• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What do you think about Harry and Meghan’s decision?

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Is Harry really happy with this arrangement? I bet that he is feeling torn. Not my monkey, not my circus. The whole monarchy system is outdated. If "The Firm" goes away I wonder how many people will miss it.

According to recent polls, the majority of those of us actually living in constitutional monarchies would miss it. It is a non-political, non-partisan, stable way of passing governance from one party to another after an election and a method for controlling the abuses that could potentially arise under a Prime Minister with a strong majority government. It works for us. Many of the most developed and stable countries today are governed under constitutional monarchies.

Just because some Americans only understand one form of government and don't get it, doesn't invalidate it or make it irrelevant. In fact, even many of those who are ambivalent about the monarchy, currently are somewhat thankful for it. We have clearly seen some of the issues that can arise with republican forms of government in some countries and are grateful for not having those issues to deal with ourselves. Each system has its strengths and weaknesses and it is up to the people to decide under what form they choose to be governed.

Last edited:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Who cares? They are all a bunch of aristocrats who have long outlived their usefulness. For the life of me, I have no idea why the monarchy even exists in this day and age.

Kurt

Really? Thanks for sharing your well-considered opinion on our system of government. In return, I'll just bite my tongue. :p

Last edited:

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Full Disclosure: I'm an American, and the expectation that a 35 year old man should have to consult anyone on matters that they deem to be in the best interest of their family, seems crazy to me.
Not sure how this will all play out, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Princess Diana would be proud of her sons decision.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
They should give up Daddy's Money and pay for their own Security.
I would agree. It seems he is willing to give up the 5% paid for by the British taxpayer, but keep the 95% coming in through is father's estate but not really work for the estate?

I heard the Queen called Prince Harry back to London for a meeting with her, Prince Charles and Prince William.
Have to wait and see.
We were able to visit Buckingham Palace in September, we took a tour of the rooms and had tea at the Grosvenor Hotel. The Royals were in Balmoral so thePalace was open for tours. This was a highlight of our London Trip.
Silentg
We've been to England eight or nine times and 2018 was the first year we were there when Buckingham Palace's State Rooms were open. I booked online many months in advance. It was the highlight of that London Trip. Just stunning.
We went several years ago also and it was great. However, if you notice, all of the people touring there or piled up outside the gates are tourists, mostly foreign tourists. Very few locals.

According to recent polls, the majority of those of us actually living in constitutional monarchies would miss it. It is a non-political, non-partisan, stable way of passing governance from one party to another after an election and a method for controlling the abuses that could potentially arise under a Prime Minister with a strong majority government. It works for us. Many of the most developed and stable countries today are governed under constitutional monarchies.
While polls may support the monarchy now. I suspect that support will take a major hit when Charles takes over the throne.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Full Disclosure: I'm an American, and the expectation that a 35 year old man should have to consult anyone on matters that they deem to be in the best interest of their family, seems crazy to me.
Not sure how this will all play out, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Princess Diana would be proud of her sons decision.

I don't think anyone disputes that, but then he also doesn't need to continue receiving the income from Daddy does he? Assuming he truly wants to act like an adult that is.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Perhaps if you are getting your paycheck from Daddy, some consultation should be expected?

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps if you are getting your paycheck from Daddy, some consultation should be expected?
My understanding is that they plan to be financially independent. I see this as no more than a couple making a decision that they deem to be in the best interest of their family. This is something that most of us have done. I don't claim to know all of the details, but my guess is that he doesn't want to have his wife and child live in a fish bowl, where their every move is scrutinized, and plastered on the daily tabloids for everyone to see. He's taking steps to protect his family. That's what men are supposed to do. I guess it's the American in me, but I can't help but to root for this guy.

I still remember the images of him walking behind his mother's casket. He remembers how she was treated. We all do. He's trying to protect his family. Why? Because that's what real men do.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I say who cares? How does their "royal" lives affect any of us? To me it is the same as Hollywood movie stars. We can't relate to their lives and they can't relate to ours.

Most of us have more important things to be concerned with.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Yes, but none of those women were black. The Washington Post had a good op-ed article today about how that aspect added to the dynamic.

I read of that too this morning. It had never entered my mind. Regardless, I personally believe she knew what to expect on all fronts.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any moment now we should hear the mellow theme and Macdonald Carey in a serious tone proclaim "Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.” :rolleyes:

geekette

Reaction score
I don't think anyone disputes that, but then he also doesn't need to continue receiving the income from Daddy does he? Assuming he truly wants to act like an adult that is.
Lots of adult children of wealthy people toil at little and receive plenty of Daddy's dough. If it's not My money, it's not my call.

Let's not forget that this guy also served in the military and his wife had a lucrative career. These aren't people that sat around all their lives in velvet robes having their feet washed by servants.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
My understanding is that they plan to be financially independent. I see this as no more than a couple making a decision that they deem to be in the best interest of their family. This is something that most of us have done. I don't claim to know all of the details, but my guess is that he doesn't want to have his wife and child live in a fish bowl, where their every move is scrutinized, and plastered on the daily tabloids for everyone to see. He's taking steps to protect his family. That's what men are supposed to do. I guess it's the American in me, but I can't help but to root for this guy.

I still remember the images of him walking behind his mother's casket. He remembers how she was treated. We all do. He's trying to protect his family. Why? Because that's what real men do.
I don't disagree. Though if reports are right, he likely isn't going about it the right way. You can go your own way without alienating those around you.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
This whole story is reminiscent of my first timeshare presentation.

From Macbeth, written by a pretty great Brit,
“It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.”

With the exception of those from the British Commonwealth, who as has been noted, are perhaps effected directly or indirectly by questions of succession of the leadership of their Constitutional Monarchy, it is typical instance of children of wealthy families deciding on a different course for their lives.

Cheers

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
I really couldn't care much less WHAT they do. Although our British, and to a lesser extent Canadian, cousins are affected and therefore involved/interested, I really don't understand the apparent American preoccupation with the British Royal Family.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be in favor of Harry as governor general (the queens formal representation in Canada). Its a royal type job that requires living in Canada not the UK, and the Canadian press will be much more discreet and polite than the UK version.

Also, from a Constitutional perspective it makes it less likely that the power of that office ever gets used, which I think is generally a good thing. I think he's probably at least as qualified for a ceremonial role as the average CBC reporter...

I also think having a multicultural family of immigrants to Canada as the GG/consort fits Canada's self image. Although it wouldn't be the first time that has been true, as Michaelle Jean was born in Haiti while her husband was born in France.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Speculating here, with an admitted lack of knowledge about how the whole situation works: Is it possible Harry is saying this now, while his Grandmother is still in charge? Might it be more difficult to step away from things once his Father takes over? I know there are a lot of rules and ways things happen, and who will do what, and so forth. At first look, the timing of Harry's announcement seems a bit premature, or at minimum, ill considered, at least to hit the press as it did. But maybe there is reasoning behind the scenes we don't know about. Regardless, I'll be curious to see how it all plays out.

As to the American fascination with the Royals, all I can do is respond as one who woke up to the shocking news of Princess Diana's death, and who watched the aftermath of all of that. Wills and Harry kind of grew up as sons of the world. I think of them the same as I might long-distance nephews. I've been interested in the life choices they made, and how they have become as adults. This announcement from Harry isn't completely unexpected, given his level of independence as a person. His life has been led very differently than his Father's life.

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I wonder if Princes Charles and William (as well as the Queen) may have been a bit miffed that they had time to discuss it will Elton John but not anyone in the family.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I wonder if Princes Charles and William (as well as the Queen) may have been a bit miffed that they had time to discuss it will Elton John but not anyone in the family.
If you bothered to read anything you'd find out that the family was aware of their plans. What the Queen was upset about was the timing of the announcement.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If you bothered to read anything you'd find out that the family was aware of their plans. What the Queen was upset about was the timing of the announcement.

Thanks for the insult. Actually I have read every story on BBC and FOX.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks for the insult. Actually I have read every story on BBC and FOX.
Sorry. I should know better than to comment without knowing the full story.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I can understand they want to live in Canada . . . it's a nice place.
I also read they planned to live in Los Angeles. We'll probably never know for sure until they make a final decision.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just because some Americans only understand one form of government and don't get it, doesn't invalidate it or make it irrelevant. In fact, even many of those who are ambivalent about the monarchy, currently are somewhat thankful for it. We have clearly seen some of the issues that can arise with republican forms of government in some countries and are grateful for not having those issues to deal with ourselves. Each system has its strengths and weaknesses and it is up to the people to decide under what form they choose to be governed.
Excellent post. Americans don't have to be so judgmental on how another county operates. Every nation does not have to be identical to ours. Goodness, we have enough problems of our own. I enjoy BBC programs and Netflix series and documentaries on the royal families. There is great loyalty and sacrifice to keeping the system going. Times change. Royal practices have too, by necessity. The Brits and worldwide subjects are the only ones who matter in this current drama. Americans' opinions on the monarchy are irrelevant.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Excellent post. Americans don't have to be so judgmental on how another county operates. Every nation does not have to be identical to ours. Goodness, we have enough problems of our own. I enjoy BBC programs and Netflix series and documentaries on the royal families. There is great loyalty and sacrifice to keeping the system going. Times change. Royal practices have too, by necessity. The Brits and worldwide subjects are the only ones who matter in this current drama. Americans' opinions on the monarchy are irrelevant.
I agree with everything you said, well, except the part about enjoying programs about the royal family. However, the OP specifically asked our opinions about the current drama. So, although they are irrelevant, it would have been rude not to answer his/her question.