• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are the benenfits of staying in Disney orlando timeshare?

spottie

Reaction score
We own Marriott timeshare and can easily exchange into any of the Marriott in Orlando. We can also pull some of the Disney timeshare (Old Key West & Saratoga Springs.) I am just wondering what are the advantages of staying at Disney timeshare? Since we have to pay more in exchange fees trading outside the Marriott system. (We will be traveling with a 3 year old and a 3 month baby.)

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
From my perspective, the biggest advantage is being onsite, and having access to the Disney transportation to and from the parks. No traffic, no parking, etc. Much more amenable to taking a break back to your condo during the day when you're so close. It used to be non-Disney people exchanging into Disney were charged a $99 surcharge (in addition to the higher exchange fee above the intenral Marriott II exchange fee), but don't know if that's still the case.......

-David

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
I also read recently on the disboards (I think) that exchangers can use Disney's Magical Express transportation to and from MCO. This was a free service introduced to celebrate Disneyland's 50th Anniversary..there will be a charge after the celebration is over sometime later this year. You can have your luggage "magically" appear in your villa and you are transported by coach to the resort. On the return, your luggage is checked in at your resort (if you are flying on a participating airline) and you don't deal with it until you land at home.

I found that being on site with small children was a definite plus. With teenagers, my sisters found it fine to be offsite at the HGVC.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Also, if you are staying on site you can take advantage of extra magic hours. Every day at least one park will open one hour earlier for onsite guest and another park will stay open 3 hours later for onsite guests only.

Another perk is the package return to your resort. If you purchase anything at the parks but don't want to carry around all day you don't have to.

Another perk is that you can make reservations for dining 180 days advance for the 1st 10 days you are at the resort. Another words you can call on the 180 day mark and make all your dining reservations up to the next 10 days (it is limited to the number of days you are staying so if you are only staying 7 days then you can only make 7 days worth of dining reservations).

Finally, for me it is the magic. But that's me. I stay in all kinds of timeshares throughout the year so staying on site at disney is important to me. It is different from any other timeshare I've stayed.

GL...

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
The Disney DVC resorts have slides at the main pools. Saratoga has a zero entry pool (which would be nice for small children).

If you couldn't get a DVC resort during the time you want to go, I've also heard good things about Marriott's Horizon resort (great for kids and has themed pools with slides).

The transportation when you stay at Disney is very convenient. It runs every day about every 20 minutes and then keeps running about an hour after the parks close. It makes it convenient to go back to the resort for a nap or a swim. And what we like is that one person can go back and the others stay in the parks longer if they want to. We don't all have to stick together if one person is tired and the other one isn't.

The Boardwalk Villas and Beach Club Villas are close enough to walk to Epcot. The Villas at Wilderness Lodge have either boat or bus transportation to the Magic Kingdom. I know these resorts don't come up as often as Saratoga or Old Key West, but every once in a while you'll see one for exchange.

spottie

Reaction score
Thank you all for your reply and suggestions. I ended up booking a Marriott Grand Vista 2 bedroom with my AC for President's day week next year.

Although I can pull Disney, they are mostly January next year and we are going skiing during that time. Booking Marriott though, we can choose exactly the date I want. Will try next time for Disney.

jtridle

TUG Member
Reaction score
littlestar said:
The transportation when you stay at Disney is very convenient. It runs every day about every 20 minutes and then keeps running about an hour after the parks close. It makes it convenient to go back to the resort for a nap or a swim. And what we like is that one person can go back and the others stay in the parks longer if they want to. We don't all have to stick together if one person is tired and the other one isn't. /QUOTE]

If we are staying at the Beach, how do we pick up these shuttles? Do we just go out there and stand? What do we have to show that proves we are staying there at the resort, and same on return I suppose? Thanks???

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
jtridle said:
littlestar said:
The transportation when you stay at Disney is very convenient. It runs every day about every 20 minutes and then keeps running about an hour after the parks close. It makes it convenient to go back to the resort for a nap or a swim. And what we like is that one person can go back and the others stay in the parks longer if they want to. We don't all have to stick together if one person is tired and the other one isn't. /QUOTE]

If we are staying at the Beach, how do we pick up these shuttles? Do we just go out there and stand? What do we have to show that proves we are staying there at the resort, and same on return I suppose? Thanks???

When you check in at Disney's Beach Club Villas you will be issued a room key. That entitles you to use Disney's transportation. I've never seen a Disney bus driver check ID's, though.

To get to Epcot's World show case entrance from the BCV, you can just walk out through the lobby doors towards the walkway that circles the whole resort area (like ESPN, BWV, Dolphin/Swan hotels). Take a left and up over the hill and there's the entrance to Epcot's World Showcase. Boats also will take you to Epcot if you don't want to walk. If you want to go to MGM, it's easier from BCV to take the boat launch. The boat launch is out past the feature pool by the lighthouse on the lake. There is a walking path to get to MGM - it's past the Boardwalk Villas (but it's a good walk). Transportation to the Magic Kingdom/Animal Kingdom/water parks/Downtown Disney is by bus. The bus stops are close to the entrance drive up (close to bell services).

When you leave the Magic Kingdom, there are bus stops that are marked for the resort buses. They are off to the right side of the park. And there are signs.

Be sure to look at your map when you check in, and that will help you a lot.

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney Vacation Club members who make reservations using their DVC points can buy the Disney Dining Plan, which can be a very good value for some people. I don't know if exchangers can buy the dining plan, though.

Other onsite benefits include:
Free Transit to/from the airport (there may be a charge for this in the future)
Free Transit around Disneyworld
Extra Park hours
Ability to put everything your room key (i.e., tickets, food & gift purchases at the parks, etc)
Package delivery to your resort
Free valet parking at the hotels that offer valet parking (I think exchangers get this)

And of course, you are *really* close. I left my room at Beach Club and was inside Epcot 7 minutes later!

lisa1001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exchangers (and renters) can also purchase the dining plan.

iluvwdw

Reaction score
Anyone renting points to stay at a DVC resort, and those exchanging into DVC resorts can get the dining plan.

As for the Disney Transportation, ANYONE can use Disney Transportation. You don't have to be staying at a Disney hotel to be able to use it.

I don't usually stay on site, but I love the Extra Magic Hour perks. I also love the fact that you don't have to carry around cash if you don't want to...all your charges can be put on your room key, to be paid when you check out. I also love that you can have your packages shipped to your resort, so you don't have to carry them around all day!!!

Carl D

Reaction score
iluvwdw said:
As for the Disney Transportation, ANYONE can use Disney Transportation. You don't have to be staying at a Disney hotel to be able to use it.
Anyone with valid park media can use most transportation. Although not tightly enforced, there are a few forms of transportation that is not open to everyone.
The resort monorail comes to mind. That mono is only suppose to be used by guests staying at The Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian, or those that have business at those resorts.

Carl D

Reaction score
JudyS said:
Free valet parking at the hotels that offer valet parking
Judy, I believe this is reserved for Members but I could be wrong.
Also, free valet is only offered at the DVC Resorts, not all resorts.
One more interesting thing is that the DVC Member doesn't have to be staying at WDW to use this perk.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
iluvwdw said:
...As for the Disney Transportation, ANYONE can use Disney Transportation. You don't have to be staying at a Disney hotel to be able to use it....
Not Magical Express -- for that, they seem to (at least sometimes) actually check that you are staying onsite.

Anyway, the point about Disney transportation is that if you are staying onsite, you don't need a car. If you stay offsite, you can use Disney transit to get from park to park, but it won't get you back to your hotel.

Carl D said:
Judy, I believe [free valet parking] is reserved for Members but I could be wrong.
Also, free valet is only offered at the DVC Resorts, not all resorts.
One more interesting thing is that the DVC Member doesn't have to be staying at WDW to use this perk.
I thought I had gotten free valet parking when I exchanged in, but I might be confusing exchanging in with a time when I rented from another DVC member.

I didn't realize that the free valet parking was only at the DVC resorts (so, I assume that's Boardwalk, Beach Club, and Wilderness Lodge.) Thanks for clearing that up!

iluvwdw

Reaction score
JudyS said:
Not Magical Express -- for that, they seem to (at least sometimes) actually check that you are staying onsite.

You're right...I only was talking about the monorail and bus system.

And I NEVER EVER heard that only guests of the Poly, Grand Floridian or Contemp can use the monorail. As far as I know, once you are on WDW property going to their parks or resorts, anyone can use the busses or monorail.

Carl D

Reaction score
iluvwdw said:
And I NEVER EVER heard that only guests of the Poly, Grand Floridian or Contemp can use the monorail. As far as I know, once you are on WDW property going to their parks or resorts, anyone can use the busses or monorail.
Any paying guest can use the express monorail and the Epcot monorail.
The resort monorail is intended for those resort guests, and folks with dinner reservations at those hotels and so forth. :)

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Carl D said:
Any paying guest can use the express monorail and the Epcot monorail.
The resort monorail is intended for those resort guests, and folks with dinner reservations at those hotels and so forth. :)

Carl,

"Officially"...is this really true? In other words, you couldn't use the monorail to go shopping at the Grand Floridian?

Carl D

Reaction score
3kids4me said:
Carl,

"Officially"...is this really true? In other words, you couldn't use the monorail to go shopping at the Grand Floridian?
I would say yes, you could since shopping is legitimate business at the GF.

I have only seen Cast Members checking resort ID's at the monorail station once or twice in my life, so I really don't think Disney cares all that much.
I think the original intent was to avoid over crowding of that mono at park closing, since it does stop at Ticket & Transportation Center. It's nice for someone staying at the Grand Floridian to avoid long monorail lines and no seats.
I also think this helps cut down on people parking at the Poly and hopping the monorail.

I have also seen them check resort ID's at the small boat dock that runs to Poly and GF.

Last edited:

iluvwdw

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the "official" word on the resort monorail. No one has ever checked IDs on me or anyone else I know for that matter. There is no way for anyone on the monorail to know what dinner ressies you have, or where you MIGHT want to eat that night. And they aren't going to stop you from checking out the resort, because you might like what you see and stay there one day! (A lot of people take the resort monorail and stop at every resort to see what it's like...I do this at Christmas time, because everything is decorated so beautifully) So I wouldn't worry about using the resort monorail AT ALL. It's there, so use it. They won't check your ID. And I have NEVER seen anything in writing that states it's for resort guests only.

Carl D

Reaction score
iluvwdw said:
I wouldn't worry about the "official" word on the resort monorail. No one has ever checked IDs on me or anyone else I know for that matter. There is no way for anyone on the monorail to know what dinner ressies you have, or where you MIGHT want to eat that night. And they aren't going to stop you from checking out the resort, because you might like what you see and stay there one day! (A lot of people take the resort monorail and stop at every resort to see what it's like...I do this at Christmas time, because everything is decorated so beautifully) So I wouldn't worry about using the resort monorail AT ALL. It's there, so use it. They won't check your ID. And I have NEVER seen anything in writing that states it's for resort guests only.
I do agree with you that it's no big deal, especially during normal park hours. The only time it matters is at park closing. It's really not fair to the folks paying $500/night at the GF to have to wait in long lines so off site folks can disembark at the TTC.
I also agree that checking out a resort is legitimate business.

I personally have been ID'd once at the mono (park closing), and twice when boarding the small boat to the Poly. This is over 12 years and 40 trips to WDW, so it doesn't happen often.

Rules do change over the years, but the biggest thing is rules are only enforced a small percentage of the time.
That is classic Disney. :)

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Why pay to stay in lesser accomodations?

spottie said:
We own Marriott timeshare and can easily exchange into any of the Marriott in Orlando. We can also pull some of the Disney timeshare (Old Key West & Saratoga Springs.) I am just wondering what are the advantages of staying at Disney timeshare? Since we have to pay more in exchange fees trading outside the Marriott system. (We will be traveling with a 3 year old and a 3 month baby.)
Unless the minor items listed in the posts above, with the possible exception of the extended park hours which can be attractive to some, appeal to you I would say you'll be happier at a Marriott resort. Besides the extra cost II charges you'll also get hit with the DVC exchange penalty of $95 (a pure ripoff but thats been hashed over before) to stay in a unit that will not be equal to what you have come to expect at your Marriott properties. The DVC units stress a lobby theme that supposedly overcomes what is usually a smaller and far less equipped unit - but, and this is what you pay for, it has "the magic". Decide for yourself if that is worth giving up your Marriott property and additional dollars. I know my answer is no but thats just one opinion.

Enjoy your Orlando visit either way.

Carl D

Reaction score
timeos2 said:
to stay in a unit that will not be equal to what you have come to expect at your Marriott properties.
I have never stayed in a Marriott TS, so I can't speak from experience.

With that said, I have read many posts here from folks who have stayed at both, and I only remember about equal pros and cons.

In other words, this is all a matter of opinion.

timeos2 said:
The DVC units stress a lobby theme that supposedly overcomes what is usually a smaller and far less equipped unit
John, purely out of curiosity, what makes DVC have far less equipped units?

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Comapre

Carl D said:
I have never stayed in a Marriott TS, so I can't speak from experience.

With that said, I have read many posts here from folks who have stayed at both, and I only remember about equal pros and cons.

In other words, this is all a matter of opinion.

The level of quality and furnishings at most Marriott timeshares are second to none and few, including DVC, are equal. Until you experience one it is hard to know what an upscale experience it is.

John, purely out of curiosity, what makes DVC have far less equipped units?

Most of the DVC units are much smaller physically than an equivilent Marriott unit. Items like the mini-kitchens vs a full sized at the Marriott as well as the amount of things like entertainment equipment and in unit washer/dryers missing in many DVC's. It certainly isn't the little touches like the mouse soaps but the overall level of home like equipment vs a hotel type outfitting.