• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are you cooking?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Tonight, with prompting, Cliff made "pork chop sticky onions". The onions are sautéed in Marsala. We had green beans and corn from the garden as our side dishes. I made a big show of doing the dishes since he'd cooked, hoping to remind him by example that that is the way we've always divided up kitchen work. He has managed not to do the dinner dishes since I started covid cooking in March.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tonight, with prompting, Cliff made "pork chop sticky onions". The onions are sautéed in Marsala. We had green beans and corn from the garden as our side dishes. I made a big show of doing the dishes since he'd cooked, hoping to remind him by example that that is the way we've always divided up kitchen work. He has managed not to do the dinner dishes since I started covid cooking in March.

Sounds relish. I'd like to have more of the recipe.

We have an unwritten rule (tradition) that the one who doesn't cook cleans up. It's not always fairly down the middle. For example, I prepared the meat and lettuce for our salad. Asked DH to chop pickles and make dressing. Then he shredded the cheese while I chopped the fresh onion that topped salad. Big Mac Salad. When it was all done I went for a walk. He straightened the kitchen. In the morning I won't "expect" him to empty the dishwasher but for sure I won't. It's just something he does. It's just something I don't. I tend to hand wash dirty dishes before I'll empty the dishwasher.

Somehow it's worked for 46 years.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
6 weeks in a timeshare cooking on an electric range and i was able to get some good meals in. Shrimp in marinara sauce with angel hair, jerk shrimp and jerk chicken in Rasta pasta, French toast and mimosas, pan seared filet mignon and I even tried my hand at Indian! Chicken tikka masala. That’s what I’ve been cooking.
90B24257-B636-45A2-B0C7-AAB3D21E8A75.jpegBEBC9428-4A59-4CC4-8199-68C8D41987F3.jpeg56F4613F-D0BC-4BF3-B725-7612C130D6EB.jpegE672011D-997F-4104-930D-533FFEDF415C.jpeg4E175869-5737-4E8E-BEB0-A64A3FC02D51.jpeg

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Sounds relish. I'd like to have more of the recipe.

We have an unwritten rule (tradition) that the one who doesn't cook cleans up. It's not always fairly down the middle. For example, I prepared the meat and lettuce for our salad. Asked DH to chop pickles and make dressing. Then he shredded the cheese while I chopped the fresh onion that topped salad. Big Mac Salad. When it was all done I went for a walk. He straightened the kitchen. In the morning I won't "expect" him to empty the dishwasher but for sure I won't. It's just something he does. It's just something I don't. I tend to hand wash dirty dishes before I'll empty the dishwasher.

Somehow it's worked for 46 years.

We also do "chicken sticky onions" with the same recipe. It is a James Beard recipe, before he had a heart attack and changed his butter usage.

Brown chops or chicken in combo of 3T oil and 3T butter. Season w/salt & pepper and remove from pan and keep warm when well browned.
Add another generous pat of butter to your skillet, and as many thinly sliced onions as you want (we do half to 3/4 of an onion for two servings of meat; original recipe called for 3 large onions, a stick of butter and 4 meat portions). When onion is brown and tender, push to side of pan and add meat back in, then heap onions on top. Reduce heat and cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add 1/4 cup sherry/Madeira/Marsala and simmer another 5 minutes.

The onions get nice and sticky and sweet. Easy recipe, of course the one time Cliff made three portions because his boyhood friend was visiting, he burned the onions because he was too busy talking! My favorite thing to serve with either meat, and in winter months, is "microwave peas and old rotten potatoes" -- old rotten being what Cliff thought he heard first time I said we were having au gratin potatoes.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Last week I made a Sour Cherry Pie from scratch. I start with Sour Cherries canned in water. Today I made an Apple Pie from scratch. I used Granny Smith Apples that I peeled, cored, and cut up. It helps when you have an Apple Peeler/Corer. My Cook Book for the filling and Pastry Crust is Meta Given's Encyclopedia of Cooking. The original Print Date is 1947. I use the 1951 Edition. This was the primary Cook Book for my Mom and the one I used growing up. I still shift the Flour once, measure, and then shift all the dry ingredients together several times.

Pie crust is pretty easy - flour, salt, Crisco, and ice cold water.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Last week I made a Sour Cherry Pie from scratch. I start with Sour Cherries canned in water. Today I made an Apple Pie from scratch. I used Granny Smith Apples that I peeled, cored, and cut up. It helps when you have an Apple Peeler/Corer. My Cook Book for the filling and Pastry Crust is Meta Given's Encyclopedia of Cooking. The original Print Date is 1947. I use the 1951 Edition. This was the primary Cook Book for my Mom and the one I used growing up. I still shift the Flour once, measure, and then shift all the dry ingredients together several times.

I have my mother's copy of The Joy of Cooking and her sifter that I learned to bake using! My mother still uses the Crisco shortening recipe, that she got off the can, for pie crusts. It's quite good. I'm too lazy to peel, core and cup up apples though. :)

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
Here is a copy of a post I put on Facebook last night. I was a bit bored with Covid lockdown and it has been rainy here in Alberta the last week or so. Wanted something different from BBQ so decided to hark back to my Ukrainian heritage. DId a lot of prep last night and finished the rest today. Sitting here at 9 pm trying to get the energy to finish the dishes. Did everything except the sourkraut. It The Quinoa Budda Bowl was a big hit and actually went pretty good with the meal.

Having the kids over for perogy dinner tomorrow. Want a change from the usual summer bbq. Rudi is making his sourkraut and I have cabbage rolls ready to go....and then making two kinds of perogies...cheddar and potato, and cottage cheese potato and dill. Of course some ham sausage. And guess what is going on the table right up front?

This- a big bowl instead of a salad.

https://www.forkintheroad.co/spicy-peanut-quinoa-bowl/
I am subbing in some 7 grain instead of the quinoa cause I am out of quinoa but the rest will be the same. I figure if I make a big bowl of this...we will all go easier on the other stuff. And then I have two vegan children so they need something healthy. What do you think? Good idea?
Spicy Peanut Quinoa Bowl, a simple grain bowl with quinoa, spinach, chickpeas, avocado, peanuts, and a Spicy Peanut Sauce drizzle. Full of flavor and oh-so easy!

FORKINTHEROAD.CO

Spicy Peanut Quinoa Bowl | 20-Minute, Vegan, Gluten-Free Grain Bowl
Spicy Peanut Quinoa Bowl, a simple grain bowl with quinoa, spinach, chickpeas, avocado, peanuts, and a Spicy Peanut Sauce drizzle. Full of flavor and oh-so easy!

And...here is my dessert...waited all year for peaches!!

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Lazy cooking time:

In a 6" silicone cake pan -
4 sweet Italian sausages
green olives
pitted black olives
Cover with jarred pasta sauce

Cook in an Air fryer @350 degrees until the sausages register 160 degrees.

Take out the sausages, add some more pasta sauce and heat for 15 minutes.

While the sauce is heating, put 2 serving of pasta in Fasta Pasta microwave cooker and zap for 12 minutes.

Drain, serve with pasta sauce from air fryer and sausages.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Tonight we are forced to have strawberry shortcake again for dessert. Cliff's strawberry crop is going gangbusters since he moved it to its own 3'x12' plot.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Tonight we are forced to have strawberry shortcake again for dessert. Cliff's strawberry crop is going gangbusters since he moved it to its own 3'x12' plot.

Tonight we're forced to have tomato pie again as we picked 10 over the last few days.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Last weekend I made Chewy Chocolate Cookies. Mmm. Most of them wound up getting wrapped and frozen. They are to be trail snacks for our upcoming trip the Kings Canyon NP.

0A78356B-2B86-40D5-9D5B-B01C58535FC7.jpeg

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

I just made this yesterday. Easy and refreshing. It's from Taste of home magazine.
IMG-20200806-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
More lazy cooking:

Take 6 eggs and whisk. Add chopped ham, onion, green pepper and cheese. Mix in fresh spinach. Put in a 6" silicone baking pan and cover with tinfoil. Put in air fryer and cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue cooking for 20 minutes or until the eggs are set. Cover with additional cheese (Swiss is a good choice) an brown @ 400 or highest temp.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Why not just put it in a regular Convection oven. After all that is what is an "Air Fryer" is. You can not fry in an "Air Fryer." Put in a nice piece of Cod with some thick batter and watch what happens to the batter?

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why not just put it in a regular Convection oven. After all that is what is an "Air Fryer" is. You can not fry in an "Air Fryer." Put in a nice piece of Cod with some thick batter and watch what happens to the batter?
Less heat on a 100 degree day for just for the two of us. Preheats in a couple of minutes.

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've started getting a weekly farm box from a local organic farm and to say it's been life changing is an understatement. I just cannot get over the quality, quantity, and variety of produce. It's forcing me to try a lot of new recipes. Last night was a simple dinner of pasta, homemade pesto, zucchini, heirloom tomatoes, and some mushrooms (no idea what variety), then topped with organic grilled chicken breasts from Imperfect Foods. It was outstanding. This morning I used my eggs from IF, with a berry salad made from strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries from the farm box, plus some potatoes from the box. It feels so indulgent. Btw, or box costs $25/week delivered. View attachment 22364
Beautiful color and flavors

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Last weekend I made Chewy Chocolate Cookies. Mmm. Most of them wound up getting wrapped and frozen. They are to be trail snacks for our upcoming trip the Kings Canyon NP.

View attachment 24375

In the same vein: I made some of my newest iteration of a breakfast bar/trail snack to get me up the trail in the morning: It's a recipe for Blondies with the fat replaced by peanut butter and the choc chips with dried apricots and cherries with some almonds thrown in for good measure. A previous attempt wasn't successful, but this one is a keeper; turned out delicious with a good balance of fruit to cookie. DSCN1197.JPG

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Dutch Oven Beans, Rice, and Sausage
(Adapted from Taste of Home)

It's starting to feel like fall is on the way in Northern, CA: That means 85 instead of 105! So last night I made this recipe, except I made it in the Instant Pot and subbed some ingredients to use what I had on hand. It was a big hit! Served with cornbread and salad.

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 celery ribs, sliced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium green pepper, chopped
  • 1 package (14 ounces) smoked turkey sausage, sliced
  • 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth (8 C. water + 1 envelope lipton onion soup + 4 boullion cubes)
  • (I used 8 cups/64 oz. of water, because I needed extra water to rehydrate the dried beans and rice, and because my husband likes things like this to be soupy, so he can eat them over crackers, corn bread, etc.)
  • 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I used 1 cup of uncooked dried black beans)
  • 1-1/4 cups uncooked converted rice (I used one cup of uncooked white rice)
  • 1/3 cup tomato paste (I used the entire 6 oz. can)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (2 teaspoons - next time I will use 3 teaspoons/1 tablespoon)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (omitted)
  • Hot pepper sauce, optional (served at table)
Directions
  • In a Dutch oven, (Instant Pot) heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, onion and green pepper; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Add sausage; cook until browned, 2-3 minutes. (I used the instant pot on saute - I cooked the sausage first and then added the veggies. Scrape the bottom well before adding the other ingredients.)

• Dutch Oven Instructions: Stir in broth, beans, rice, tomato paste, bay leaf, Cajun seasoning and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. If desired, serve with pepper sauce.

• Instant Pot Instructions: After sauteing sausage and veggies, I scraped the bottom and stirred everything together in the Instant Pot except the rice. Then I put the rice in last, and gently pushed it under the liquid - you don't want rice on the very bottom of your Instant Pot to avoid the burn notice, so don't stir it in. Cook 40 min. on high and then do a 20 min. release to make sure beans get done.

Last edited:

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
A7ED89AD-B9CB-4A4A-AFC3-59505F5CD9D1.jpeg

We discovered over 100 years old orchard with Italian plum trees. Here are plum filled dumplings, we also made coffee cake with plums and plum butter.
EA68D5CE-9084-42B3-937B-B2FA97FF18F4.jpeg

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Deleted duplicate

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
We had a nice summer salad. The main course was Goat cooked a couple days ago in a Tagine (sp) with Rice, Chick Peas, tomatoes, and dried apricots. The tastes melded well over the couple days. We buy our Goat at a local Mexican Butcher Shop. We buy a leg and have them cut it into 1 to 1.25 inch thick slices. We then freeze it in heat sealed useful packages.