• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What am I missing?

Dyehard20

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looking
Just returned from Hilton Hawaiian Village where I rejected a $20k package that included 3500 points/yr, 11000 bonus points, home resort in Hawaii etc. I then found this site and the resale market. I’ve seen listings for $275 that includes 3500 or so points annually. Is this the same as I was offered (minus the home resort/bonus points). Are people just trying to get out of the yearly mtx fees? If I did buy from a resort in LV for a low price do I get the deed and just take on the annual fees? And are all the fees clearly laid out in the paperwork? Thanks.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Welcome to TUG. Glad you found us and I believe the answer to all your questions is "YES." I'm sure the HGVC experts will be along soon to
give you all the info you need.

T3PO

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looking - Hawaii Home Location
Just returned as well. We were being sold on a package that was $39K with 8200 points, plus 4 additional weeks worth of points. Seemed like a "good" deal until we found information about the secondary market and the extremely lower outlay to "own". I would also be interested in learning more about the Hilton Village units as that would be a preferred home destination. Not trying to thread jack, just figured it would make sense to combine into 1 thread.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Just returned from Hilton Hawaiian Village where I rejected a $20k package that included 3500 points/yr, 11000 bonus points, home resort in Hawaii etc. I then found this site and the resale market. I’ve seen listings for $275 that includes 3500 or so points annually. Is this the same as I was offered (minus the home resort/bonus points). Are people just trying to get out of the yearly mtx fees? If I did buy from a resort in LV for a low price do I get the deed and just take on the annual fees? And are all the fees clearly laid out in the paperwork? Thanks.

Depends on the deal. There are several fees that go along with enrolling your new week into HGVC. There is a ~$410 HGVC transfer fee and the deed prep/title transfer (anywhere from $250 - $600, depending the title company and whether you get title insurance or not). These can be negotiated with the seller. If they are truly trying to get out from under, they might pay them. These two are due at closing. There is also an ~$610 HGVC enrollment fee that HGVC will bill after closing.

You would have paid the majority of those fees if you were to buy from the developer (the ~$610 fee drops to ~$400 if you purchase from the developer). My guess is that you would not have paid for title insurance, but the cost of their deed prep is much higher than a place like LT Transfers (roughly $250).

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Just returned as well. We were being sold on a package that was $39K with 8200 points, plus 4 additional weeks worth of points. Seemed like a "good" deal until we found information about the secondary market and the extremely lower outlay to "own". I would also be interested in learning more about the Hilton Village units as that would be a preferred home destination. Not trying to thread jack, just figured it would make sense to combine into 1 thread.
Welcome to TUG.

If you just purchased then rescind while you can. You can save thousands then take your time to research and determine if this is right for you and your family

T3PO

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looking - Hawaii Home Location
Welcome to TUG.

If you just purchased then rescind while you can. You can save thousands then take your time to research and determine if this is right for you and your family

Oh, we did not purchase. After browsing the secondary market it became apparent that the initial outlay through the resort was monstrous. As the OP lead off with, I was interested in learning about any additional fees, thoughts on having the HHV as your home resort vs another location and general sentiment about HGVC. Amazing to me that the direct sales model would be 2,3 or more times expensive than the secondary market. Other than getting a few free weeks, I do not see any perk to buying direct from HGVC, maybe there is something I'm missing...

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Welcome to TUG.

Yes, if the timeshare is paid off then you’re taking over the ongoing maintenance fees. But I suggest that you take your time to learn about the system and determine the right amount of points you’ll need. As Dayooper pointed out above their are costs with the resale purchase of each week.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Here’s a link to the Club documents
2020 Club Rules & Fees (link)
2020 Point Chart and Open Season Cash rental rates (link).

There are exceptions to the rules but here’s the basics for the majority of resorts

HGVC owners have three reservation windows:

(1) Home Week window (for most HGVC resorts this is a 3 month period beginning 12 months prior to check-in and ends 9 months prior to check-in)​
The home week window give owners a three month priority access into their home resort (from 12 months to 9 months before check-in). However when booking a stay during the home week window you must reserve the exact unit size and type in the season that you purchased (for example studio, 1 bedroom plus, etc) for the exact number of days owned (full week, 4 nights, etc) based on the single fixed checkin date at your home resort. There is no flexibility. Your full point allocation is used during the home week window.

(2) Club Reservation window (for most HGVC resorts this begins 9 month prior to check-out through 1 day prior to check-in; generally requires a three night minimum)​
HGVC only works like a point based system during the Club Reservation window and generally begins 9 months before checkout for most resorts. During the Club reservation window anyone can book any season, resort (including their home resort), unit size and/or type for any number of days (minimum of 3 nights). This means all HGVC resort owners have an equal chance at booking at any HGVC resort during the Club Reservation window. Expect lots of competition during peak travel season and at high demand resorts.

(3) Open Season Cash Rental Reservation window (cash rentals begin 30 days before check-out through 1 day prior to check-in; generally requires a two night minimum; available to members for their personal use only; however not available at all resorts)​

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Basically HGVC is a great system who treat their resale owners with almost all of the same benefits as buying from the developer. A resale purchase will not count towards elite status which starts at 14K points. Elite status really isn’t worth much anyways. That is the only difference.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
What is their ROFR like. Are they aggressive with it?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thanks. These are dated though. Does anyone know the trend recently. We got some good Hyatt deals during periods when Tuggers reported a lull in ROFR.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Resales which will pass ROFR can be had for 50c-$1/pt depending on the TS. Avoid low point, low season packages (LT 4200)... those are giveaways. Heck, I "bought" 5,000 at an affiliate (voluntary enrollment) for -0-. The guy was just tired of paying MF's.

BTW, MF's are assessed based on size (type) of unit, not points or season. So, for the same size unit, a high season (platinum) TS gets you more points than a low (silver) season, yet you'd pay the same MF's. Also, don't get hung up on location - points are points - unless you want to stay in a high-demand locale like Oahu where home-week is a leg up.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
thanks. These are dated though. Does anyone know the trend recently. We got some good Hyatt deals during periods when Tuggers reported a lull in ROFR.
It’s not dated. Both http://rofr.net and the TUG sticky thread are current.

For the sticky thread, the latest information is going to be at the end of thread. You have to start from the back ;)

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It’s not dated. Both http://rofr.net and the TUG sticky thread are current.

For the sticky thread, the latest information is going to be at the end of thread. You have to start from the back ;)
ahh , got it. Thank you

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
What is their ROFR like. Are they aggressive with it?

Its been observed that HGV is less likely to exercise rofr in the last quarter of the year when the budget is running low. Best month to make an offer is September.

The other advantage is you wont pay club fees for that year if it closes after Oct 1st and you are positioned better to make your first year reservation in the following year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would also be interested in learning more about the Hilton Village units as that would be a preferred home destination.
You will have booking preference if you book exactly what you purchased. For example, if you buy a 2 bedroom unit in Lagoon Tower, you'll be able to book your week one year in advance in that tower in a 2 bedroom. If you want a different sized room or a deluxe room or a different tower, you'll book at the 9 month window with everyone else who owns Hilton, no matter where they own.

This property is one of the highest demand properties and most difficult to book if you are traveling high season. It makes sense to own there if you plan to stay there for a week every year in the same room type in the same tower. If you want to stay there weeks 51 and 52, those are called event weeks. You pay a lot more to own those weeks, but you also don't have to compete with other owners to book those weeks, you just have it booked automatically.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
To add on to what @presley mentioned, there are several locations that are harder to book than others. Because the SW Florida/Gulf Coast resorts are affiliates, they are not mandatory (they do not have to enroll into HGVC). Many of those owners never enroll their units and they just use their fixed weeks. The ski weeks at Breckenridge/Park City are very difficult to use a club booking on. They ski weeks are fixed and the owners rarely release them. Oahu during the school breaks is very hard as well. Hilton Head can be difficult during those times too.

Once you learn the system, things get easier and the more resorts they build, the more choices you will have.