• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What do you think about Harry and Meghan’s decision?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this thread becoming political or something else?

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
No, it is not. I really don't expect an American to understand the distinction, but an ex-pat Brit should know better. Or did you miss the part where the British Empire ceased to exist? The actual monarch may be the same person, but the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand (and many others in the Commonwealth of Nations) are independent, sovereign nations with separate, distinct monarchies in their own right. Each country has full control of the process and can make its own decisions on the rules of succession and who the head of state will be.

At the moment, it just so happens that in all those countries the Queen is Queen Elizabeth II, because everyone is happy with that arrangement. There is no guarantee that will always be the case, but that is how it is currently. Unlike the USA, we are not looking to change our head of state every four to eight years. We like the stability, consistency and continuity. With respect to Canada, she is the Queen of Canada, or in the case of Australia, the Queen of Australia. She is the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland only insofar as she is dealing with matters concerning the United Kingdom, as she

except for all those pesky prime ministers !
But hey, maybe the US should appoint a ceremonial King and Queen. A royal couple, duchess, prince and princesses to entertain us
(and do important charitable work)

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, it is not. I really don't expect an American to understand the distinction, but an ex-pat Brit should know better. Or did you miss the part where the British Empire ceased to exist? The actual monarch may be the same person, but the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand (and many others in the Commonwealth of Nations) are independent, sovereign nations with separate, distinct monarchies in their own right. Each country has full control of the process and can make its own decisions on the rules of succession and who the head of state will be.

At the moment, it just so happens that in all those countries the Queen is Queen Elizabeth II, because everyone is happy with that arrangement. There is no guarantee that will always be the case, but that is how it is currently. Unlike the USA, we are not looking to change our head of state every four to eight years. We like the stability, consistency and continuity. With respect to Canada, she is the Queen of Canada, or in the case of Australia, the Queen of Australia. She is the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland only insofar as she is dealing with matters concerning the United Kingdom, as she once pointed out to Margaret Thatcher. They are separate legal entities.

It may appear to be a fine legal distinction, but the emphasis in this case is on the term "legal". You don't have to like it, or understand it, or even care about it, but there it is.
Well those are some mighty fine hairs to split, but yes Keating in Australia in 1999 attempted to referend himself from Prime Minister to President. He failed.

I guess I should have started my post with 'today', further I didn't realise my post was meant to be a history of the Royal family and their relationship with the many parts of the Commonwealth.

The point you make is also why Wikipedia neatly lists QEII as Queen of the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms.

And focusing back on Canada, let's not forget Patriation.

Last edited:

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish them well and hope they can work all this out. Like any other family, it is sad when it breaks down. It happens though for a thousand reasons.

I have no clue why they are doing this and/since I don't believe anything I hear or read. They can tell us whatever they want. Hopefully whatever they decide is whatever is best for Harry and his family first.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Daily Show's Trevor Noah reacted to the decision to become financially independent. He wondered where the couple would live in the United States. "I think they'll move to L.A. because Meghan is an actor, right, and she's gonna wanna work again. And then Harry can just join the cast of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills".

The Late Show, host Stephen Colbert Colbert remarked that leaving the royal family will force them to work for an income, which is something they can't currently do as senior members. "This means Meghan Markle can go back to Suits and Harry can sell them at Men's Wearhouse".

:clap:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
The Daily Show's Trevor Noah reacted to the decision to become financially independent. He wondered where the couple would live in the United States. "I think they'll move to L.A. because Meghan is an actor, right, and she's gonna wanna work again. And then Harry can just join the cast of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills".

The Late Show, host Stephen Colbert Colbert remarked that leaving the royal family will force them to work for an income, which is something they can't currently do as senior members. "This means Meghan Markle can go back to Suits and Harry can sell them at Men's Wearhouse".

:clap:

Now, we’re back to this being a fun thread.

Harry - Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
On becoming financially independent, they would have to be careful they were not accused of trading on Royal lineage for income or enabling access to other Royals for compensation. Discussions are underway today in Sandringham.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
On becoming financially independent, they would have to be careful they were not accused of trading on Royal lineage for income or enabling access to other Royals for compensation. Discussions are underway today in Sandringham.
Heck they are planning to monetize their Royal connection. Otherwise why would they trademark Sussex Royal? https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ghan-seek-global-trademark-sussex-royal-brand

If the queen is smart she will have her attorney oppose the trademark.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the queen is smart she will have her attorney oppose the trademark.

Let's see, she served during WWII and knows how to fire a gun. If she's smart, what she needs to do is place Harry across her knee and give him a few whacks. Tell him Harry, this
"Jezebel" wants you for one thing and guess what, it's not your looks. ;)

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Let's see, she served during WWII and knows how to fire a gun. If she's smart, what she needs to do is place Harry across her knee and give him a few whacks. Tell him Harry, this
"Jezebel" wants you for one thing and guess what, it's not your looks. ;)

Oh come on, he’s a man who can take care of himself, smokes weed out in the garden shed and cavorts naked in Vegas with hookers. Then flies helicopters in Afghanistan. He needs to get away from that disfunctional family.

The rumor is she is signing with Disney for voiceover work, Disney got a real princess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The rumor is she is signing with Disney for voiceover work, Disney got a real princess.
Sounds like more than just rumor.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Copy Writing Royal Sussex. This belongs tomthe Crown. What happens if the Queen r3vokes their Titles?

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Copy Writing Royal Sussex. This belongs tomthe Crown. What happens if the Queen r3vokes their Titles?
You mean the television series, The Crown?

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are we writing in code now? :ponder:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
That won't happen, they keep the titles. This is just like what his uncle Andrew did after the recent scandal, stepping back from royal duties.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are we writing in code now? :ponder:

Hmmm, I must have written that one in invisible type. I’ve edited it so we’ll see if it shows up this time. I was actually just trying to lighten the mood a little. I can’t believe how serious this thread got. Jeez!

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I must have written that one in invisible type. I’ve edited it so we’ll see if it shows up this time. I was actually just trying to lighten the mood a little. I can’t believe how serious this thread got. Jeez!

Thanks, I thought either you or I suffered a stroke. :banana:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, I thought either you or I suffered a stroke. :banana:

Actually, I wouldn’t rule that out!

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Obviously the younguns have thought it all through and respect the Queen enough to delay fully withdrawing from Royal life. When Charles becomes King they will cut ties.

They'll have a nice private Canadian life on Vancouver Island. They can live as Canadian millionaires on their own money. Many Royals have made Vancouver area home; Crown Prince of Dubai regularly tweets pics of himself skiing, biking, climbing, zip lining.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
But hey, maybe the US should appoint a ceremonial King and Queen. A royal couple, duchess, prince and princesses to entertain us

Just to clarify, a prime minister is the head of government, not the head of state. The Queen is the head of state. In many republics, such as France and Germany, you also have a separation of the roles, with a president and prime minister (or in Germany's case the Chancellor). The United States is somewhat unusual in western democracies that the roles of both head of government and head of state are combined in the Office of the President.

So The Queen is more than just a "ceremonial" role. It is no different than any other democracy where the head of state is separate from the head of government. She has an actual important constitutional role in the functioning of the government, which is where The Queen spends much of her time. That is aside of course, from when she is busy having to be available for your entertainment. The idea that The Queen is just a ceremonial figurehead that spends her time sitting back and eating cake is mostly an American construct.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thankfully, titles of nobility are not permitted under the US constitution.

Technically, she isn't a princess.

Thank goodness!

Queen ‘Supportive’ of Prince Harry and Meghan’s ‘New Life’

I suspect this was a well crafted response from the Queen, mostly to try to save face and make everything look better than it probably really is inside the walls of the palace.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thankfully, titles of nobility are not permitted under the US constitution.

I suspect this was a well crafted response from the Queen, mostly to try to save face and make everything look better than it probably really is inside the walls of the palace.
My post was also tongue in cheek. I think this thread has become way too serious.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I thought this as well, but when I went to check it out..................

Upon her marriage to Prince Harry, Meghan became a princess of the United Kingdom entitled to the style of Royal Highness, as well as Duchess of Sussex, Countess of Dumbarton and Baroness Kilkeel. She is styled as "Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Sussex", and she is the first person to hold that title.