• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What coffee maker to buy?

sandcastles

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've decided I've got to buy a new coffee maker today and I'm very picky with my coffee.

Right now I have a Capresso with a built in grinder that I have always liked. There is something wrong with the digital read out on the maker. You set it for the amount of cups you want and the strength. You can't see the readout to know what you are setting if for. I play with it and get it set where I want it and then the power goes out (happens a lot around here with all our trees and overhead lines) and I start all over again.

I see the Cuisinart grind and brew advertised a lot and it is pretty reasonable priced. Has anybody got it? What about the thermal carafe? Would it be better to just buy a grinder? Thought about that but it would just take up more room on the counter and it's so easy to just hit a button and not have to measure.

Advice please?

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Keep It Simple.

Advice please?
Bottom-line no frills el cheapo generic Mr. Coffee style coffee maker -- $20 tops at fine stores such as Wal*Mart, Kmart, Target, etc.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Coffeemakers with thermal pots are a pain because the coffee is never really hot enough (for me, anyway). The coffee goes straight into the cold pot and so it's lukewarm when you go to drink it. To have hot coffee, you have to warm the pot with hot water first. I did this for a few years with a really challenging GE maker that was kind of expensive, and finally I couldn't stand it and got rid of the stupid thing.

I think the reviews on the Cuisinart Grind and Brew are pretty poor over on Amazon. I know Amazon often has that one on sale for a really low price in their outlet--that's why I've read the reviews! :whoopie:

Now I'm like Alan. I buy a cheap Procter-Silex or Mr. Coffee when they're on sale at the drugstore or the grocery store, and when they break, I get another. I am very picky about my coffee, and I find that if I use good-quality coffee, the coffee that comes out of my $12 coffeemaker is very good indeed. :banana:

sandcastles

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Alan and Wackymother. I have never had a thermal pot but I wondered if the coffee would be hot enough. I like mine very hot.

I'll check out the reviews on Amazon. My only problem is I am completely sold on the whole coffee beans and I didn't really want to use a separate coffee grinder.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't grind my own beans, but I have a coffee maker with a stainless steel "carafe" that keeps coffee hot for HOURS. I make it at 5:00 a.m. and it is still HOT until 8-9 p.m. at least. I always take the carafe to work with me when I have to do a double shift. I think it is a Black & Decker, but I really can't remember for sure !!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Alan and Wackymother. I have never had a thermal pot but I wondered if the coffee would be hot enough. I like mine very hot.

I'll check out the reviews on Amazon. My only problem is I am completely sold on the whole coffee beans and I didn't really want to use a separate coffee grinder.

I get the impression on the Cuisinart Grind and Brew that there are just more things to go wrong...hence that model's frequent appearance as a refurb in the Amazon outlet.

If you do get a separate grinder, the more expensive burr grinders are much better than the little inexpensive grinders. The coffee tastes better. Also they're less messy--you put the beans in a hopper at the top and the ground coffee drops into a removable holder.

I don't know why Laura's experience with the thermal carafe is so much better than mine...and now I'm wondering if my clunker was a GE or a Black and Decker like hers. Hmm. Anyway, I will say that our kitchen (in NJ) is mighty cold on winter mornings. Maybe our coffeepot got colder than most overnight?

sandcastles

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been reading the reviews on Amazon for both Cuisinart and Capresso. Funny that several of the reviews of Capresso were the digital readout not working and even falling back into the coffeemaker when you press on them. Exactly what happened to mine.

The Capresso still got quite a bit better reviews than Cuisinart overall. I may end up going with another Capresso.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
I've been reading the reviews on Amazon for both Cuisinart and Capresso. Funny that several of the reviews of Capresso were the digital readout not working and even falling back into the coffeemaker when you press on them. Exactly what happened to mine.

The Capresso still got quite a bit better reviews than Cuisinart overall. I may end up going with another Capresso.

You should contact Capresso first before going to purchase a new machine. My neighbors had a Capresso unit that failed. They contacted Capresso and were sent a new unit, no charge.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
After you follow up with the manufacturer of your current machine, if you find you are still in the market for a replacement I echo the comments of a simple, inexpensive Mr. Coffee or equivalent. I recommend you get one that has a timer as it comes in very handy to set it up just prior to bed and have the coffee hot and waiting when you getup. $20 - $30 tops. Darling wife broke the pot the last week and I was able substitute a Braun pot from Smart & Final for $9.

Next, invest in a stainless steel thermos. I found an Aladin at Sav-on (now CVS) a year or two ago for less than $20 and it will keep hot liquids hot for a day if full.

I have a separate Krups grinder for the beans which is also fairly simple and not dependent on the other items.

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Cuisinart makes good coffee, but may not last long

We have used Cuisinart's Grind & Brew for many years. My wife really likes the coffee it makes. However, they don't last long. This is our 4th. I've also had a more recent problem with Cuisinart's top of the line Blender. I'm on my 3rd. The first ones of each both broke during the warranty period and were replaced. But, they won't replace "replacements". So, the third is always a new purchase. Cuisinart's repair or replacement 800 number is very easy to reach, but the processs can be very slow.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Using A Separate Coffee Grinder Is Not That Bad.

I am completely sold on the whole coffee beans and I didn't really want to use a separate coffee grinder.
Shux, we've got 2 Kitchen Aid coffee grinders parked side-by-side over next to the pop-up toaster -- 1 for regular + 1 for decaf.

One we inherited from The Chief Of Staff's grandmother. The other we got for next to nothing at a garage sale years ago.

Not only that, our coffee grinders have outlasted any number of el cheapo generic & brand-name Mr. Coffees.

Once, feeling even more el cheapo than usual, I went over to the GoodWill store with the idea in mind of buying a used el cheapo generic Mr. Coffee. GoodWill had dozens on the shelf -- priced at $10 apiece.

So I exited GoodWill & went over to Target where I bought a brand-new -- as in unused, still sealed inside the original box -- Procter-Silex or Hamilton-Beach (or some such) basic model coffee maker on sale for $7.50. (The actual sale price that day was 2 for $15 but Target let me buy 1 for $7.50.)

More recently for $3.99 used, I snagged a cute little brand-name mini-size Mr. Coffee that's just the thing for brewing up breakfast coffee when we're vacationing in our dinky 35-foot non-traveling travel trailer over by Rehoboth Beach DE. It looked OK (nice & clean, etc.), but before using it to make any coffee I still scrubbed it up & ran it through several brew cycles with vinegar & then more cycles with baking soda & then several more on plain water only. Works like a champ & takes only minimal storage space -- a big plus in our galley-size trailer kitchen.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Timer Misadventure With Timer-Controlled Mr. Coffee.

I recommend you get one that has a timer as it comes in very handy to set it up just prior to bed and have the coffee hot and waiting when you getup.
That idea has plenty of appeal for me. So when the timeshare where were staying turned out to have a timer-model Mr. Coffee, I set the digital clock to the correct local time, set the "on" time to just before wake-up, filled the water reservoir, & loaded Seattle's Best premium ground coffee into the filter, & hit the hay.

In the morning, the fresh-brewed coffee was all in a puddle on the kitchen floor & running all over the kitchen counter. Either I had installed the pot or the lid in some catterwampus fashion, or it was the wrong lid for the pot, or it was the wrong pot for the coffee maker -- or some combination of glitches. Sheesh.

I cleaned up the mess & phoned maintenance asking for a replacement Mr. Coffee. The maintenance staff rushed right up with a replacement coffee maker, which may or may not have had a timer control. In any case, I made a Management Decision right then only to brew coffee via Mr. Coffee when I'm there in person to make sure it's going OK. That means buying only timerless Mr. Coffees & by-passing that feature on Mr. Coffees that come equipped with timers.

As a practical matter, that's no inconvenience. Every Mr. Coffee I've used -- here or in timeshares -- brews up a full pot of fresh coffee faster than I could ever even boil up a kettle of water to run through a Melitta filter back when we made coffee that way.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That idea has plenty of appeal for me. I set the digital clock to the correct local time, set the "on" time to just before wake-up, filled the water reservoir, & loaded Seattle's Best premium ground coffee into the filter, & hit the hay.

In the morning, the fresh-brewed coffee was all in a puddle on the kitchen floor & running all over the kitchen counter.

Hehehehe..

Been there, done that. Ours sits on the kitchen counter at the edge of the sink so when that happens here, it all goes right into the sink and down the drain. I've also forgot to put water in and had a hot, dry pot...a couple of other times forgot to grind the coffee and had slightly cloudy, hot water. :hysterical:

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
We have a Cuisinart stainless steel thermal carafe 10 or 12 cup. Did not want the glass carafe. Chose not to get the grind and brew since DH has a burr grinder. It has a timer. No issues with filters and leaks.

Read reviews on many but DH wanted the carafe type for the weekends when he drinks a pot in the morning.

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hamilton Beach Brewstation.

Just about everyone in the extended family has one.

brewstation.jpg

Charles

Last edited:

sandcastles

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers.

I called Capresso and for $65.00 that includes shipping both ways, they are going to repair or replace the coffee maker. I'm going to go with that. I really love the features on it and I think it's the only one with a burr grinder but I don't like the design flaw with the display. I didn't realize how widespread it was until I read the reviews on Amazon.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I see the Cuisinart grind and brew advertised a lot and it is pretty reasonable priced.

Our Grind and Brew made excellent coffee but it was awkward to clean. Eventually bits of coffee and coffee oil tend to glue the access door shut.
Still works but you have to wrestle with it.

Some and maybe all of the Grind and Brew line has been discontinued by Cuisinart, which may account for discounts you'll see.
http://www.cuisinart.com/discontinued/category.php?cat_id=3

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good job Sandcastles! If something can be fixed, I say fix it. We really like our Capresso dual whatever it is (7-8 years and hasn't failed yet). Espresso pump machine on one side and drip on the other. I came across a commercial Jericho big honking grinder that everyone that enters the kitchen envies. Our #1 kid has one of those Cuisinart Grind n Brew's. It has one of those whirly type grinders and seems a PITA to clean. Plus it would wake me up grinding bright and early in the morning. But then one could eliminate an alarm clock!

Jim Ricks

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We've had the Cuisinart 12 cup stainless steel coffee maker (without the grinder) for several years now and have been very pleased. I like hot coffee and think it keeps it fine. I really like that it doesn't get that burned taste that I'd get from the ones with the glass pot and heater element. You do have to be sure that the basket is in place exactly right, or or the filter basket doesn't drain into the pot but overflows. (I've cleaned up several coffee messes when I've assembled it too carelessly.) Mine gets used daily and has been working for more than 5 years, I'd guess. I clean it regularly, because we have lots of chemicals in our water. When it finally dies, I will get the same thing as a replacement.

sandcastles

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never used a coffee press. I would like to try one in addition to my other coffee maker. I drink a whole pot of coffee by myself. My husband has his Bunn fired up and going with his decaf.

The only time I have had press pot coffee was at Animal Kingdom Lodge in Disney. The taste was good but there was a lot of grounds in it. Is this normal?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only time I have had press pot coffee was at Animal Kingdom Lodge in Disney. The taste was good but there was a lot of grounds in it. Is this normal?

If you don't use a burr grinder that can produce consistently coarse grind you will get some grounds. The fine powder that is combined with the coarse from a 'whirly' grinder will go through the screen of a french press. It's not a big deal. You just learn to not drink it to the bottom.

I use a french press when electric power isn't handy- like camping or if I just want one good cup of strong coffee and not a whole pot. Mmmm good!

Jim Ricks

Reaction score
The Aeropress, while a "press" type coffeemaker, is not like a French Press. The coffee does go through a paper filter, so grounds aren't a problem. The coffee is not as intense as with a French Press (which I also love), but it is much smoother.