• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What do you think about Harry and Meghan’s decision?

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
A grown man decide's to move out of Mum's house, and make plans to become financially independent. He arrives at this decision, because he believe's it's in the best interest of his family. He knows that his decision will not be well received, and that it may damage his relationship with his family, in addition to his future finances. But that doesn't matter to him. What matters is what's best for his family. It doesn't matter what the Queen thinks. It doesn't matter what his father or brother thinks about his decision. What matters to him, is what's best for his family. I think that's a good quality. His mother is probably beaming with pride right now. People may disagree with his decision, but surely we can agree that we'd love to have a Son or Son in Law, with Prince Henry's dedication to his family. Right?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
A grown man decide's to move out of Mum's house, and make plans to become financially independent. He arrives at this decision, because he believe's it's in the best interest of his family. He knows that his decision will not be well received, and that it may damage his relationship with his family, in addition to his future finances. But that doesn't matter to him. What matters is what's best for his family. It doesn't matter what the Queen thinks. It doesn't matter what his father or brother thinks about his decision. What matters to him, is what's best for his family. I think that's a good quality. His mother is probably beaming with pride right now. People may disagree with his decision, but surely we can agree that we'd love to have a Son or Son in Law, with Prince Henry's dedication to his family. Right?
I don't think people necessarily disagree with what he is doing, perhaps just the way that he, and she, went about it.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I don't think people necessarily disagree with what he is doing, perhaps just the way that he, and she, went about it.

I don't think this is as much about him as it is about Meagan. From all the stories, it always seems to be about her.
My opinion and two cents, which isn't worth much, is that Harry has always been upset about what happened to his mother. Now that he is married and has a son he doesn't want that kind of life and scrutiny for them.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
My post was also tongue in cheek. I think this thread has become way too serious.

Interesting to hear that you think a discussion of our political system shouldn't be serious, but should be more "fun". In the same spirit, if you want a really "fun" thread, might I suggest that you start a new thread entitled "The Shenanigans of the Family of the Occupant of the Oval Office". Now that could be a "fun" thread with lots of material to work with, too. I would be happy to contribute. :D

However, on this website I unfortunately feel it might become not so much "fun", but rather too "political" and nasty very quickly. At least on this thread, I am thankful we have managed to keep the comments relatively balanced, considered and civil. :thumbup:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Except the family is a business, a firm, further, the firm has responsibilities throughout the globe and needs family members / staff to handle those.

To that extent it is shirking those responsibilities.

The ones that need to shape up are the UK popular press.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Thankfully, titles of nobility are not permitted under the US constitution.

Canada is similar, although it is by legislation, rather than in our constitution. For over a century no Canadian citizen has been permitted to have a title of nobility, unlike Britons, Australians and New Zealanders. Conrad Black of Hollinger fame had to give up his Canadian citizenship in order to accept his Lordship.

The only titles of nobility we officially recognize are those directly related to the Canadian Monarchy's line of succession. In Canada, they are more akin to role titles, similar to the titles of President and Vice-President of the United States, and they come with no real property or other income. Any titles that Harry or Meghan have held are recognized here only as courtesy titles held by visiting British citizens who are members of the Royal Family, since they are not (at least yet) Canadian citizens. In that regard only, they are also entitled to certain honours and courtesies that would not be accorded to regular visiting British citizens.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Interesting to hear that you think a discussion of our political system shouldn't be serious, but should be more "fun". In the same spirit, if you want a really "fun" thread, might I suggest that you start a new thread entitled "The Shenanigans of the Family of the Occupant of the Oval Office". Now that could be a "fun" thread with lots of material to work with, too. I would be happy to contribute. :D

However, on this website I unfortunately feel it might become not so much "fun", but rather too "political" and nasty very quickly. At least on this thread, I am thankful we have managed to keep the comments relatively balanced, considered and civil. :thumbup:
Well, the main reason I don’t is that would be against forum rules. The OP, imho, was not asking about your political system. The question was how we feel about a family, Harry and Meghan with their child, giving up their royal duties and becoming financially independent to protect their family. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t believe that will have any impact on your political system. It could have a very positive impact on that family.

But, just so we’re clear, I would be happy to contribute to your thread (on a different forum) right along with you And it sounds like we are of the same opinion on that topic.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your Honor, if I may.

The correct title of the "Jezebel", as I affectionately refer to her, will be debated many times in the years to come. If she does in fact stay married to him that is. There seems to be
more than few sources that debate this. If it pleases the court, I give you the following.

To become a bonafide “princess,” royal protocol dictates that one must either be born the daughter of the sovereign or a prince—or become a prince’s wife, and therefore take his title upon marriage. So, marrying Prince Harry won’t technically make Meghan a true princess. Technically, she holds the title of Princess Henry of Wales, which is derived from her husband—so she is not a princess in her own right, which one can only be born into.

The British public began calling Diana “Princess Diana.” But as Metro reports, Diana herself pointed out that the title wasn’t technically correct. To assume the title of Princess, you have to be born into the royal family. An easy example? Prince William and Kate Middleton’s daughter, Princess Charlotte.
Meghan’s highest title is ‘Duchess of Sussex’
She may have married a prince, but the new Duchess of Sussex will never be Princess Meghan - unless the Queen reverses centuries of tradition.
So what will Meghan's title be now she has married Prince Harry? Her official title is Her Royal Highness Princess Henry of Wales, taken from her husband's name.

Meghan’s full name is Rachel Meghan Markle, but as she is referred to as Meghan in Buckingham Palace’s announcements it is likely she will use this name officially.
However, the 37-year-old actress won't be known as Princess Meghan.
This is due to rules governing the British crown - only those born into the Royal Family can use the title Prince or Princess, followed by their first name.

Therefore, if it pleases the court, let's agree that this woman of easy virtue can be refereed to as whatever one chooses and be neither right or wrong.

Do I think she's a princess? Short answer is no. Long answer is hell no.

Brett

Reaction score
Canada is similar, although it is by legislation, rather than in our constitution. For over a century no Canadian citizen has been permitted to have a title of nobility, unlike Britons, Australians and New Zealanders. Conrad Black of Hollinger fame had to give up his Canadian citizenship in order to accept his Lordship.

The only titles of nobility we officially recognize are those directly related to the Canadian Monarchy's line of succession. In Canada, they are more akin to role titles, similar to the titles of President and Vice-President of the United States, and they come with no real property or other income. Any titles that Harry or Meghan have held are recognized here only as courtesy titles held by visiting British citizens who are members of the Royal Family, since they are not (at least yet) Canadian citizens. In that regard only, they are also entitled to certain honours and courtesies that would not be accorded to regular visiting British citizens.

Well, the main reason I don’t is that would be against forum rules. The OP, imho, was not asking about your political system. The question was how we feel about a family, Harry and Meghan with their child, giving up their royal duties and becoming financially independent to protect their family. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t believe that will have any impact on your political system. It could have a very positive impact on that family.

But, just so we’re clear, I would be happy to contribute to your thread (on a different forum) right along with you And it sounds like we are of the same opinion on that topic.

I don't believe Meghan and Harry or Prince Charley have much to do with legislation and actual passing of laws in Great Britain but at least one of our Canadian friends thinks the royal family is similar to the US executive branch

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I don't believe Meghan and Harry or Prince Charley have much to do with legislation and actual passing of laws in Great Britain but at least one of our Canadian friends thinks the royal family is similar to the US executive branch

It's very tempting to respond to your challenge by making a direct comparison to the functionality of the nepotic administration of the current US executive branch. But I will bite my tongue, since it would definitely cross into an overly political commentary and I really don't want this thread to go there.. So I will let sleeping dogs lie and we can just agree to disagree. :censored:

Hemlock65

Reaction score
Harry and Meghan to lose HRH title!

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This reveals they have had months of conversations about the couple's intentions. I wonder how they will make enough income to retain their lifestyle. Huge speaking fees? Any revenue stream already in place? I don't know how this all works. Jumping into the Hollywood lifestyle seems to negate their wish to have private family time.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
This reveals they have had months of conversations about the couple's intentions. I wonder how they will make enough income to retain their lifestyle. Huge speaking fees? Any revenue stream already in place? I don't know how this all works. Jumping into the Hollywood lifestyle seems to negate their wish to have private family time.

They are worth about 30 million dollars without Royal handouts. That amount should give them a good start to build even more wealth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
With the millions they already have and the contacts they have making more money will be easy. All he has to do is write a book in memory about his mother and how her loss affected him and he will make lots more.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jumping into the Hollywood lifestyle seems to negate their wish to have private family time.
Nothing I have read indicates that they want to "jump into the Hollywood lifestyle" whatever that means.

I have followed this thread from the beginning and am surprised and saddened at many of the comments. We know NOTHING of what their lives must be like. So they are wealthy and of the royal family, but does that mean that they aren't allowed to figure out what will make them happy as well?

To answer the original poster's question "what do you think of Harry and Meghan's decision" I will provide my answer: It appears to me that they have made the decision that it is in the best interest of their family to alter their roles and the expectations of the status quo and have come to an agreement/arrangement with their extended family to do so. Bravo!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are free at last of any royal duties and they have loss all of their Royal titles.

Brett

Reaction score
They are free at last of any royal duties and they have loss all of their Royal titles.

yes, they lose the royal highness part but still retain "Duke and Duchess of Sussex "
And they are trademarking 'SussexRoyal' so it wouldn't be long before there is a Royal Reality TV program

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
yes, they lose the royal highness part but still retain "Duke and Duchess of Sussex "
And they are trademarking 'SussexRoyal' so it wouldn't be long before there is a Royal Reality TV program
No way will they stoop that slow.
James Bond 007, will be called back into service to stop them in their tracks. LOL.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing I have read indicates that they want to "jump into the Hollywood lifestyle" whatever that means.
I only meant that bc acting is her talent. Some people in the public have mentioned it. If they have millions in the bank, great. But he didn't 'earn' that money. If they have plenty of resources now, where did it come from? Even writing a book relies on his fame as a prince. I support their decision. It would be cool if they become another suburban family, but I don't see that. If nothing else, the press would not allow that. People will continue to be interested in them.
From another perspective, how about his cousins? Beatrice and Eugenie, and the others we never hear about. How are they financially and how do they support themselves? Obviously, it is done.

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
From what I read in today's newspaper, they will not "lose" their royal titles; they just may no longer use them. This, in the event they change their minds down the road. Harry will remain a prince and 6th in line to the throne. It seems though that their hope to "have their cake and eat it too," did not pan out as they wished. They had hoped to continue to perform, and be paid for, a few royal duties along with Harry's numerous military appearances, keep their income and security as well as Frogmore Cottage at Windsor as their residence when in England. However, they will not perform royal duties, public or military. They will lose public funds, and be required to pay back the $3.1 million the taxpayers paid to turn Frogmore Cottage at Windsor from a 5 apartment home to a single family home. It will still be their residence when in England. At this point, he has not lost his father's allowance which accounts for most of his income and nothing I have read has mentioned how their security will be handled. They can keep their private patronages and associations which I assume are merchandise related and bring in a lot of money.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I think the main advantage Harry has is he will always be able to tap resources from Papa or Grandma. I am sure he will never be left hurting financially.

On the upside, he can cash in on his notoriety and other commercial ventures.

He’s set for life no matter which direction he goes.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the main advantage Harry has is he will always be able to tap resources from Papa or Grandma. I am sure he will never be left hurting financially.

On the upside, he can cash in on his notoriety and other commercial ventures.

He’s set for life no matter which direction he goes.

He can also fly helicopters and rescue people. He has a talent for that.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish them complete happiness in all their choices. Both seem like lovely, caring people