• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What about points clubs?

AaronM

Reaction score
[Split from 2009 thread -DeniseM Moderator]

--------------------------

After reading through 15 pages of feedback regarding walking away, with the last post nearly two years ago, I am unsure whether to pose my question here.

Several years back we purchased x points from Shell Vacation Clubs for a package that we have been unable to get any use from aside from the "playdeck" feature. Since we financed, on top of the yearly MF, the ownership cost had become prohibitive for my family to sustain.

I went to Shell to find out about surrender, and, of course, they were unwilling to accept back our meager little package of points and call it good. And I have desperately tried to keep up with the payments and MF on something we never use for its intended purpose but am failing. I do not want to impose on my fellow owners, just get out of the worst purchase ever with some modicum of personal responsibility.

It appears now that the only option present are paying thousands of dollars to give it away for free (if I can) or walk away and take the hit on my credit. Given that I have those choices and a family that needs that money far more than Shell, I am seriously considering the latter option.

Since I had already invested $15,000 in the "free" vacation they offered, I did not think it would be too big a deal to ask for the out. Apparently, its just another lesson I'm learning the hard way about Shell...but I'm not feeling a lot of shame for considering walking away at this time regardless of what I have read here. I might if I do.

So, the questions are: Is anybody with helpful advice still out there? And does the points only aspect of my scenario make this question better asked in another thread?

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
HOAs can make alot of mistakes that cost timeshare member/owners lots of money in the long run. One case in point is Foxrun, where the HOA pursued an ill-conceived mission that ended up in a lawsuit that they lost big-time. I ran for the HOA because I saw what was happening with their course of action, and as an unknown I lost, but they created an advisory position for me. I felt ultimately it was a little to late to turn back from their ill-fated mission to take on a more powerful entity. It was looking like a mountain feud, a Hatfields and McCoys set in North Carolina. I got out, sold my three weeks and never looked back. I did save $ though...my maint fee was $350/wk when I bought (plus a $500 special assessment to help pay for first phase of lawsuit)...now I think their maint fees are over $600. Somebody has to pay those legal bills...the HOA board isn't going to pony up for all of it, even though they made the bad decision to sue a big player in Lake Lure. That's why due diligence is so important when buying a timeshare, particularly at small mom & pop "resorts" showing their age. As for the OP's oriiginal posting, hmmm, I forgot what the question was! :rofl: