• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What do you think about Harry and Meghan’s decision?

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
He knew his obligations and the positive and negatives that his life brought. Was she so naive she didn’t realize what she was in for? I wish for both of them, they made the decision before they married.

I wish them well. Financial independence shouldn’t be too hard for them with their contacts and high profile.

My thoughts exactly. It's called celebrity. She already was one but adding royalty it became even more magnified. She knew what his mother went through. Surely she knew what so many others have been through. I think of Grace Kelly, Fergie and Kate. Megan had to know what to expect. I think it's sad that she appears to be pulling brothers and family apart. This should have been discussed with all prior to marriage.

They may do as they please and I wish them well but the British taxpayers shouldn't pay for it.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Canada does not have a law of royal succession. When the British modernized their law, Canada didn't follow suit because of the perennial aversion to reopening the Constitution. We simply say that whoever holds the office of British monarch is automatically, ex officio, our monarch, And what that means is that anyone who is not the British monarch doesn't have any clear legal status in Canada anymore."
So as far as I see it, if they want to live in Canada, they would have to apply to immigrate to Canada just like anyone else. But if they were will to invest very heavily in Canada, by starting a business and employing Canadians there is a possibility that they could jump the queue in immigrating to Canada. Or since they have money they could just live in Canada for 6 months and then 6 months in the UK.
We also do not recognize titles in Canada. So in the UK Harry would be Prince Harry, but in Canada he would be just Harry.
Their decision opens up a whole can of worms as to who pays for their security. But since Harry wants to live as a regular person, he would have to cover his own security. That could pose additional difficulties, since private security guards and bodyguards in Canada are generally not permitted under federal law to carry sidearms.
I would not want to be in their shoes.

WARNING: Below follows a short treatise on Canadian constitutional law, particularly as to how it applies to the laws of succession for the Monarchy of Canada. If you think this will bore you to death, at least you have been warned!!

Chrisky, that is factually incorrect. Canada does have a law of succession and always has had. It was originally laid out in the British North America Act, 1867 (now the Constitution Act, 1867) and subsequently recognized in the Statute of Westminster of 1931 and the Constitution Act, 1982.

Your comments are correct only insofar as the rules have mirrored those of the UK and the other Commonwealth realms. The fact that they mirror and refer to legislation in the UK does not mean they do not exist, nor that we do not have control of and the ability to change the rules. The Supreme Court of Canada has upheld the legal right of the Parliament of Canada to change the rules without a constitutional amendment, since they already form part of our constitution.

The first time we passed a change to the rules of succession in Canada's own right, again in concert with the other Commonwealth realms, was under the authority of the 1931 Statute of Westminster. When Edward VIII abdicated in 1936, the Parliament of Canada passed the Succession to the Throne Act, 1937. It recognized the Act of Abdication by Edward VIII and proclaimed George VI as monarch.

The most recent change was passed by the Parliament of Canada under the Succession to the Throne Act, 2013. It changed the rule of primogeniture to recognize the first-born child of the monarch, without regard to sex. This was again done in concert with both the UK and the other Commonwealth realms to avoid a potential constitutional mess if we all had different rules and then ended up with different monarchs.

Also under Canadian protocol and heritage rules, HM The Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William all have personal Canadian Royal Standards and Royal Salutes, unique from their British equivalents, for when they are either physically present in Canada or performing duties as part of the Monarchy of Canada. Prince Harry has no such formal recognition, only getting a standard salute. I was going to cite the actual legislation, but Wikipedia actually does a really good job of it in more layman's terms.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I'm not impressed my celebrities of any sort - actors, sports stars, politicians etc. I will simply never understand why anyone cares at all. I have noticed a lot of articles about them (H &M) but have only ever read the headlines so I don't understand the fuss.

As my kids and their friends say "you do you" and that would be my thoughts on what they should do...whatever works for them. That said I don't think that taxpayers should ever have to pay for security. That's a downside of celebrity, hopefully there are enough upsides to offset it but the responsibility lies with the public figure, imo.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I heard the Queen called Prince Harry back to London for a meeting with her, Prince Charles and Prince William.
Have to wait and see.
We were able to visit Buckingham Palace in September, we took a tour of the rooms and had tea at the Grosvenor Hotel. The Royals were in Balmoral so thePalace was open for tours. This was a highlight of our London Trip.
Silentg

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I pray Harry and Meghan will return to the Royal Family.
Because, the real world can be and will be very ugly to them without the protection of the Royal Family...IMHO.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I heard the Queen called Prince Harry back to London for a meeting with her, Prince Charles and Prince William.
Have to wait and see.
We were able to visit Buckingham Palace in September, we took a tour of the rooms and had tea at the Grosvenor Hotel. The Royals were in Balmoral so thePalace was open for tours. This was a highlight of our London Trip.
Silentg
Does that mean she asked him to come back or she ordered him to come back? If the latter, I now understand and fully support them stepping away from their royal duties. They are adults with fully functioning brains and a child of their own. They should do what they believe is best for their family.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
I think she told him to comeback. Must be a protocol to exiting, can’t just leave.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think she told him to comeback. Must be a protocol to exiting, can’t just leave.
I’m not a citizen of the British Commonwealth so I’m not familiar with their protocol. I am an adult and I know if someone tells/orders me to do something, it most likely won’t be done. It’s one of the main reasons I love being retired.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
But it’s the Royal Family, not just an ordinary Grandma request, obviously you don’t say no to the Crown

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Apparently Mehgan has given up on becoming a British Citizen. A person living in Britain and intending on applying for British Citizenship can not spend more than 90 days outside of Britain in any 12 month time period.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But it’s the Royal Family, not just an ordinary Grandma request, obviously you don’t say no to the Crown

Actually, I think that is exactly what they are doing. They may change their mind but that is what their announcement did.

Harry - Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if Harry wants to become a private citizen, there needs to be a transition. He has his work duties, whatever they are, and a transition plan needs to be put in place for someone else to pick them up. It is not unreasonable to want him back in Britain to iron out transition issues. The biggest issue with their announcement is that it is not clean cut as to what he will be doing. It is so wishy washy which means having to figure out what he wants to do or not, and whether it is acceptable to the Crown.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Thank God! Free to live the life he wants. If you remember him walking behind his mothers coffin you'll know it was destined.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Have to wait and see.
Silentg

We've been to England eight or nine times and 2018 was the first year we were there when Buckingham Palace's State Rooms were open. I booked online many months in advance. It was the highlight of that London Trip. Just stunning.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I’m not a citizen of the British Commonwealth so I’m not familiar with their protocol. I am an adult and I know if someone tells/orders me to do something, it most likely won’t be done. It’s one of the main reasons I love being retired.

Well that works when you're retired. I can just imagine how that would have worked if you had responded that way to your boss when you were working. Especially after you told him/her that you were quitting but still wanted to be paid 95% of your income! :wall::doh:

All of their current income comes from either the British taxpayer or from the Crown, even if it is indirectly through his father, Prince Charles. They said that they wanted to become "financially independent", but still expected to receive the 95% of their income that they receive through Prince Charles. Under those circumstances, I think HM The Queen and Prince Charles have a right to "request" (using the polite term) that Harry return to London to discuss it.

Or, Harry and Meghan can do what the rest of us do when we don't like our job or our location. Either suck it up or quit, give up the pay, and find something else to do that we are happier doing. And if they choose the latter, they will certainly have my full support and best wishes. Seems like a pretty logical and normal decision to me. :shrug:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well that works when you're retired. I can just imagine how that would have worked if you had responded that way to your boss when you were working. Especially after you told him/her that you were quitting but still wanted to be paid 95% of your income! :wall::doh:

All of their current income comes from either the British taxpayer or from the Crown, even if it is indirectly through his father, Prince Charles. They said that they wanted to become "financially independent", but still expected to receive the 95% of their income that they receive through Prince Charles. Under those circumstances, I think HM The Queen and Prince Charles have a right to "request" (using the polite term) that Harry return to London to discuss it.

Or, Harry and Meghan can do what the rest of us do when we don't like our job or our location. Either suck it up or quit, give up the pay, and find something else to do that we are happier doing. And if they choose the latter, they will certainly have my full support and best wishes. Seems like a pretty logical and normal decision to me. :shrug:
You’re right but my job was 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for most of my life, not 24/7/365 for my entire life. I don’t understand the purpose of the monarchy in today’s world. But that’s ok. We Americans have enough problems of our own. We don’t need to be trying to solve Great Britain’s.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I agree with the sentiment up thread, "let them do them". Royal or semi-royal, I'll read about what they are doing in People magazine or watch on Entertainment Tonight because I like them. I wonder if "The Firm" will give Princess Beatrice extra duties. If a terrorist attack takes out William and his brood in one fell swoop, and if Harry removes himself and presumably baby Archie from the line of succession, and with Andrew in such deep doo-doo I doubt he would ever be allowed to ascend the thrown, that leaves his eldest daughter in line after Charles. Terrible thought, but I bet they have someone whose job it is to think the unthinkable and plan for all the possibilities.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the sentiment up thread, "let them do them". Royal or semi-royal, I'll read about what they are doing in People magazine or watch on Entertainment Tonight because I like them. I wonder if "The Firm" will give Princess Beatrice extra duties. If a terrorist attack takes out William and his brood in one fell swoop, and if Harry removes himself and presumably baby Archie from the line of succession, and with Andrew in such deep doo-doo I doubt he would ever be allowed to ascend the thrown, that leaves his eldest daughter in line after Charles. Terrible thought, but I bet they have someone whose job it is to think the unthinkable and plan for all the possibilities.
You forgot Prince Edward. Prince Edward and Sophie have 3 kids.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I understand both of them wanting out of “ society”. One would get tired of being under the microscope 24/7. Remember as a child the constant talk about Prince Charles not being his father. The constant harassment of his Mom, Princess Diana. And then the eventual death of his mother. His “missteps” always making the scandal sheets. These affected Harry and now he wants his own piece of happiness w/ his family. I honestly think he purposely chose to marry outside of The Society that judge him soo harshly. Nothing wrong w/ that.

And honestly I believe info was leaked so everything was rushed.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
They met in Canada - they are coming to Canada / because her best friend(s) reside here .
This falls under the one primary rule of male married life :

Happy Wife / Happy Life .

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They met in Canada - they are coming to Canada / because her best friend(s) reside here .
This falls under the one primary rule of male married life :

Happy Wife / Happy Life .
Is Harry really happy with this arrangement? I bet that he is feeling torn. Not my monkey, not my circus. The whole monarchy system is outdated. If "The Firm" goes away I wonder how many people will miss it.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Don't they still have the tradition to pick a male over a female?

Nope. That changed in 2013 in all Commonwealth realms, including the UK, with the change in the primogeniture rules to delete any reference to the sex of the successor. So if a female is born first, she now is first-in-line for succession to the throne.