• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are you cooking?

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I absolutely love pesto. I am growing some basil but started late so I can’t pick yet. I wanted to make pesto with fresh basil the other day and could not find pignoli nuts anywhere. The local store owner said they are scarce and extremely pricey. I do t think DH would eat walnuts. I’d have to leave it out altogether. Hoping my basil takes off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Thieggy,

Pignoli Nuts.

Buon Appetito.

Richard

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We've started getting a weekly farm box from a local organic farm and to say it's been life changing is an understatement. I just cannot get over the quality, quantity, and variety of produce. It's forcing me to try a lot of new recipes. Last night was a simple dinner of pasta, homemade pesto, zucchini, heirloom tomatoes, and some mushrooms (no idea what variety), then topped with organic grilled chicken breasts from Imperfect Foods. It was outstanding. This morning I used my eggs from IF, with a berry salad made from strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries from the farm box, plus some potatoes from the box. It feels so indulgent. Btw, or box costs $25/week delivered.
20200617_095959.jpg

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I absolutely love pesto. I am growing some basil but started late so I can’t pick yet. I wanted to make pesto with fresh basil the other day and could not find pignoli nuts anywhere. The local store owner said they are scarce and extremely pricey. I do t think DH would eat walnuts. I’d have to leave it out altogether. Hoping my basil takes off.

Pignoli = PineNut. Buy large bags at Costco. Keep in Freezer. Patti uses them a lot including in lots of salads and other dishes.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Having a local CSA will totally up your cooking game; it certainly did mine. When we first joined, they also gave us two cookbooks. One, which came from a consortium of CSAs somewhere in the midwest, is great because it also includes basic storage tips and cooking methods for almost every veggie you can think of, in addition to a handful of recipes (so, you kind of know what generally to do with a veggie if you've never seen it before; this year, that veggie for me is sorrell.) And the other one, which had been done by one of our fellow members the previous year, was called "The Simple Series" and had three recipes for each veggie: simple, simpler, and simplest. :) I know you can find lots of recipes on the internet, but these curated guides were just very useful, esp. those first few years.

This is what my daughter and spouse made tonight (they take the lead on dinner once a week; my daughter is the Exec Chef and my spouse is the sous chef, LOL!) We had puff pasty in the freezer and leftover chorizo from a dinner earlier in the week. A found a recipe for Spicy Chorizo Potato Bourekas and they turned out delish!! With fresh green beans from our CSA. :)
107641662_10158539989549154_3396256032747884338_n.jpg

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I am also planning to make our own pesto and I am currently growing Genovese Basil indoor hydroponically. I got pine nuts from Amazon Fresh.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've started getting a weekly farm box from a local organic farm and to say it's been life changing is an understatement. I just cannot get over the quality, quantity, and variety of produce. It's forcing me to try a lot of new recipes. Last night was a simple dinner of pasta, homemade pesto, zucchini, heirloom tomatoes, and some mushrooms (no idea what variety), then topped with organic grilled chicken breasts from Imperfect Foods. It was outstanding. This morning I used my eggs from IF, with a berry salad made from strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries from the farm box, plus some potatoes from the box. It feels so indulgent. Btw, or box costs $25/week delivered. View attachment 22364
From which farm are you getting your produce?

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I found that the best way of storing pesto long term is to freeze it in ice trays, and then just pop out one pesto cube at a time to thaw. (Best practice is to not add the parm until just before you use it, but we're lazy and froze it with the parm and it was just fine.)

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dinner on Monday was chicken dinner made with garlic scapes, onion, watermelon radish, kohlrabi, carrots, parsley, mushrooms, sorrel, kohlrabi leaves, kale. The next day it was chicken stew. Today it was chicken soup. I saved the carrot tops from a beautiful bunch I got from a local farm. I big clump went into the pot of bones, skin and all things most people pick off the chicken. I add an umami flavor with a mushroom powder. After the broth is strained I add new carrots, onion, celery, more kale, sorrel, parsley, a few red radish, parsnip.

Top it off with a pour of olive oil when served.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From which farm are you getting your produce?
It's a local San Diego area farm called Yasukochi Farms in Oceanside. Our delivery comes on Wednesday and it's my favorite day of the week.

Btw does anyone have a preferred recipe or cooking technique for baby bok choy? I love it at a restaurant but so far I am underwhelmed with my attempts to prepare it. It's been very bland. I've tried sauteing it with garlic and even tried it on the grill but it was really too tough to enjoy.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a local San Diego area farm called Yasukochi Farms in Oceanside. Our delivery comes on Wednesday and it's my favorite day of the week.

Btw does anyone have a preferred recipe or cooking technique for baby bok choy? I love it at a restaurant but so far I am underwhelmed with my attempts to prepare it. It's been very bland. I've tried sauteing it with garlic and even tried it on the grill but it was really too tough to enjoy.
I love baby bok choy. You can cut them up and add them to chicken vegetable soups or homemade wonton soup and it only takes a couple of minutes so don't put in too early. If you stir fry, you want to add an inch of ginger and chopped garlic, either with soy sauce or a bit of salt. Do not grill it.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Amy,

Has it come to this?

Boots are NOT vegetables!

Having a local CSA will totally up your cooking game; it certainly did mine. When we first joined, they also gave us two cookbooks. One, which came from a consortium of CSAs somewhere in the midwest, is great because it also includes basic storage tips and cooking methods for almost every veggie you can think of, in addition to a handful of recipes (so, you kind of know what generally to do with a veggie if you've never seen it before; this year, that veggie for me is sorrell.) And the other one, which had been done by one of our fellow members the previous year, was called "The Simple Series" and had three recipes for each veggie: simple, simpler, and simplest. :) I know you can find lots of recipes on the internet, but these curated guides were just very useful, esp. those first few years.

This is what my daughter and spouse made tonight (they take the lead on dinner once a week; my daughter is the Exec Chef and my spouse is the sous chef, LOL!) We had puff pasty in the freezer and leftover chorizo from a dinner earlier in the week. A found a recipe for Spicy Chorizo Potato Bourekas and they turned out delish!! With fresh green beans from our CSA. :) View attachment 23272

Oh sorrell - not Sorel!

Now I am going to have to look that vegetable up!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I found that the best way of storing pesto long term is to freeze it in ice trays, and then just pop out one pesto cube at a time to thaw. (Best practice is to not add the parm until just before you use it, but we're lazy and froze it with the parm and it was just fine.)
I'm impressed that you have any to store. We just gobble it up!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I love baby bok choy. You can cut them up and add them to chicken vegetable soups or homemade wonton soup and it only takes a couple of minutes so don't put in too early. If you stir fry, you want to add an inch of ginger and chopped garlic, either with soy sauce or a bit of salt. Do not grill it.
Yeah the grilling was definitely a mistake:D

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

This is what my daughter and spouse made tonight (they take the lead on dinner once a week; my daughter is the Exec Chef and my spouse is the sous chef, LOL!) We had puff pasty in the freezer and leftover chorizo from a dinner earlier in the week. A found a recipe for Spicy Chorizo Potato Bourekas and they turned out delish!! With fresh green beans from our CSA. :) View attachment 23272
The best part of the CSA box is the hunt for new recipes to use what you have on hand. We have tried some delicious recipes lately.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score

Well it has gone into my chicken dinner when it’s on hand. Now that you bring it up....I put a small head of Toy Choy in the soup today.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do like the challenge and creativity of “cooking out of the box” of veggies each week. We’re a drop site, so the farmer drops the boxes off here, and members come to our porch to pick up. In previos years, we’ve offered nibbles and bevies and conversation. Now, just a brief conversation from opposite ends of a very long porch... :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do like the challenge and creativity of “cooking out of the box” of veggies each week. We’re a drop site, so the farmer drops the boxes off here, and members come to our porch to pick up. In previos years, we’ve offered nibbles and bevies and conversation. Now, just a brief conversation from opposite ends of a very long porch... :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Today I found this recipe to use the broccoli, scallions, shitake mushrooms, and bok choy in our box: https://www.loveandlemons.com/bok-choy-stir-fry/
The sauce sounds amazing!

Cooking out of the box is so fun and scratches the same itch for variety that going to a restaurant used to do. It's one of the small covid blessings.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
This is only the second year we've had good luck with bell peppers, but I use ours chopped in breakfast potatoes because they are too small to stuff. I do love stuffing the big grocery store peppers once or twice a year.

We just picked a few of our bell peppers but we have been over run with poblano peppers. We made a stuffing of jasmine rice, ground turkey, finely chopped carrots, and a little onion. Then blistered the poblanos on the grill, peeled them, cut them in half, removed the seeds and put stuffing on top of one half and topped it with the other half of the pepper. Filled a baking dish of them, poured a little marinara sauce over them and topped it all off with a mixture of Mexican cheese and popped them in the oven until cheese melted. Yummy.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tonight was an impromptu Taco Thursday.
I ran to store to get what was missing for Big Mac salad. While looking for jalapeños (for lentil dish on another night) i ran across salsa verde and my fav taco shells Siete Grain Free Taco Shells. They are so delicate. They don’t hold up to stuffing so it becomes taco salad which works so much better because i can pile my plate high but only use 2 shells.
I had some garlic scapes and beet greens in the fridge so they were included.

Attachments

• 40ADF449-EC01-4421-BD75-80ECD516F4D8.jpeg
    40ADF449-EC01-4421-BD75-80ECD516F4D8.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 5

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Made a tomato pie from our crop. And some cranberry cole slaw. That was dinner.