• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What do you think about Mayan?

flexible

TUG Member
Reaction score
After Valentino walked away from me, Sini, and The MANAGEMENT at Mayan in the Riviera Maya just to told me on 12 Jan 2012 2:30 pm CST:

Our company is better off financially if you DO NOT change your contract (by upgrading).

And YOU are NOT allowed to come to a presentation because I (Sini) have already TOLD YOU everything YOU need to know.

Many Mayan employees witnessed this. Now I need to tell my husband. Granted we own a TON of timeshares and do not need Mayan.

I plan to stay in bed on Friday, 13 Jan 2012 because their is a FULL MOON and we just want to get out of here after arriving in Cancun 15Nov2012. We are scheduled to check out on 14Jan 2012. Last year they gave us 10% off the bill since they knew we had met and spoken to Sini.

Granted, Sini had offered to submit a PROPOSAL to the COMPTROLLER of Mayan in NV asking for a waiver of the NEW CLAUSE that stipulates that ALL Addendums in prior contracts like SC1 (no maintenance fees for register weeks after age 77 (My husband is 85.) are null and void in the new contract. BUT he said that even the comptroller would not allow us to keep PROFILE A like 12 months in advance for reservations and the right to reserve all but Christmas, NY, Holy week or Easter.

Sini said the NEW clause requiring that we surrender the right to use REGISTER weeks in consecutive months of February or March could NOT be removed from an upgraded contract.

5 year renovation due on 28Feb2012
Purchase date: 5Jan2012
ID 15231/MRY1480/MSMRICR4802,MSMRICR4803,MSMRICR4804,4805

5 year renovation due (We were told 28Feb2012 but Sini says we were told wrong and are past due
Purchase date: 13Dec2012
ID151164/MRY1393/MSMRICR4481,MSMRICR4482

Since were aware that renovation fees were coming due and were in Mexico for six months last year we got these quotes:
- Mayan in Mayan Riviera 6 x about $10,000 to DOWNGRADE from 6 weeks of 2 bedroom to 6 weeks of 1 bedroom
-Mayan in NV - $30,000 for the SAME as above
-Mayan in Mazatan - $3,000 for the SAME as above

Sini said we owe Mayan:
$4700 If we do NOTHING regardless for renovation
$6800 (3400 per contract to change ANYTHING)
PLUS upgrade fee EVEN if we DOWNGRADE the time

I guess if we made 6 x 2 bedroom units at Mayan Palace become 6 x 1 bedroom units at Mayan Palace (essentially giving up the adjacent studio) it should cost us about $75,000 or so.

I feel a bit STUNNED so I thought I would ask my friends in cyberspace what they think.

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
WOW! That is a lot of money to make changes - especially downsizing. I do know from when we originally upgraded to Grand Mayan in 2006, that there was a cost per contract to upgrade and the more contracts, the higher the number for the extra contract being applied to the new deal went. It was overwhelming and we decided not to upgrade all of our contracts, just enough to get 2 GM units for the price we were willing to pay.

When I was in Acapulco last January, they wanted $13,000 to trade my 2-GM 2-bedroom units, plus my 3-MP 2-bedroom units, and my 1 bedroom MP unit for a total of 4 Grand Mayan units (I did not like the Grand Bliss units). This basically gave me 2 more Grand Mayan weeks than we had, but we would give up 4 Mayan Palace weeks. I passed on that opportunity because we would have had 2 less weeks per year to use once those Senior Certificate weeks kick in and the Maintenance Fees would be higher than what we are paying for our 6 units now. We already have the no pay unless you go and Profile A, so they did not have anything other than the renovation fees to negotiate with. We are OK with those because only one contract comes up each year.

When it is just us, we like staying at MP units. We use the GM units when friends or family join us.

Since we do not want to upgrade any more, we have decided to pass on the torture day. It is not worth the 10% of what we charge at the resort. I think that last year we only ate one meal, had drinks twice, and paid for the expensive WIFI for 2 weeks. I think we got 2 free breakfasts and about $25 off on our charges (to get that, I had to make sure they gave me the discount on the internet fee).

Last edited:

flexible

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW! That is a lot of money to make changes - especially downsizing.

Since we do not want to upgrade any more, we have decided to pass on the torture day. It is not worth the 10% of what we charge at the resort. .

I think the ONLY and LAST presentation with breakfast we did at Mayan in Maya Riviera was in November 2007. I was still trying to understand my husband's portfolio of 50 plus programs. We also passed at their opportunity to get ripped off.

If I want to know information about renovation fees, upgrade costs etc, I find the highest level person physically at the resort and ask. Unfortunately Daniel Chavez Sr, Daniel Jr, Ivan and Delia (if she is still involved) seem to be in NV. (Delia had gone to the timeshare presentation in South Florida in the 1970s or 1980s and came home to Mazatlan suggesting her son Daniel get into the timeshare business.)

When the women in the department pretending to be TWEETY called constantly to request we attend a breakfast for an update, I told them after the 20th call that IF they called again I would tell Norma Garcia (General Manager for Mayan in Maya Riviera). They then set our telephones so NO INBOUND CALL could reach our room from outside of our resort. Not EVEN for family emergencies. The Mayan operator told me this was because IF I do NOT want to receive calls asking me to attend a presentation then they assumed I must not want to receive ANY calls!

I told Rubin Garcia and Elias Hernandez - the General Managers for Rooms Division under Norma Garcia and in 2010 they quit playing that game.

I met my husband on 12 Dec 2006. He was so excited to show me the Senior Certificate program letter he received at home from Mayan. I regret I was not with him on 13 Dec 2006 when he spent $40,000. I had flown home when he responded to a telephone call and purchased 3 weeks later when he spent $80,000 for a four week x 2 Bedroom foreclosure.

I remember Jorge Wrobel and Johnny Montalvo so well. $5,400 per week rental rates for a 2 bedroom shared by 6 golfers for the 2 bedroom unit. How could they be wrong?

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
WOW! That is a lot of money to make changes - especially downsizing. I do know from when we originally upgraded to Grand Mayan in 2006, that there was a cost per contract to upgrade and the more contracts, the higher the number for the extra contract being applied to the new deal went. It was overwhelming and we decided not to upgrade all of our contracts, just enough to get 2 GM units for the price we were willing to pay.

When I was in Acapulco last January, they wanted $13,000 to trade my 2-GM 2-bedroom units, plus my 3-MP 2-bedroom units, and my 1 bedroom MP unit for a total of 4 Grand Mayan units (I did not like the Grand Bliss units). This basically gave me 2 more Grand Mayan weeks than we had, but we would give up 4 Mayan Palace weeks. I passed on that opportunity because we would have had 2 less weeks per year to use once those Senior Certificate weeks kick in and the Maintenance Fees would be higher than what we are paying for our 6 units now. We already have the no pay unless you go and Profile A, so they did not have anything other than the renovation fees to negotiate with. We are OK with those because only one contract comes up each year.

When it is just us, we like staying at MP units. We use the GM units when friends or family join us.

Since we do not want to upgrade any more, we have decided to pass on the torture day. It is not worth the 10% of what we charge at the resort. I think that last year we only ate one meal, had drinks twice, and paid for the expensive WIFI for 2 weeks. I think we got 2 free breakfasts and about $25 off on our charges (to get that, I had to make sure they gave me the discount on the internet fee).

Buy a Telcel modem and you will have Wi-Fi a lot cheaper and it is quite fast like about DSL but not as fast as FiOS. This is the third year that we are using the same G3 modem. The rates are here and they have a nice discount, I see here. :) This makes sense if you stay in Mexico for multiple weeks.

You even see the G3 modems for sale on eBay (see here) too but we bought ours from Telcel in Puerto Vallarta in walking distance from the Buganvilias Club. It is one of the major Telcel offices in this city where we also bought our local phone. It is cheaper than the international rates from AT&T for our iPhone.

The Buganvilias Business Center doubled their rates but if you are a timeshare owner here, then you have free Wi-Fi now. It worked in our fixed unit in Building B but it isn't working in all units from what I heard.

Last edited:

rlblack

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your experiences sure cement our determination to never - never- never- go to a Mayan presentation, never buy into thier lies, never spend any money with them- and for sure never stay in thier resort- It is unfortunate they are not an American Company- all this sounds like fraud to me.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Buy a Telcel modem and you will have Wi-Fi a lot cheaper and it is quite fast like about DSL but not as fast as FiOS. This is the third year that we are using the same G3 modem. The rates are here and they have a nice discount, I see here. :) This makes sense if you stay in Mexico for multiple weeks.

You even see the G3 modems for sale on eBay (see here) too but we bought ours from Telcel in Puerto Vallarta in walking distance from the Buganvilias Club. It is one of the major Telcel offices in this city where we also bought our local phone. It is cheaper than the international rates from AT&T for our iPhone.

The Buganvilias Business Center doubled their rates but if you are a timeshare owner here, then you have free Wi-Fi now. It worked in our fixed unit in Building B but it isn't working in all units from what I heard.

Thanks for the information - I am sure that many of us can use that. We will look into that for when we go to our Grupo Mayan timeshares. All of our others have free WIFI for owners now. It worked great for us at the Buganvilias in October. We were in Building A on the 22nd floor on the south end.