for me. Back then their commission was 20%. Today I think it may be 40%. I will say, however, that they always rented the full 7 days and the net I received from them was greater than my MF. Hopefully you can get some feedback from someone who has had Hyatt do this for them...

George

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
Back a few years ago when I signed an annual contract with Hyatt to rent out my Hyatt Main Street Station: a 3 bedroom, (2 bedroom plus lock off studio) view looking up peek 9 at Breckenridge Colorado , penthouse, peak ski week inn March week 11,) and singed a contract to do so the Hyatt Vacation Club share of the rent was to be 40%. AND with no Guarantee that they would rent it or for how much.

I did place it with Hyatt for several years and for what ever reason they did not get a Renter. Then after about the 3rd year they modified the renewal contract terms to say that if I cancelled the contract I would have to pay a cancelation fee of about $40.00. The only time I considered cancelling the contract is to use my week because they had not been able to rent it out. So when they added this fee I questioned why they changed the contract adding this cancelation fee. Carolyn Wray the Hyatt Vacation Club manager at the time denied the they had changed the contract. I showed her the prior years contacts that I had copies of with no cancellation fee provisions. She still denied they changed the newer contracts by adding a cancelation fee. Needless to say that was the last time I used the Hyatt Vacation Club, St Petersburg corporation office, to try to rent my unit for me.

Then I did use the resort's management company for several years , at 25% but they also seldom could get a renter even in the best snow years, they did for a few years , but still with no guarantees of what rental rate they would charge in the contract. They did give lip service by saying they would always try to at least get a rental amount of at least the amount of the maintenance fee.

So I gave up trying to rent it out though others mostly, but for now I do list it for rent here on the TUG Site in the FOR RENT section, and also in the FOR SALE section.

I do not know, but I would guess that the Hyatt fee to rent your unit is probably still for a fee of 40%. Just call them and ask them. I'm not going call them because I have no interest in trying to rent through them because of their one sided contract and high fee.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Back a few years ago when I signed an annual contract with Hyatt to rent out my Hyatt Main Street Station: a 3 bedroom, (2 bedroom plus lock off studio) view looking up peek 9 at Breckenridge Colorado , penthouse, peak ski week inn March week 11,) and singed a contract to do so the Hyatt Vacation Club share of the rent was to be 40%. AND with no Guarantee that they would rent it or for how much.

I did place it with Hyatt for several years and for what ever reason they did not get a Renter. Then after about the 3rd year they modified the renewal contract terms to say that if I cancelled the contract I would have to pay a cancelation fee of about $40.00. The only time I considered cancelling the contract is to use my week because they had not been able to rent it out. So when they added this fee I questioned why they changed the contract adding this cancelation fee. Carolyn Wray the Hyatt Vacation Club manager at the time denied the they had changed the contract. I showed her the prior years contacts that I had copies of with no cancellation fee provisions. She still denied they changed the newer contracts by adding a cancelation fee. Needless to say that was the last time I used the Hyatt Vacation Club, St Petersburg corporation office, to try to rent my unit for me.

Then I did use the resort's management company for several years , at 25% but they also seldom could get a renter even in the best snow years, they did for a few years , but still with no guarantees of what rental rate they would charge in the contract. They did give lip service by saying they would always try to at least get a rental amount of at least the amount of the maintenance fee.

So I gave up trying to rent it out though others mostly, but for now I do list it for rent here on the TUG Site in the FOR RENT section, and also in the FOR SALE section.

I do not know, but I would guess that the Hyatt fee to rent your unit is probably still for a fee of 40%. Just call them and ask them. I'm not going call them because I have no interest in trying to rent through them because of their one sided contract and high fee.
What happened when they didn't rent it out, did you use the week?

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
Well one year I lost the points because my agent / friend did not tell me that he had not rented it. Other years I just take it back in CUP points and try to use them somewhere before I loose them. That's a difficult task when you been there and done that to every club in the system. And I'm kind of burned out about it all, preferring to take Holland America Line Cruses instead of going back to all the Hyatt places I have already been.. But I would go back to the ones that are hard to almost impossible to get into , if i could. Until I get wore out on them also. I've used my point for 2 bedrooms in Key West because that's all I could get when I only needed a studio, I pushed them into EE , where I now have to many to use, and then I don't like paying another $300 to use them. I've give a one week to my sister to stay at Coconut plantation. etc. but still with only 3 Hyatt properties I'm point overloaded. one reason being that I get about 5800 points from my Hyatt 3 bedroom week at Breckenridge. ( Summer float points combined with winter points). I've been to HMSS Breckenridge every year for 15 years straight for the 4th of July week. But this year I said not this year. you cant tell the parade from one year to the next. they look identical. Breckenridge is a wonderful , real town. place and historic. But this year / summer I decided to take a 40 day cruise and 4 day before to the Baltic sea countries, St Petersburg, Scotland , Iceland and including 7 day to Norway at the end.

That's why I started going to Puerto Rico for 6 weeks at a time for several years and loved it, and bought a resale there also, ( I had consecutive 6 weeks reserved in PR 2 years ago when it was hit by the hurricane - and now I have 5 comp stays promised to me by Hyatt use - I worry that I will ever get them. i.e. by the time they get the PR club reopened They may have lost the records of what they promised us that were cancelled due to the Hurricanes. BUT I'm hopeful. they are trying I think they have set up a specials team at Member services to work with the people effected by the PR cancellations. ( I understand that Marriott owners that were effected by the hurricanes that year were not re accommodated in any way - they were told "Tough luck" by Marriott! That's what one effected member told me so I don't know if that's true or the whole story. And as you can see under my avatar on the left I have 3 Mexican timeshares, ne of which I have never used it. ( The Mayan Palace - Near Playa del Carmen) and its the most expensive one . I did stay there twice however using my RCI points to trade in, but have never stayed there as a member. One reason being that there is no maintenance fee due unless you use a week. (Except one every 10 years - for which you get no stay. Just have to pay it - But now that I am over 76 years old I can. now stay one week a year at no cost. I need to start using that, which then lets the Hyatt points pile up. so I had to many Hyatt points I needed to use to do something before I lose them.

Ok enough . I guess you get the picture, and I just came back in to turn my computer off when I saw you question, I was headed to bed. its now 1:30AM here in Denver. so that why I just started to leave you a short note before i turned the computer off, but as you see I started rambling.. and I could probably go on more about how I'm overwhelmed with to many points, and why my best solutions for me this stage is to sell my Hyatt Main Street Station. (And P.S. the reason I don't use up all MSS points during ski season is that I am single, never really needed a 3 bedroom, and then about 9 years ago I hit a tree on peak 8 at Breck and broke my leg and sort of then eventually gave up skiing after going back for a few ski days before i quit permanently. ( Hospital bill $500,00 and doctors $500,000, $900 ambulance ride for 9 miles to local emergency room , and then $3700 for ambulance "taxi" ride to Denver for surgery and recoup. All paid by insurance but my out of pocket cost was about $700) - I was not recklessly skiing or goofing off - but my mistake was I was not looking ahead, I was looking at my feet and day dreaming about what I was going to fix for dinner - when the tree surprised me ! but it was to late. PPK

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Have you done a direct exchange with TUG? We have had much success doing these.

TBipp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House and Windward Pointe, Key West, FL
The Banyan Resort, Key West, FL
I have rented my extra weeks on TUG in the past. What made me think of this was that the Maui units are rented for about $900 a day directly from Hyatt. I doubt that I would be able to get that much trying to rent it myself. After paying 25% of that to Hyatt, one would have quite a bit more than the annual Maui fee I believe. While in Maui, they were all talking about the crackdown on VRBO and Air B&B which means less units to compete with the timeshares. I know that Key West is also cracking down on those types of rentals so there may be more demand for my Key West units with VRBO and Air B&B out of the picture.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
Look what I just saw - at 12:38 AM 13SEP 2019 ! Starts tomorrow. and I have 3000 plus limited club points that expire tonight, and can't grab this because I already have other travel plans booked. And it starts Saturday and today is Friday.

By using Frequent Flier miles I would have done it. Probably. My poor management of my LCUP points got me in this situation this time. I just forgot I had to do something with them. Well I knew I had to , but I just spaced out the deadline date. Now I am scrambling to try to find something to use them before they evaporate in 21 hours. Like something that interest me - and as late into November that I can get it . Latest my LCUP points will allow is 13 NOV. There is not much to choose from in inventory - and what there is I've " Been There -- Done That " several times over. i.e. I am burned out on repeating same / same, and sometimes it just cheaper to loose the points that trying to get there / somewhere at the last minute.

This would be great for someone that lives in Hawaii - but then why would they need it. Well Maybe they would . I hope someone does - I will see if this availability is still available in about 7 hours from now, still today, after I get out of bed. ? Some one will probably grab it. And I understand why they might , somewhat.... because I do drive, in 90 minutes, to the Colorado Mountain Hyatt clubs quite often to use points that I would otherwise loose. But for this 3000 points I'm stuck with right now I was hoping to find something more exotic (to me ) .. like this one below. But it will not be !

upload_2019-9-13_0-38-23.png

Last edited:

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Look what I just saw - at 12:38 AM 13SEP 2019 ! Starts tomorrow. and I have 3000 plus limited club points that expire tonight, and can't grab this because I already have other travel plans booked. And it starts Saturday and today is Friday.

By using Frequent Flier miles I would have done it. Probably. My poor management of my LCUP points got me in this situation this time. I just forgot I had to do something with them. Well I knew I had to , but I just spaced out the deadline date. Now I am scrambling to try to find something to use them before they evaporate in 21 hours. Like something that interest me - and as late into November that I can get it . Latest my LCUP points will allow is 13 NOV. There is not much to choose from in inventory - and what there is I've " Been There -- Done That " several times over. i.e. I am burned out on repeating same / same, and sometimes it just cheaper to loose the points that trying to get there / somewhere at the last minute.

This would be great for someone that lives in Hawaii - but then why would they need it. Well Maybe they would . I hope someone does - I will see if this availability is still available in about 7 hours from now, still today, after I get out of bed. ? Some one will probably grab it. And I understand why they might , somewhat.... because I do drive, in 90 minutes, to the Colorado Mountain Hyatt clubs quite often to use points that I would otherwise loose. But for this 3000 points I'm stuck with right now I was hoping to find something more exotic (to me ) .. like this one below. But it will not be !

View attachment 14012

Some popped up in LCUP that you may be able to use in November. Hopefully you can get something out of those points!

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
I just saw the 2 Maui weeks in the system also tonight, thank you, about an hour before my points expired, but before I came in to write this post. So thanks for looking out for me in any case. I have been gone all day and just got home 2 hours before the points expired. And yes, I saw the November 9, 2019 1 bedroom at Kaanapali Beach and booked it immediately. (1450 LCUP points). Then, about 20 minutes before expiration, I did a 3 day weekend in Aspen for September that I will give to my Nephew and also the same in late October, that I may or may not use. --
I will be rushing to get ready for Hawaii about that time , :banana:and my car might not make it to Aspen , I hesitate about pushing it over the mountain passes between Denver and Aspen, (I'm timeshare rich and car poor - 87 Jeep with 328,000 miles on it) -- so I might not take a chance, or more likely not even have time for Aspen, and it was "reserve something RIGH NOW time or lose the points", but depending on the weather I will try. Thank you