• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Weston, FL

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
The clock is ticking for our first visit to V V @ Weston at the end of March and I’m hoping for some advice from those who have frequented the area in the past. (Thanks again to my fellow TUG member who made this unit available).

I have done some traveling along the SE coast of FL but never for anything more than a day or two. Not being very familiar with the Weston area of FL we have been researching local restaraunts and activities. Our 7yr old Grand Daughter will be with us so we are also looking to ensure we have plans for her besides the onsite pools.

1. We love fresh seafood and southern delights. We are trying to find some of the best “local” haunts that serve up good seafood and gator at reasonable prices. I always cringe when the only alternatives I can find are chains as the “fresh” typically gets lost in most (but not all). What have you found that was memorable.?

2. There are a lot of tour guides advertising for Everglades park tours. Have you done this and had a great experience? I have done airboats in the past but I’m not sure how safe the high noise level will be for the GD.
3. have you taken kids to any of the water parks in the area? If so, could you share your opinion of the good/bad of that particular park?

Thanks in advance to everyone who might have something to share. I know there are so many members here that spend a great deal of time in FL and am looking forward to your comments.

Stephen

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year we took our then 7 year old grandson on an airboat ride and we all enjoyed it and were not bothered by the noise.
when we stayed at Weston we took advantage of some of their sightseeing day trips

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We have stayed at VV@W twice, and VV@Bonaventure and Misner each once. We enjoyed our stays in the area except for the traffic congestion and distance from the beaches. We don't normally eat out a lot so I cant offer any suggestions except that we find it difficult to locate any stores or restaurants because they are all built back in off the roads with thick trees/shrubs next to the roads blocking sightlines to the buildings. There are no large signs permitted along the streets so a GPS will be a great help when looking for something.

We have done airboat everglades tours twice and I don't remember them being particularly loud, maybe since we sat up a the front of the boat. We used Everglades Holiday Park for our last excursion. Their boats have a canopy so you aren't sitting in the sun all afternoon if that is a concern. Do not listen to the boat commentator when he tells you its ok to stick your hand out over the edge of the boat to take a better photo of the alligators because they are used to people -he's kidding!! -he told us after I & two others stuck our hands out about 4 feet from a gators mouth to get a good photo! They also have live gator shows and the gator wrestler doing the show when we were there was a guy we'd seen on a TV show called Gator Boys. There was a small exhibit area to walk through with various alligators and snakes in cages.

We also enjoyed walking around the huge Flea Market-Swap Shop at the old Drive-In movie grounds. Sawgrass Mills Outlet mall is the another big shopping area. Part of the mall is under a roof and some parts are outdoors but you don't realize it as you are walking along until the temperature changes.

I usually find some good suggestions in the "Things to Do" section on Trip Advisor for the city/area we are planning on visiting. Enjoy your trip with your granddaughter!

~Diane

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
the huge Flea Market-Swap Shop at the old Drive-In movie grounds.
That sounds like my kind of spot. I love finding vendors at the flea markets that make stuff locally. I sell stuff at our local market that I make in my spare time and seeing what others do is always inspiring. My better half has a collection of pottery from AZ and NM we found by traveling back roads and stopping at local shops. Any hints on where the Flea Market is?

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
:thumbup:

gresmi

TUG Member
Reaction score
McSteve, I live in the area. It is one of the best places for good restaurants anywhere in the USA. Suggest you try Yelp, if you've not used it before. Many of the Johnny Come Lately "seafood" restaurants like Submarine Crab, for example, are waaaaaay over priced for the amount of seafood you get for your money. Think a bunch of rice with a smattering of seafood. Other old school restaurants or Spanish (ethnic) restaurants are much better bang for your buck.

Here are a few I like.

Nick's Bar - Hollywood Beach (my favorite local place. Right on the beach.) Seafood, wings, mahi sandwich, shrimp salad, burgers
I Love Tacos - Pembroke Pines (try the grilled shrimp tacos or
Flanigans - Local owners chain with decent prices on fish
Vienna Cafe - Cooper City (outstanding food and service)
My Big Fat Greek Restaurant - Ft Lauderdale (great Greek food with nice portions. Their hummis is to die for.)
Old Heidelberg (German Restaurant) - Ft Lauderdale (great German food)
Tipsy Boar - downtown Hollywood (The chefs are always coming up with something new. Also, they have their own parking lot. You come in through the alley behind the restaurant. You can thank me later for that tip.)

The Hollywood Beach Boardwalk is a fun place to spend an afternoon. Plenty of good eats there, too. This is where you will find Nick's Bar. Parking can sometimes be a challenge. Try to use the multi-story lots.

Have fun and hope you enjoy your trip down south.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
You should consider cancelling this trip. The Government of Canada has issued a travel advisory for the area.
Because of this advisory, it's likely your travel medical insurance will not be in effect, making you a cash buyer for medical services in Florida if you need them :eek:.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Here are a few I like.

Nick's Bar - Hollywood Beach (my favorite local place. Right on the beach.) Seafood, wings, mahi sandwich, shrimp salad, burgers
I Love Tacos - Pembroke Pines (try the grilled shrimp tacos or
Flanigans - Local owners chain with decent prices on fish
Vienna Cafe - Cooper City (outstanding food and service)
My Big Fat Greek Restaurant - Ft Lauderdale (great Greek food with nice portions. Their hummis is to die for.)
Old Heidelberg (German Restaurant) - Ft Lauderdale (great German food)
Tipsy Boar - downtown Hollywood (The chefs are always coming up with something new. Also, they have their own parking lot. You come in through the alley behind the restaurant. You can thank me later for that tip.)

I'll have to keep these ones on file for our next trip. As mentioned by a few others, the government is starting to put travel restrictions on inbound air travel for non-Canadians and may go even further in the coming weeks. I cancelled my flights with Air Canada (booked with points) and got all of the points back. My daughter suggested we drive as the land crossings are not as iffy but given the current map for the spread of CV-19 in Florida, the section from Miami to Ft Lauderdale appears to be a hot spot for new cases at this point. I'd hate to get there for the week and then bring it back with me.

Here's hoping this gets under control before our Hilton Head and Massanutten trip in June.

custcarcen

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll have to keep these ones on file for our next trip. As mentioned by a few others, the government is starting to put travel restrictions on inbound air travel for non-Canadians and may go even further in the coming weeks. I cancelled my flights with Air Canada (booked with points) and got all of the points back. My daughter suggested we drive as the land crossings are not as iffy but given the current map for the spread of CV-19 in Florida, the section from Miami to Ft Lauderdale appears to be a hot spot for new cases at this point. I'd hate to get there for the week and then bring it back with me.

Here's hoping this gets under control before our Hilton Head and Massanutten trip in June.
Vacation Village runs a meeting at the Pool on Monday’s at 9:00 AM where you can actually talk to the guy that runs the Everglades tours, as well as the folks that run trips to Miami and Key West.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Vacation Village runs a meeting at the Pool on Monday’s at 9:00 AM where you can actually talk to the guy that runs the Everglades tours, as well as the folks that run trips to Miami and Key West.
That's great to know. I contacted the concierge at VV and they didn't tell me this. All they said was they have lots of brochures to choose from. Thanks for the heads up ;)

gresmi

TUG Member
Reaction score

Steve, I believe that was a good move to cancel. We have quite a few cases. In Broward and Miami-Dade counties.

I am practicing social distancing and staying home as much as possible. On a good note getting a lot of work done around the house. :)

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
I am practicing social distancing and staying home as much as possible. On a good note getting a lot of work done around the house.
I’ve been doing the same. The gov’t here in Ontario has just issued a total closure of all “non essential” services starting midnight tonight. Hopefully that’ll force those who still don’t get it to stay home. I have some projects that I’m trying to get done to fill the time, but am running low on yard supplies. I tried using Lowes online ordering and delivery yesterday but apparently it crashed. As of this morning I still don’t have confirmation of my order. Maybe it caught a virus as well o_O

gresmi

TUG Member
Reaction score
At this point in time, I'm inclined to believe as many protesters do. This total lockdown of "non-essential" businesses needs to stop. Lives are being ruined by over-reaching governor bullies in snappy suits.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
At this point in time, I'm inclined to believe...

Nothing good comes from raising a contentious issue with a post that starts this way.
S. Florida is a hot-area, and the virus doesn't respect your beliefs.

gresmi

TUG Member
Reaction score
mcsteve, hope you're doing well up there. I pressure washed and resealed my stamped concrete driveway, painted my entire house by myself, redid the front landscaping and ripped out the whole jungle in the back to now have a blank slate to start over. We're all going to have showcase houses after this is all over. :D

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Got a ton of yard work done and did a bang up job on the paving stones out back getting the weeds cleaned out from between, a new sand grout laid in and then sealed. That was week 1 LOL. My business manufactures products for retail and we had to shut down but it gave us time to re-engineer some products, build some new prototypes and get a new product line ready instead of doing it this fall. All in all we are fairing pretty well compared to most. I am going stir crazy though as I’ve usually done at least 2 beach trips by now and our June is completely off the books as the Canada/US boarder remains closed until at least June 21.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Sorry your VV in Weston was postponed. We have been there many times as it’s close to where our son lives. He has been staying with us during work from home so glad to have him here as the Covid 19 is more rampant in South Florida. Out of the three resorts in Weston, we like VV best. Nice pool, snack bar and activities on site. There is a town square with lots of restaurants and shops. We are planning a trip in October hopefully virus will be less intrusive by then. Right now wearing masks in public, social distancing and staying home as much as possible.
Stay safe and healthy.
Silentg

gresmi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry your VV in Weston was postponed. We have been there many times as it’s close to where our son lives. He has been staying with us during work from home so glad to have him here as the Covid 19 is more rampant in South Florida. Out of the three resorts in Weston, we like VV best. Nice pool, snack bar and activities on site. There is a town square with lots of restaurants and shops. We are planning a trip in October hopefully virus will be less intrusive by then. Right now wearing masks in public, social distancing and staying home as much as possible.
Stay safe and healthy.

Silentg

If you do that in south FL, you should also be fine. It's a daily thing here at the grocery stores, Home Depot, etc. Not saying it's good or bad. It just is what it is right now. A lot of young folks couldn't take the shelter in place stuff and went crazy when bars and restaurants started to open back up. We've paid for that with a bit of a spike. Of course, testing is up. So, that may have something to do with the spike, also. Signs all around "Covid-19 testing here". :)

gresmi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got a ton of yard work done and did a bang up job on the paving stones out back getting the weeds cleaned out from between, a new sand grout laid in and then sealed. That was week 1 LOL. My business manufactures products for retail and we had to shut down but it gave us time to re-engineer some products, build some new prototypes and get a new product line ready instead of doing it this fall. All in all we are fairing pretty well compared to most. I am going stir crazy though as I’ve usually done at least 2 beach trips by now and our June is completely off the books as the Canada/US boarder remains closed until at least June 21.

mcsteve, Sounds like you're making the best of the situation. I've got a fellow doing some drywall work in my house for the last few days to repair damage from a pipe break behind the kitchen wall / family room. Had to extract the insurance company's teeth to get them to pay. Sigh. This fellow seems pretty good with the task at hand and I've decided to have him do some wainscoting in the dining room. Life goes on. :)