• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin, Westin Nanea, or Marriott Ocean Club?

Yolie912

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

Wondering which one to request. Is there one I’m forgetting? What does everyone think of the Marriott Koolina? Better than Maui? Thoughts and tips appreciated.

Yoli

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Are you renting or looking to exchange or using options or destination points? Are you comparing the worst views with the worst views or the best views with the best views or just the general location and room and resort amenities. Also which size unit?

Yolie912

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the 2 bedrooms. I’m exchanging.
Just general location and amenities. :)

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
If you need a two bedroom unit you will have easier success if you target places with only two bedroom units or larger; Marriott pretty much stopped depositing two bedroom units into Interval because they can earn double the exchange fees by depositing the one bedrooms and the studios separately. That means you should favor Waiohai or Nanea (or Hyatt, which is basically impossible). But both of those two have view issues for their worst units, which is where you would likely be placed.

Yolie912

TUG Member
Reaction score
But in terms of amenities? Pool? Is Marriott nice?

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
The Marriott has a nice pool area. Location is close to Whalers. Downside is that the studios don’t have a kitchenette. Only a microwave and college refrigerator. No washer/dryers in the room. If you get the remodeled hotel section layout is just two hotel rooms combined for a one bedroom and can get parking lot view. No shuttle bus to Lahaina.

Nanea has a nice pool area but I find it crowded with chairs. Just a weird layout. Lots of bad view rooms and there’s the shuttle bus that beeps constantly from backing up multiple times a day & night. I like the location because there’s great snorkeling off of Kaanapali beach in front of WKOR/N. Duke’s is close by and WKOR restaurants. Westin has shuttles to Lahaina, whalers and its other properties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
But in terms of amenities? Pool? Is Marriott nice?
All of the places you are considering are high end with good amenities (at least when the resorts are fully open). The issues will be view and availability (especially for a 2bd and especially in 2021 and 2022 when many are seeking exchanges having deferred their 2020 usage).

I suggest putting in a very broad search and taking what you get -- and adding e-plus so you can re-trade if something better comes along.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

Wondering which one to request. Is there one I’m forgetting? What does everyone think of the Marriott Koolina? Better than Maui? Thoughts and tips appreciated.

Yoli
For a 2 BR you should list all that are acceptable. I'd list all Westin's and both MVC sections. I like Ko Olina but I like Maui and Kauai better unless it's your first time there then I'd do Oahu for a week. If you list Ko Olina your chances of success will be much higher and that's likely what you'll get. All are very nice but the older section of the Marriott doesn't have a full Kitchen. Just know that a 2 BR will be difficult.
If you need a two bedroom unit you will have easier success if you target places with only two bedroom units or larger; Marriott pretty much stopped depositing two bedroom units into Interval because they can earn double the exchange fees by depositing the one bedrooms and the studios separately. That means you should favor Waiohai or Nanea (or Hyatt, which is basically impossible). But both of those two have view issues for their worst units, which is where you would likely be placed.
That used to be true but I'm not sure it is anymore since you can request a 2 BR at any location even if exchanging a smaller unit. I don't think it'll matter in the situation at hand and I wouldn't not list anything that was acceptable for a 2 BR.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I was thinking the 2 bedrooms. I’m exchanging.
Just general location and amenities. :)
What do you own?
Westin or Marriott?
Depositing a Platinum Marriott 12 months out to get another Marriott and what month are you looking to travel? Mar to Mar exchanges have a 21+ day preference; other timeshares can’t see those units.

Deposit a top tier Westin 2BR or a Vistana 1 or 2 BR in the highest season? Vistana to Vistana exchanges have 3? Day preference in II.

If you are not trading a Westin or Marriott Highest season/Platinum/ Platium plus it is a whole other ball game.
Just trying to put things in perspective

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Westin, Westin Nanea, or Marriott Ocean Club?

My personal opinion is that the Westin and Ocean Club are both very nice resorts.

Nanea is nice, but when I toured it, there was an off-shore breeze and we could smell the sewage treatment plant located across the road. Maybe that is a rare weather condition and generally doesn't happen. I think that WKORN (north Westin) and next door to Nanea could occasionally have a similar problem.

Like others have said, put in a wide request of acceptable TS and be satisfied with whatever match you get.

Yolie912

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I own Vistana. FYI. I just put in the request.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
We just arrived WKORV-N today on an II trade. The check-in lady was quite clear about inventory for Interval trades being "island view". Because we got here early morning, we were able to negotiate a more acceptable island "pirate" view, between 2 buildings you can almost see the ocean, and we got a higher floor, but still technically an island view. The biggest difference when I trade for Marriott is that I get a view category, which in probably 15 stays, they have always honored, and if you don't like the view code, you can always re-trade. With Westin there is no such thing and you don't know what view until you get here.

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC (AUL), WKV, SVV, HGVC (BLVD, GW, Elara), HRC , WM
We just arrived WKORV-N today on an II trade. The check-in lady was quite clear about inventory for Interval trades being "island view". Because we got here early morning, we were able to negotiate a more acceptable island "pirate" view, between 2 buildings you can almost see the ocean, and we got a higher floor, but still technically an island view. The biggest difference when I trade for Marriott is that I get a view category, which in probably 15 stays, they have always honored, and if you don't like the view code, you can always re-trade. With Westin there is no such thing and you don't know what view until you get here.
Is parking free in WKORV-N with Interval exchange? I am heading there next month. Thanks

JoJo12

TUG Member
Reaction score
The sewer smell is a regular thing at the Westin, at least every time we have been there. Which was the reason we bought at Maui Ocean Club instead. There is a shuttle to Lahina if you walk to Whalers. We have stoped even renting cars, just shuttle from the airport and use the Lahina shuttle or Uber.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
The sewer smell is a regular thing at the Westin, at least every time we have been there. Which was the reason we bought at Maui Ocean Club instead. There is a shuttle to Lahina if you walk to Whalers. We have stoped even renting cars, just shuttle from the airport and use the Lahina shuttle or Uber.
We were at nanea for 2 weeks in March and never once smelled the “sewer smell”.