• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are the odds?

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I have 2 Frenchman's Cove Christmas weeks (one 2 BR & one 3 BR) that I would be willing to trade for Dest. Points if I could get the same unit sizes, or 3 2-bedrooms at Aruba Surf Club for the same Christmas week. I know I will have to bank or borrow to accomplish this but I don't want to convert to points unless there is a great chance I can get that week/units. I have enough points for the 13-month reservation timeframe, but I know Surf Club is really popular and probably most owners use or rent that week. Does anyone have a sense of how big of a long shot it would be? I'm talking about 2013 weeks.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I have 2 Frenchman's Cove Christmas weeks (one 2 BR & one 3 BR) that I would be willing to trade for Dest. Points if I could get the same unit sizes, or 3 2-bedrooms at Aruba Surf Club for the same Christmas week. I know I will have to bank or borrow to accomplish this but I don't want to convert to points unless there is a great chance I can get that week/units. I have enough points for the 13-month reservation timeframe, but I know Surf Club is really popular and probably most owners use or rent that week. Does anyone have a sense of how big of a long shot it would be? I'm talking about 2013 weeks.

Suzanne, I think you'll get your reservations. Please search for a thread I started called Sources of Inventory. Marriott has found a way to stock the Exchange for even sold-out resorts. I called DC in Jan 2011 and there was a ton of Aruba inventory 12.5 months out.

So....I think your odds are excellent. Also, depending on timing and needs, you may not have to give up your weeks until you've got confirmation that your Aruba weeks are there.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Thank you. We do an extended family vacation every other year and I don't want to be hanging out there 5 months out with no place to go. Airfare is so expensive during the holidays if you don't make reservations over 6 months in advance.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
JIm

use a search for 1 nite using the flexible option..that should get you a 7 day sweep for a 2 bedroom even if not enuf points....

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I think it might be hard getting multiple weeks for the same exact timeframe for that week. As posted above, most owners bought to use or they rent them, since they rent for a lot of money and fairly quickly.

The flip side to the convenience of using points for other than 7 day reservations is that there will likely be dates during that timeframe (like the 26th and 27th) that are highly requested both by people booking week 51 and those booking week 52.

Especially since you need confirmation far enough in advance to purchase plane tickets, I'd only do it as a request first.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I need multiple units for one week at Christmas. I'm guessing getting 3 2-bedrooms units will be easier than 1 2-bedroom and 1 3-bedroom. Frenchman's Cove has only one 3-bedroom in each building. I'm assuming 3-bedrooms are scarce everywhere.