• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are typical broker’s fees for a resale?

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering what are typical fees for a broker when selling a resale? Is it a percentage of the sale or is there a set fee?
Thanks so much!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think it is 20%-30% but most brokers have a minimum of $2000-3000+ so either they won't accept listings that are likely to sell for under $10,000+ or they would require their minimum after the sale goes through be it from the proceeds or directly from the seller if it doesn't sell for enough to cover their minimum required commission.

Edit: if selling through the developer expect a minimum of 40% as their flat fee.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is 20%-30% but most brokers have a minimum of $2000-3000+ so either they won't accept listings that are likely to sell for under $10,000+ or they would require their minimum after the sale goes through be it from the proceeds or directly from the seller if it doesn't sell for enough to cover their minimum required commission.

Edit: if selling through the developer expect a minimum of 40% as their flat fee.
Wow, okay, that is helpful…I didn’t realize it was so much, and with a minimum listing…that would put a lot of timeshares out of the picture, so hence the flat fee, I guess. I am trying to gather as much information as possible before I make an offer on a property, so thank you so much for answering my questions. I really appreciate it.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try purchasing from an owner directly to cut out the need for Broker fees.....

TUG, eBay and Redweek may be a good starting point in looking for owner listings.

Best of luck.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try purchasing from an owner directly to cut out the need for Broker fees.....

TUG, eBay and Redweek may be a good starting point in looking for owner listings.

Best of luck.

Hi, I do want to purchase from an owner directly, but it seems almost all of the listings I’m looking at are brokers, and this is on Redweek. They list the gold seasons and then I see these same brokers on the platinum season listings, too.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep looking until you find what you want from whom you want....... Or, make a purchase offer from a Broker at a much lower price point and see if they'll bite.

What Timeshare or Resort are you specifically looking for?

Last edited:

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep looking until you find what you want from whom you want....... Or, may a purchase offer from a Broker at a much lower price point and see if they'll bite.

What Timeshare or Resort are you specifically looking for?

Newport Coast Villas

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Hi, I do want to purchase from an owner directly, but it seems almost all of the listings I’m looking at are brokers, and this is on Redweek. They list the gold seasons and then I see these same brokers on the platinum season listings, too.
If it is just redweek full service and not a typical outside broker the broker fees would be less. They charge the owner $125 to list and then 3% or a minimum of $399 when it sells.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it is just redweek full service and not a typical outside broker the broker fees would be less. They charge the owner $125 to list and then 3% or a minimum of $399 when it sells.
They are outside brokers, not Redweek’s service.

altiste1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge
Marriott Phuket Beach Club
Wyndham Bali Hai
Unless it’s specifically stated in the listing, broker fees are typically paid by the seller. If a broker is listing a timeshare at a particular price, that’s the price you’ll typically pay, plus any closing costs (I.e. deed prep and recording, title insurance if any) and resort transfer fees. Sometimes the seller pays those too, but definitely not always.

I have noticed that closing costs do tend to be a little higher when a broker is involved, but not to the level of a 30% commission. But definitely read the fine print on the listing.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
You could also put a wanted ad on TUG. If you are lucky, you might find a TUG member looking to sell wanting to bypass the broker’s fees.

Edited: you might need to pay the $15 annual TUG membership fee in order to place a wanted ad. Certainly worth it for everything else you get for that $15 (access to reviews being one, not to mention the prestige of being a TUG “member”).

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could also put a wanted ad on TUG. If you are lucky, you might find a TUG member looking to sell wanting to bypass the broker’s fees.

Edited: you might need to pay the $15 annual TUG membership fee in order to place a wanted ad. Certainly worth it for everything else you get for that $15 (access to reviews being one, not to mention the prestige of being a TUG “member”).
Thanks! That’s a great idea! Worth the cost and prestige for sure! :)Although, I think I am a member. I’ll check!

Reactions: RX8

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! That’s a great idea! Worth the cost and prestige for sure! :)Although, I think I am a member. I’ll check!
If you are, you would have received an email with a code to enter to change your 'Guest' to the prestigious 'Member'!

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are, you would have received an email with a code to enter to change your 'Guest' to the prestigious 'Member'!
Guess I needed to renew my membership, so all is good now!
Thanks for all of your advice. I’m just trying to figure out if I should even bother making offers on the broker listings. Or if I should contact the broker directly. There is one listing that states the seller is willing to work with a broker, but must end up with the current sales price….so I am assuming a broker could then list that same resale a tiny bit lower then the original ad but then state the $120 Marriott fee and $700 escrow will be extra.…so it’s actually more money for the buyer. Also, LT transfers which was recommended on this forum many times, seems to be cheaper in price compared to the closing and escrow prices of $700-1500 listed in the ads. I would like to use LT Transfers if I have to pay closing costs, so I would put that in the initial offer?
Thanks so much for all of your advice!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can structure an offer any way YOU want. Whether the terms and price will be accepted are a different issue, and that is where you negotiate price and terms......