• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westminster Dog Show

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
This past weekend I was in NYC with a dear friend of mine from college (thank you Bonvoy Amex for the certificate!). Westminster started over the weekend and we purchased tickets for the agility trials. Wow - was it fun!

There are two rings going on simultaneously - one for small breeds; one for larger breeds. In the small breed course, the papillons and corgis are the kings of the course; but in the large breed course it's the Australian Shepherds. However, when a lab or a Golden runs the course , the crowd goes crazy. They are the crowd favorites. When many of the dogs finish, they leap into their handlers arms. It's really so cute.

Sometimes the dogs screw up in really funny ways and it just makes everyone laugh. For instance, some of the dogs run into the tunnel and then don't come out -- hilarious when you think how much they've practiced.

The agility competition was at Pier 92 and our ticket was only $22. My friend is going through some really crummy personal stuff and she was laughing and having a ball. We walked out and she said "My mind hasn't been this trouble-free in a long time".

I would love to go back for more next year.

And of course, the people watching is just as entertaining as the dog-spectating.

If you like this kind of thing, google "Rudy the bulldog 2019 agility". You will see an English bulldog kill the course and it's just so amazing on many levels.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Agility and Field Trials really are very entertaining. As @heathpack will agree, Earthdog and other scent work is amazing - her Dachshunds are well invested in that. I always like watching quality dog shows. My SIL breeds Russell and Parson (aka Jack) Russell Terriers, and her dogs often end up at Westminster. Glad your friend enjoyed herself, and I'm pleased you had a good time.

Dave

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Agility and Field Trials really are very entertaining. As @heathpack will agree, Earthdog and other scent work is amazing - her Dachshunds are well invested in that. I always like watching quality dog shows. My SIL breeds Russell and Parson (aka Jack) Russell Terriers, and her dogs often end up at Westminster. Glad your friend enjoyed herself, and I'm pleased you had a good time.

Dave

Phoenix did her first Nosework Tests this past weekend, something called an Odor Recognition Test, which is the entry step into the sport of Nosework. The dogs have to find the target odor hidden in one of 12 identical boxes.

There were three tests, she passed all three! Yay for her, very well done.

Next weekend she has two Hunt Tests.

But none of these make very good spectator sports. Not like agility or dock diving or flyball.

PS her breeder is making ‘I might be placing a puppy noises...’. Crack dealer.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Phoenix did her first Nosework Tests this past weekend, something called an Odor Recognition Test, which is the entry step into the sport of Nosework. The dogs have to find the target odor hidden in one of 12 identical boxes.

There were three tests, she passed all three! Yay for her, very well done.

Next weekend she has two Hunt Tests.

But none of these make very good spectator sports. Not like agility or dock diving or flyball.

PS her breeder is making ‘I might be placing a puppy noises...’. Crack dealer.
Awww...why not? Three are as easy as two, right? That's what we said about having two and it's not true but rewarding anyway. :)

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I saw a snip of a trial with a hilariously distracted dog on Inside Edition last night -- the crowd loved him! I thought the dog show was usually broadcast on Monday and Tuesday, but could find it nowhere on my channel guide yesterday.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw a snip of a trial with a hilariously distracted dog on Inside Edition last night -- the crowd loved him! I thought the dog show was usually broadcast on Monday and Tuesday, but could find it nowhere on my channel guide yesterday.
It was on FS1 (Fox Sports 1).

geekette

Reaction score
I had a border collie, we did agility. it was a freaking blast! She was clearly the better athlete of our team.

The tunnel thing? it's not a tunnel they've been through before. It's a lot for the dogs to take in a different course and be able to not pay attention to the exciting stuff on the course, but to their handler. my dog got spooked on a teeter totter once and that was it for her, would not touch them. I had to plan a course around it, knowing we'd dump points by not attempting, but not really contenders, doing it for fun. I needed her happy vs add to her anxiety. She was a timid sweetie, this was to build confidence and socialize. She made some great friends, as did I.

Only the handler gets to walk the course, not the dog. It is all new to them the first time they get there. every course is different. even on the same day. It's mostly about the handler being able to "tell" their dog how to get through. It's a combo of body/arm movement and vocal commands. It's a challenge as a handler. I was like a student driver in a race car. try not to slow her down, but, dang, I don't know how to steer! so many laughs at myself, at her, at all of it. yes, it is Good Stuff. The best bonding experience ever. I loved going around, just me and my dog.

I am so glad your friend got so much out of it. It really is a fun spectator sport! Dogs are good people, and most people that know it are good people. I would bet there was a warm and happy atmosphere there, it's the spirit of the community. Many of those competitors have met each other many times before.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
^^^ That was absolutely adorable & hilarious.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
My very favorite agility competition (and my favorite breed):

Showing everyone the true possibilities of agility!

Here's the opposite:

geekette

Reaction score
ya know, cat videos don't do a thing for me, but I can't get enough dog vids...