• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What different free gifts are given at different resorts?

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we stayed at Canyon Villas we received a free pool bag which has come in handy. We're using it here at SurfWatch to carry things in the bike basket. At Ocean Pointe we got the lotion.

Nothing offered at SurfWatch.

How about freebies from other resorts?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
At Ocean Pionte we have received MVCI t-shirts and bottles of lotion. Think we got a t-shirt at Grande Vista once also. Thus we have two meduim t-shirts that don't fit.

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
At Grand Chateau we got a bag, maybe a computer bag, (it is still in the plastic bag) with their logo. We had forgotten they had said we'd get a free gift in addition to the points, so it was a surprise when they handed it over at the end of the presentation.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Way back when we bought at SurfWatch we got 4 beach towels, 4 refillable mugs and a big canvas bag. The towels are beautiful, more like beach blankets they're so oversized and heavy, with the SW logo embroidered on one end. They're so big the four of them make up one large load in my washing machine, and they're still in great shape all these years later. (Sheesh, didn't expect to ever gush about them here!)

We've only done a couple other formal presentations and didn't get any gifts for those.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We don't generally get the gift for a presentation, the gifts are now to lure you to talk to someone so they can talk you in to signing up for a presentation. They call this a welcome gift, but it is really just a trap.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't generally get the gift for a presentation, the gifts are now to lure you to talk to someone so they can talk you in to signing up for a presentation. They call this a welcome gift, but it is really just a trap.

"Gimmicks get gimmick results". That's a quote I heard way back in the '70's. It's not a trap if you're not trapped. ;)

Yes, these are the freebies I was asking about. The "welcome" gifts. Not the gifts they give when purchasing.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
"Gimmicks get gimmick results". That's a quote I heard way back in the '70's. It's not a trap if you're not trapped. ;)

Yes, these are the freebies I was asking about. The "welcome" gifts. Not the gifts they give when purchasing.

They used to give out "welcome" gifts? Like, when you checked in you got a goodie bag?! I remember our first few years, when we'd first get into the units there would be a little pile of stuff on the kitchen counters with single-serving cookies and snacks like that, but don't remember anything at check-in except the leis at Waiohai.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yep. When we checked in at Grande Vista, we were told to go to the concierge for our "free gift". I knew it was a "come on", but my sister, who was new to the timeshare business, thought it would be something worthwhile and encouraged me to go. I went a couple of days later when we had our "rainy day; do whatever you want" day. Sure enough I got a sales pitch to go to a presentation, but I did walk away with a bright blue MVC tote bag. :)

My sister will never encourage me to go again. ;)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
They used to give out "welcome" gifts? Like, when you checked in you got a goodie bag?! I remember our first few years, when we'd first get into the units there would be a little pile of stuff on the kitchen counters with single-serving cookies and snacks like that, but don't remember anything at check-in except the leis at Waiohai.

At Ocean Pointe when you checkin they give you a little card to take to the concierge for your "welcome gift". You then proceed to do a 180 degree turn and walk 15 feet and hand the card to the concierge for your "welcome gift" and welcome attend presentation solicitation. I think our last two visits have been a bottle of lotion.

Grande Vista was the same deal, a little card to go over across the lobby to claim your free gift and solicitation.

Those other welcome packs of mostly product samples were actually kind of nice. Not sure why they got rid of those. They should be able to get most of those free product samples for free from the companies that make them.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Over the years we have gotten tote bags, decks of cards, hats/visors, lotions, small soft-sided coolers, and I think a t-shirt or two. The "value" of these gifts has definitely declined. They do try to get you to do a presentation when you go to pick the gift up, but we have no problem saying no, so we usually take what they offer. Most of the time we get some use out of the items.

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
As far as gifts when we arrived, the leis they used to have at Waiohai (and still do at Maui Ocean Club) and a bottle of Spanish wine at Playa Andaluza and Marbella are the only things I remember. Oh, and a great Mojito at Phuket while we relaxed in that gorgeous open air lobby filling out the info they needed to check us in. Other places, we have received a bottle of water, but I think Phuket has the right idea!

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
We were handed one of those cards to see the concierge for a welcome gift when we checked in here at BeachPlace on Sunday. I dropped it in my bag and forgot about it. Judging from a number of blue MVCI tote bags (reusable grocery bags) I saw at the pool Monday, I'm guessing that's what they're giving out here.

The message light has been blinking on our phone since we arrived, but I haven't listened to the message. I'm guessing they called to invite us to a presentation? We're not Marriott owners so I am curious to find out what incentive they'd offer us for attending a presentation. Just not sure I want to waste the time going. ;)

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
It doesn't seem like all the resorts give them anymore. We liked the blue tote bag from BPT--it went into our pile for our next trip to Hawaii.

For the Hawaii "uninitiated", many stores in Hawaii are very "green" and do not give you bags, paper or plastic. If you buy items you take them in the cart to your car! So we collect any freebie bags we get and take them with us to HI, leaving them to someone else when we depart.

Pens_Fan

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a small soft sided cooler at OceanWatch this past February.