• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG is asking for recent reviews of older resorts, earn a free year membership!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $18,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $18 Million dollars
  • We would love it if you would take a few minutes to participate in our Timeshare Survey Here there is no need to register or sign up for anything, just answer the questions online! We hope this survey will provide some fascinating answers to questions about Timesharing!
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 50,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What do you pack for your timeshare stays...

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
- only Florida thats why I am trying to figure out a second box to keep here in the garage for other locations.

Whats to "figure out"? If you like what they are delivering to you in their box, just copy cat it...

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club DC Points
Marriott Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott Cypress Harbour
Marriott Harbour Lake
Crown Paradise Club
We travel to Hilton Head and Florida for extended stays via car at least twice a year from here in Baltimore. Our packing list includes:

Kitchen: KitchenAid containers (trying hard to have different lids than the ones there), Cutco knives, a good small frying pan, cutting board, olive oil, spices, and some dry goods (cereal, mac and cheese), pizza pan, and whatever is in our fridge (milk, fruit, eggs) in a cold bag; might bring some wine down
Office: portable desk (maybe not needed as most resorts have one we've discovered), 24" monitor, speakers, web cam, power strips (one for regular plugs and one for USB power chargers)
Living/Exercise: My road bike, fluid bike trainer, small fan, Roku, yoga mats, small dumbbells, small suitcase for overnight stops, tablet for workout videos, sometimes golf clubs

We have some of that stuff permanently in a box, the rest we just grab the night before. We get all of that plus our clothes, etc. into a Mazda CX-5 (with a bike rack) without much trouble, though it's like a jigsaw puzzle making it fit and be able to keep driver vision in the mirrors.

For flying, I'm going to assume I'm not working and we'll take most of the "Kitchen" section and not the rest.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whats to "figure out"? If you like what they are delivering to you in their box, just copy cat it...
Believe me when I say that the more I read this thread the more there is a definite possibility on the way to Key West I just pick up the owners locker in Orlando and just cancel the service. Having used my 2023 DVC points allotment for Anaheim.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
@Nowaker we love our Owners Locker too. They deliver to most of the TS and hotels in the Orlando area (although not to the Universal Orlando hotels), so we’ve had it at Silver Lake and Bonnet Creek as well as WDW DVC resorts. The annual fee we pay includes one delivery/pickup round trip a year, with additional ones being $27.50 each, but they offer other plans that include more trips each year. Having one means all I need to pack are clothes because everything else is on the OL.

When packing for a TS trip elsewhere I use the list of items stored in our OL as a guide, but unfortunately the tub is so big that we can’t bring everything in it everywhere else - it would fill a large suitcase, and DH doesn’t want to deal with an extra piece of luggage. So if we drive we can bring more, if we fly we have to deal with what the TS provides.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I only drive...so I can pack quite a bit. I bring a pizza pan and pizza cutter. (I travel with teenagers who love to make a pizza on vacation!) A muffin tin and cupcake liners. Assorted plastic containers for leftovers. A non stick skillet. We buy our groceries on the first full day...but the first supper is generally pancakes, so pancake mix is a must. (And then, leftovers serve as breakfast, which means Mama can sleep in!) I'm getting ready for the first trip of summer...you reminded me that I need to check "the timeshare box" to see that it's stocked and ready!

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We prefer "drive-to" vacationing because we can pack so much in our vehicle. I can't say that we bring very much unusual except sometimes we'll bring steaks, salad fixings and red wine. I also bring a BBQ lighter, spices, olive oil, coffee filters, a 2# can of ground coffee, liquor, yogurt, cereal, Fairlife milk, etc. Many of these things we could pick up at our end destination but I often buy things on sale plus it is nice to not to have to go to the grocery store right away.

But if we're flying somewhere, we pack very lightly. And "provision up" once we arrive.
We can go for three weeks with a roll aboard and personal item when flying. Driving we look like the Sultan’s caravan. No need to carefully plan clothing, 8 pairs of shoes can be tossed in a canvas bag, lots of groceries, more books than we’ll ever read, etc. That becomes problematic for me if we are visiting AZ & NM because I’ve never met a museum store or southwest tchotchke place I didn’t like, so fitting everything in to come home is a challenge!

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
there is a definate difference if I drive or fly and we tend not to be away for more than a week.

But, some of the non-food/toiletry things that are always packed no matter our plans:

Sheets of foil, already torn and folded into a square
Assortment of zip lock storage bags
Plastic storage containers - filled with splenda, coffee, spices, small bottle of olive oil, and whatever condiment packs I have around the house.
Coffee filters - cone and basket size
Tervis for coffee in the morning and cold drinks during the day
deck of cards & pen/pencil
Multi port USB charger
A small non stick fry pan for eggs (I call resorts and ask if they have first)
Laundry detergent pods, dryer sheets and a couple dishwasher tabs
Cleaning wipes for things like kitchen counter and stove
Can of lysol
bug spray (mosquito)
hand sanitizer
and the latest addition....At home covid tests & a few surgical masks

black binder clips, no - but can be used to clip the curtains together in the bedroom if the sunlight peeks in where they meet. A closet hanger with clips can do the same.

Last week I watched a couple unload their small SUV when they arrived at a resort we were at. The back was filled with Mic Ultra cases all neatly stacked. My first thought was boy, they really like beer, then I realized most of them were packing boxes for their items. Worked out well for them. I supose if you don't drink beer you could get banana boxes from the grocer!

Have fund on your adventure!

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I only drive...so I can pack quite a bit. I bring a pizza pan and pizza cutter. (I travel with teenagers who love to make a pizza on vacation!) A muffin tin and cupcake liners. Assorted plastic containers for leftovers. A non stick skillet. We buy our groceries on the first full day...but the first supper is generally pancakes, so pancake mix is a must. (And then, leftovers serve as breakfast, which means Mama can sleep in!) I'm getting ready for the first trip of summer...you reminded me that I need to check "the timeshare box" to see that it's stocked and ready!

Ha Ha - I'm sure it helps that you drive a small bus ;) But, then again you stacked it with the family and there probably wasn't alot of room left for "other" stuff. Please report back on Acushney, been a resort I have kept an eye on!

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
it depends on whether im driving or not...
Same here.

When I take the car, I grossly overpack.

When I fly Southwest, I moderately overpack — 2 checked bags + carry-on + personal item.

When I fly United, etc., I pack sanely — 1 carry-on + personal item.

When I fly Spirit, Frontier, etc., I pack in survival mode — personal item only.

— Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess we overdo it. Usually driving a Suburban. Keurig coffee maker and coffee, small air fryer. colored Cusinart sharp knives. Foils and plastic bags, Cutting board sounds good. Clips, meat thermometer, seasonings, wine opener, hot/cold mug. Maybe beach chairs. Major photography gear and laptop. Dishwasher and laundry soap.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
- thank you, my kids think I am nuts that I will not use the beat up non-stick frying pans - I have a small stainless set we use at the parks -
Yeah, some of those fry pans at DVC look like they’ve been there since 1997. We always check the inventory and if we are missing an item or the fry pans are awful, we call housekeeping and they bring what we need within a couple of hours.
And I can’t imagine paying $39 for airfare!!
@clifffaith you cracked me up about packing the car! National Lampoons Vacation!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
i read in an earlier thread that the binder clips are to join the curtains together to keep out the light so sleeping is easier.
I saw an image of a person using one of those wooden pants hangers (that most timeshares have - - the ones that clip to the pant cuffs) for the same purpose.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Believe me when I say that the more I read this thread the more there is a definite possibility on the way to Key West I just pick up the owners locker in Orlando and just cancel the service. Having used my 2023 DVC points allotment for Anaheim.
Key West? Why didn't you say so in the first place?

If you search, you'll find my list of restaurants (and a gas station) you must visit for food. Here's the list: El Siboney, the Original Conch Fritter Stand, Alabama Jack's -- MAKE SURE OF THIS. Not only will you get a good meal, you avoid the worst part of the drive to the Keys this way. Dion's Quik Stop gas station for the best fried chicken. Sandy's Cafe for a con leche and a cheese toast every morning (without fail -- this is one of the things you get every single day). And then Fishbusterz on Stock Island for your fresh fish.

The kitchens at the Hyatt aren't horrible. You won't *want* for anything. But a really good pan won't suck. A very sharp knife (preferably a filet knife) won't suck either.

I'd be going straight for the grouper, hogfish and snapper -- and hit Fausto's food market for some packets of yellow rice (and black beans) to go with.

Go to El Siboney first for "this is how things should taste in Key West" lessons.

For libations, in order of awesomeness: The Green Parrot, Hog's Breath, Schooner Wharf

Inhislove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same here.

When I take the car, I grossly overpack.

When I fly Southwest, I moderately overpack — 2 checked bags + carry-on + personal item.

When I fly United, etc., I pack sanely — 1 carry-on + personal item.

When I fly Spirit, Frontier, etc., I pack in survival mode — personal item only.

— Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​
Me too! However, purchasing the 14x18x8 underseater for spirit and frontier helped me realize that the kids can handle packing those every trip. Much easier to puzzle together than big suitcases, even when driving.

And don't forget that Allegiant is 7 x 15 x 16...no standard underseater size, apparently.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We use to pack many things. Scuba gear, fishing gear, golf bag, surf boards, umbrella's , guitar, Tommy Bahama chairs, ebikes, boats, motorcycles, Jeeps and pretty much anything depending on what we plan to do. Some fly to destination we had so much stuff that we did use a few times. It took years but I'm finally a need nothing with a carry on for most fly to trips. Drive to destinations is when we usually bring our toys. Last trip was the boat and fishing gear. We caught alot of Kokes and a couple of Macs on a RCI getaway 2 bed unit.

Bill

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Nowaker we love our Owners Locker too. They deliver to most of the TS and hotels in the Orlando area (although not to the Universal Orlando hotels), so we’ve had it at Silver Lake and Bonnet Creek as well as WDW DVC resorts. The annual fee we pay includes one delivery/pickup round trip a year, with additional ones being $27.50 each, but they offer other plans that include more trips each year. Having one means all I need to pack are clothes because everything else is on the OL.

When packing for a TS trip elsewhere I use the list of items stored in our OL as a guide, but unfortunately the tub is so big that we can’t bring everything in it everywhere else - it would fill a large suitcase, and DH doesn’t want to deal with an extra piece of luggage. So if we drive we can bring more, if we fly we have to deal with what the TS provides.
- yup that’s exactly it box would take up most of my car. trying to figure out a paired down version

Yeah, some of those fry pans at DVC look like they’ve been there since 1997. We always check the inventory and if we are missing an item or the fry pans are awful, we call housekeeping and they bring what we need within a couple of hours.
And I can’t imagine paying $39 for airfare!!
@clifffaith you cracked me up about packing the car! National Lampoons Vacation!
Lol and the price is up. Pre Covid $25, during $19 R/T!
I know a lot of people cringe @ the thought of flying Frontier yet, they have become my go-to For Orland. Since we moved out of New York s few years back Southwest out of Nashville is more expensive than AA 1st class half the time and there reliability SUCKS. Frontier cheap fares show up fairly often to typical short hop tourist destination, Orland, Vegas ect but are usually at the 8 week mark. They are also the reason I am dependent on the owners .. locker have learned to pack everything I need clothing wise for a long weekend in a backpack.

3FFB7132-FCC9-4E2E-B8EE-84C512D95D02.jpeg

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
The two weirdest things that I have brought on a "drive-to" vacation is (1) a microwave (to a hotel that didn't offer a microwave) so that I could make popcorn and (2) Vegetable seedlings that needed a few more days of daily watering and TLC before being transplanted in either my garden or greenhouse.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The two weirdest things that I have brought on a "drive-to" vacation is (1) a microwave (to a hotel that didn't offer a microwave) so that I could make popcorn and (2) Vegetable seedlings that needed a few more days of daily watering and TLC before being transplanted in either my garden or greenhouse.
You must like popcorn. I get it. I use to take 5 pounds of rice and a rice cooker in our checked bag. The thing that got us taken aside by foreign security at the airport was a Bubba knife for filleting fish. I'm not sure why a knife in our checked bag was a problem. The blade was only 9 inches but with the handle it might be about 14 inches long. They did let me keep it. This was at Grand Cayman.

Bill

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Costa de Oro, Mazatlán (2 weeks); Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
OMG! I travel the total opposite of most people. I have a 35 liter backpack. I pack about 5 shirts, socks, underwear, a pair of pants and shorts, sometimes (rarely) I have two pair of shoes (including the ones on my feet). I have my meds, ID, toiletries, and a microfiber towel. I bring my ipad and a kindle I hardly ever use. If weather is hot I bring a fun little fabric thing you get wet and then use to evaporative cool your body - works great to get to sleep. I do laundry wherever I am - if there's no laundry available, I wash them in the shower - oh, and I hang them on three little foldable hangers I pack too ;) That's it! Can you tell I hate checking in luggage? Lol.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
But, some of the non-food/toiletry things that are always packed no matter our plans:

Sheets of foil, already torn and folded into a square
I bring everything on your list except foil. Had never thought of packing a few sheets folded up. Great idea.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Usually way too much, but I use 90% of it. Every trip it seems I pack something that I don't end up using. This past trip it was my beach tent. It was too windy to use it. In Hawaii it was my pool float papasan chair, same reason too windy to use it.

Kitchen supplies (spices, knives, pizza cutter, foil sheets, ziplock bags, digital meat thermometer( that conveniently has a bottle opener), collapsible beverage jug that holds 5 quarts, silicone mat to use in convection microwave, silicone glow-in-the-dark stemless wine glasses to use with the collapsible beverage jug at the pool ;))

I also take an old fashion Garmin GPS. Works great when cell service is spotty or if someplace you don't have cell service. I also have a hiking Garmin, harder to get lost and it's fun to see where you hiked.

On our few driving vacays took along growlers so DH could bring home some local beer.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Ha Ha - I'm sure it helps that you drive a small bus ;) But, then again you stacked it with the family and there probably wasn't alot of room left for "other" stuff. Please report back on Acushney, been a resort I have kept an eye on!
A Ford Explorer...which doesn't hold as much as the Yukon I had before. But yes, I pack it to the gills. ;)