• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John...Pluses and Minuses

klpenny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harboside Atlantis, Sheraton Flex ,Vidanta
Hi! Thinking of staying at the Westin St. John. What are the pluses and minuses and how is the island post hurricane? Anywhere to play golf?

Last edited by a moderator:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Hi! Thinking of staying at the Westin St. John's. What are the pluses and minuses and how is the island post hurricane? Anywhere to play golf?
No golf on St. John.

The island is great as is the resort. How would you be booking? Using star options? Virgin Grand is up the hill and you can park outside of your unit.

klpenny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No golf on St. John.

The island is great as is the resort. How would you be booking? Using star options? Virgin Grand is up the hill and you can park outside of your unit.
No golf on St. John.

We have a special II certificate we were given as a bonus from developer. It has a lot of power. Trying to figure out where to use it.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Amazing beaches you won't find in many places.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
We have a special II certificate we were given as a bonus from developer. It has a lot of power. Trying to figure out where to use it.
Let us know if you get WSJ with that certificate

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon

WSJ is never available in II, certificate or not.

klpenny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC

I hope you can put that to good use, but it wouldn't be the first time a developer misrepresented the value of something.

Was this given as a bonus for a purchase or just for attending a presentation?

Dawnwrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN, WSJ-CV
I would like to kindly and gently let you know that this FABULOUS island is St John. No “s” on the end. Enjoy if you get there!!!

klpenny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I hope you can put that to good use, but it wouldn't be the first time a developer misrepresented the value of something.

Was this given as a bonus for a purchase or just for attending a presentation?
It was a bonus for purchase.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I have points as well I could use if it never matches.

WSJ is the only Marriott/Vistana resort I have never ever seen in Interval. Even during Covid. It will be very difficult to book with points as well. Many many weeks owners that typically use or rent their weeks.

Bill4728

Reaction score
St John has several areas of the resort Two are on the hill side of the island's main road and are cut off from the main resort. The main resort and all the others areas are on the beach side of the road.

Some people love the hillside units because the pools are very private. And one of the two areas has great views.

The several areas of the beach side resort are either on the beach / pool or a short walk to the beach and many of the units have views.

From the resort you need to taxi or drive into town.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
good luck on getting in - if you do, just know you won't regret it. Basically plan for a beach day every day, dinner in town and then back to the room - that is about the extent of the activities

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
It was a bonus for purchase.

Congrats on the purchase.

They used to give Bonvoy points promo certificates - something that allowed you to buy 330,000 points for $2275. Did you get any of those?

I never heard of these "powerful" II certificates before. I wonder if they replaced the Bonvoy certificates, which have become a lot less valuable over the years with all the point devaluations.

But either way - to get something in II it has to be deposited. I am not sure how much WSJ goes in II, especially now that developer-controlled weeks may be moved to Abound.

Last edited:

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
WSJ is never available in II, certificate or not.
Reason: Because we (owners) get more for renting our units out than we could ever get by trading within any system.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
good luck on getting in - if you do, just know you won't regret it. Basically plan for a beach day every day, dinner in town and then back to the room - that is about the extent of the activities
Not all good dining is in town. Give Shambles, up on the hill road, a try for decent prices and decent food. The owner used to have a place near the lumber yard...until the hurricanes turned it into a 'shambles.' There are also decent snacks and drinks with a good view at the Windmill. The driveway for getting there is on the other side of the road as you approach Shambles.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure how much WSJ goes in II, especially now that developer-controlled weeks may be moved to Abound.

None at all. I have never seen any WSJ week.

I did just do a search of the sightings forum and there were a couple weeks during Covid when the USVI was shut-down and you couldn't go. (Not sure that really counts.)
Other than that the last sighting reported was over a decade ago.

klpenny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just to clarify:
St. Johns is in eastern Canada
St. John is in the Virgin Islands

I removed all the extra "s'es" from the posts above.

I too, suspect that Marriott over-hyped the II certificate, since we know they give them out like candy. For example, Marriott gave all the weeks owners whose reservations were cancelled due to COVID, restricted II certificates as compensation.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
While i have no idea about II availability, there is all kinds of WSJ StarOption availability for the fall. Of course it’s hurricane season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
While i have no idea about II availability, there is all kinds of WSJ StarOption availability for the fall. Of course it’s hurricane season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you get there before 1 Oct, you will find many restaurants closed. They start to reopen in the the first week or 2 of Oct.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
If you get there before 1 Oct, you will find many restaurants closed. They start to reopen in the the first week or 2 of Oct.

Thank you, that is helpful. I’ve booked 8 nights starting October 7. Hopefully most restaurants will be open by then. I might push back another week if there is availability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Thank you, that is helpful. I’ve booked 8 nights starting October 7. Hopefully most restaurants will be open by then. I might push back another week if there is availability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This shouldn't change your plans at all, but I highly recommend travel insurance if you are planning travel to the Caribbean in September or October. Those August-October are the "busiest" months in the 6-month long "hurricane season".

1675781981558.png

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
i go the first and second week of October, anniversary is the 2nd and birthday is the 8th - never had any major problems to date - but definitely buy travel insurance always

Watford

Reaction score
Hi! Thinking of staying at the Westin St. John. What are the pluses and minuses and how is the island post hurricane? Anywhere to play golf?
Very pleasant resort. We stayed in the villas in December -up the hill from the resort but overall, i think it is a great location. Golf carts for the uphill and walk downhill!! There are small swimming pools up the hill but the water was cool to say the best, so we did not use them. Rooms were excellent.
Car rental is expensive, and the roads narrow. Drive on the left with the steering wheel on the left. Taxis are relatively expensive as they charge per person and can wait for a period of time to fill up with passengers. WSJ to Cruze bay and back for 2 people is about $28.
We had some excellent meals in town - i think my favorite was Morgans Mango but we also enjoyed the brewery.
Bring or buy bug repellant as we were bitten numerous times on a daily basis!! Local suntan lotion is unpleasant due to being like toothpaste.
Beaches are delightful.
Weather delightful
Everything is Island pricing ...expensive!
Dolphin store is walkable and probably the best place to get groceries, beer .... Discount with your westin card.